TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT - Good choice for a 17 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT - Good choice for a 17 year old?

Hi
My 17 year old needs a "new" car. He'd like something fun and sporty - of course. I'd like him to have something safe and fairly reliable - of course. Would a used TT be both? He would need to spend about 10K Canadian or so for the purchase so it would be likely a very well enjoyed TT. Is this just begging for expensive repair bills? I used to own an old 944 so I have some idea of how many burgers he might have to flip when things start going south with German engineering but I'm hoping that maybe the TT might be somewhat different.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

No. I would not recommend any performance car for a teenager. Second, the "newest" Mk 1 TT is 11 years old and I would not buy any 11 year old car for reliability. Audi's are probably the least expensive to maintain of any German luxury brand. The good news is that they protect the driver well in a crash.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks - I'm not worried about the "performance" aspect. I think a TT would be relatively tame compared to something like a Dodge Charger with a V8 which is what he was really wanting - and what I'm trying to steer him away from. I don't think he is the type of kid that would drive it unsafely. More worried about the other drivers out there.

11 year old anything is likely not going to be overly reliable but is an 11 year old TT that has been well maintained less reliable and more expensive to fix than others?

I've read about the need for regular belt/water pump changes - is this something I could do myself? - Any special tools needed? - I'm relatively handy.

I've looked hard and the options for something safe, fun and affordable are few or nonexistent - was just wondering if the TT might be worth looking at before I "force" a Honda Civic on him. You only live once - why not drive a TT??
Old 06-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Frznrth
Thanks - I'm not worried about the "performance" aspect. I think a TT would be relatively tame compared to something like a Dodge Charger with a V8 which is what he was really wanting - and what I'm trying to steer him away from. I don't think he is the type of kid that would drive it unsafely. More worried about the other drivers out there.

11 year old anything is likely not going to be overly reliable but is an 11 year old TT that has been well maintained less reliable and more expensive to fix than others?

I've read about the need for regular belt/water pump changes - is this something I could do myself? - Any special tools needed? - I'm relatively handy.

I've looked hard and the options for something safe, fun and affordable are few or nonexistent - was just wondering if the TT might be worth looking at before I "force" a Honda Civic on him. You only live once - why not drive a TT??
definitely don't change the timing belt if you're not sure of what you're doing because one small mistake will cost you an engine.

I agree that a TT is not a great choice for something reliable as mine has taken quite a toll on my wallet and my time, I'd say if he wants a charger find an sxt with 3.5l v6 instead of the hemi, I had one with 180000 miles with just basic maintenance and a little abuse every now and then but they are definitely nothing like the hemi which is actually the reason I sold mine. Honestly though if I owned my TT when I first started driving I would be dead, I had a Pontiac grand prix gt and barely survived it, I probably would have died in the charger too as it's too much fun to kick the rear end loose in a rwd vehicle.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Your going to pay a bloody fortune to insure him in any Sports Car; there is a reason I got a GTI when I was a younger, and thats because I was paying my own insurance and I *needed* 2-doors, sunroof, leather, manual, and a turbo.. it was half as much to insure as anything else with those features.. and even then I was paying $120/mo for liability... A TT woulda cost me $280+ for liability.. Compact Hatch back is not considered a sports car for some reason.

Full Coverage on my Audi is now half what my GTI Liability was; let em **** up something both very safe and very cheap.. I'd put my 2 boys in a GTI in a heartbeat.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

In the States the older TT's aren't super expensive to insure for some reason but I'm 22 while still at an age where insurance is higher 17 will probably be higher
Old 06-09-2017, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

probably didnt help that I had my DL suspended from speeding tickets within a year of getting my license.. if my boys are anything like me the'd be paying dearly for a TT... If your baby faced behind the wheel of a sports car, the cops wont cut you a break at all.. they feel like they are teaching you a hard lesson, and I suppose they are.

When I got pulled over in the RS6 @ 30yo, the cop said I had a beautiful car and he didnt want to make it any more expensive for me.. so he handed me BS ticket wasent any points... There's an age where you can enjoy a sports car, and thats when it was a quater/mid/late life crisis.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah I'm 22 and its about $70 a month for liability and I've never been pulled over in it but I don't get on it much and when I do I try to be pretty sure nobody is gonna see me
Old 06-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. We drove a Charger with a V6. Nice, solid, funish car. Then drove a TT with the I4. Huge departure. Fun power but not crazy. I don't think it would be an issue.

Insurance is stupid expensive but straight liability for a TT wouldn't be anymore than what he pays to drive a 2005 Ford Escape. Guess it's same class as a TT...

My issue was how I felt inside. I had an early 944 and absolutely loved how everything seemed to be exactly in the right place. I was hoping that the TT would feel as good but it was sort of claustrophobic with how you sit so low that you couldn't comfortably put your arm out the window and how the windshield seemed to not go up high enough - sort of blocked your vision - not that you are looking at clouds when driving but still. Was a disappointment. He didn't seem to mind it as much though.

Are the second gen TTs the same?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

For a 17yr old, I'll put them in an armored tank.

Quick Reply: TT - Good choice for a 17 year old?