TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

update on temp issue...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update on temp issue...

well... on first repair the car got a green temp sensor and then got new thermostat, but didn't fix it, so my car is back to the dealer again. This time they are replacing the thermostat switch by the radiator. The service advisor informed me that the car has a wrong part that is used for 6-cyl engines, and thought that I got into a front-end accident and has been replaced. But I never got into an accident nor replaced the part in question. Anyway... dunno how the wrong part got into my car...
Old 07-19-2005, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default that's just ridiculous........

throw parts at it until it's fixed? there are tests for each part in question but they are obviously not performing even basic troubleshooting.

then to blame an accident? puhhlease.

i'd take my car to another dealer if possible.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Audi techs no longer do troubleshooting...

search for my posts about my dealer and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:08 AM

Default gotta agree, but tahts how it goes at dealers sometimes

They have parts there to throw at them so they just do it.

In the end its probably just a waterpump anyway.

I checked the numbers on the fan switch.. there are two switches listed between 01 and 04 that I checked but never listed engine specifics.. so that there is sketchy.. Also they would probably not be able to tell the part number till it was out.. If it was out then they would have a new one in and know if it worked or not.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:10 AM

Default For mechanical stuff they do

If you are referring to the guided fault finding they now use for MIL/emissions problems you are correct the computer reads the codes and gives a list of tests they run. For a problem like this guided fault finding would have something but it would tell them to do all the things they are currently doing.. But more of a test them not try them like it seems they are doing.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

do you have the parts numbers???
Old 07-19-2005, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Two styles of swtich - one has square plug - 00-02 and one has round ....

03-05 or at least that's what i've seen for replacements. If you have a square plug there is a low temp replacement available as well - but not in the round plug.<ul><li><a href="http://www.germanautoparts.com/Audi/TT/Cooling/208/1">http://www.germanautoparts.com/Audi/TT/Cooling/208/1</a</li></ul>
Old 07-19-2005, 10:55 AM

Default not at our local dealership they don't...

I had my TT in for 3 service visits pertaining to the same popping noise in the front suspension. I told them to check ball joints and wheel bearings. They did no diagnostic work and replaced sway bar and mounts (removing my aftermarket bushings), both tie rod assemblies, steering rack and when none of that worked they blamed strut mounts which they wouldn't touch due to my Konis. I replaced the strut mounts and bearings which were not the problem. I took it to my independant shop, while still under Audi factory warranty mind you, after 30 minutes they called and said I had a bad wheel bearing. I paid to have it fixed, and the popping was gone.

on another trip to the dealer, I had them look at my shifter and complained of too much side to side slop. They said my shifter was like that from abuse and would need to replace the whole thing and denied warranty. I basically told them to **** off and looked at it myself only to discover the small plastic clip where the linkage pieces meet had popped off.

They don't do any diagnostic work and just swap parts until they get it.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default speaking of, I now have the same popping....

it's very faint, so I suppose I'll let it get a little worse before I investigate.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:01 AM

Default I have a new one that recently showed up...

the only things left to replace are the driver's side wheel bearing, ball joint and sway link. I might as well do it and have an all new front end.

Quick Reply: update on temp issue...