TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

New Boost Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Boost Problem

Taking a nice easy cruise home from work last week,I noticed (in 5th gear) my boost gauge was burried at 25 psi. I played around with my driving but it never went that high again. The next following days I noticed the same problem. As time goes on it has gotten worse and worse- which brings me to today... When I give it full gas, the gauge is burried past 25 psi, the engine starts to studder and bog, and the check engine light even starts to flash. I've noticed this to be a problem in high gears (4,5,6) more so then low gears (1st, 2, 3) but it's gotten to the point where I can't fully accelerating w/o fear of burning out the turbo, or valves- or whatever decides to give first. I am using the ModShack BM- and have tuned it down to 0 turnes (with no change in output). I'm also using the Forge Diverter Valve (relo kit) with the yellow spring now. I have other mods, but these seem to be the only ones that could be causing the problems. Any ideas on what could be wrong? N75 gone bad? Did I miss a hose that may have popped off? What are your ideas?

Thanks!

Joe
Old 10-01-2006, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are you chipped? I think there is also some issue with faulty N75 valves, or leaks in hoses around

the N75 that can cause this. The N75 opens the wastegate, to dump the pressure. If it doesn't open, you get overpressure. Should be some old posts on this that you can search for.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yes, I am chipped

N75 was my first thought... and I did look at all the hoses to make sure there weren't any leaks- everything appeared to check out ok. I normally go to old posts to check for problems, but with the specific nature of my problem, I figured it'd be easier just to ask using my own words to describe the problem.

Any recomendations for new N75's?
Old 10-01-2006, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Best N75 replacemen is OEM. DON'T get the "race" version, does not play nice with the

boost machine.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default yeah, I've seen adds for the "race" version... I suppose I'll give Audi a call tomorow

How much is that going to put me back?
Old 10-01-2006, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 1stvwparts.com has it for $64. PN is 058 906 283 F. I would check the hose from

the N75 to the wastegate again, though. Seems that's a common failure that causes symptoms very similar to yours.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Alright, thanks- I'll give that a once over again.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Your N75 is probably fine...>>

When you unplug it it defaults to No boost (routes to the intake). What is most likely bad is the line from the N75 to the wastegate as Mike said. There have been several failures of this line reported.. Leak in hose, Wastegate doesn't open, car over boosts.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:35 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mine had a leak, but was hard to detect. i just replaced it and that took care of it. like Steve

says, N75 is probably fine.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:46 AM

Default Easiest way to see if it is BM related is to unplug it &

try connecting the N75 as original....

The same has just happened to me .. I replaced my N75 with a new one & re-routed the hoses to leave the boost machine unpluged.... now I see the 25 psi mark sustained all the time .. but in my case it is just fine like that ....

My overboosting went up to 30psi !!!! .... tomorrow I will plug the BM back in & see if the problem was related to my prior N75 or to the BM ...

Some other times, like people have already said... hoses that go to the N75 tend to break & fail....not making the wastegate to open... double chec all the hoses that plug into the N75, after trying with the BM unplugged ...

Cheers & good luck !!!

Robo

Quick Reply: New Boost Problem