TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

What's the Consensus on Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the Pilot Sport A/S 3's I have on the TTS for daily. I like them so much I put a set on my wife's Toyota Avalon, she loves them too.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Motodad
I love the Pilot Sport A/S 3's I have on the TTS for daily. I like them so much I put a set on my wife's Toyota Avalon, she loves them too.
thanks for the positive.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

My SuperSports have been flawless to date - about 15K miles. Based on the feedback in this thread, looks like the Pilot Sport 4S will be my next set. Great discussion, all...
Old 01-16-2018, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Federal Evo FTW, 3sec off my Chuckwalla Track Time!!!

I cant truly comment on the Mich's or Conti's too much as the used ones I had would chunk out after each weekend of racing... yes I do mean chunks were literally falling out(I think MotoDad saw some of them @Willow). If you want to see them they are on my IG - CorporateGrunt. I can comment on these Federal Evo's though since I just got back from racing Chuckwalla Valley Raceway:
Federal Evo's are awesome(240 tread street/track purpose)... and I am even more excited for when I get my 18's dedicated for the track and upgrade to the Federal RSR / RSRR's! I put these Evo's on about 1,500 miles ago and have had nothing but positive things to say(and do) with them. They performed well when I drove up to NorCal and around the bay area in the rain, they have kept me safe and sticky on the canyons(mainly Mullholland and Topanga) here in SoCal... and the best part is I have actually shaved 3 seconds off my track time this weekend racing at Chuckwalla from a 2:18 to a 2:16 and the only difference was the tires... plus there is still plenty life to drive around on
IMO Federal for the win... or at least here in SoCal where its mostly sunny with a chance of rain ;P
Old 02-10-2018, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At the risk of drawing ire and fire, this Michelin fan says “try the new Firestone Firehawk Indy 500’s.” I recently put them on my wife’s A6 S-Line and liked them so much that I just replaced the MPSS’s on my TTS with a set. So far I am wow’d by the ride quality and how quiet they are. And the price point is great. Good reviews by Tirerack..... Check ‘em out.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
I never heard of a TT with OEM Toyos. I thought they all came with Pirellis. In any event, almost every professional review I have read rates the Michelin SuperSport as the best street summer tire. There are several other brands clumped together in second best with the ContiExtreme DW generally getting the nod as the best performance for the $ tire.

However, both have been replaced within the past year so you can find close-out prices on both of these tires. The DW has been replaced by the ExtremeContact Sport and professional reviews are rating it the equal of the Michelin SuperSports for less money. I have the Supersports and I think they are the best street tire I have ever owned. Michelin has replaced the SuperSports with the Pilot Sport 4S and the professional reviews I am seeing say it is significantly better than the SS.

So if you want the best, buy the 4S but the price and performance of the ExtremeContact Sports make them an even better bang for the buck. Tire Rack is supposed to publish test results of these tires soon but an internet search provides several other professional reviews.
Toyo Proxes T1 Sport came standard on mine TT RS. I went through a pair and they were great. I switched to Michelin P4S after that; also great. For some reason, the Toyo's were hard to come by and cost $500/tire on Tire Rack.

Considering Michelin A/S 3+ going forward as the car ages to deal with creaks and rattles, etc... Though, I've heard they make a very annoying whine at highway speeds after a few thousand miles.

I've had great results with DWS 06 on my Lexus daily driver, so definitely considering those, as well.

Last edited by pgeorgan; 07-28-2020 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:07 PM
KnoxvilleDriver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not seen anyone recommend the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R, but I have had good traction with these tires. Track car only and they do not last more than 6 track days, but traction has been great for me. Not great in the rain. Ran at NCM and Road Atlanta in medium to heavy rain and had a lot of sliding. Be careful in the rain, but in dry conditions they are excellent.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ken@bakerknoxville.com
I have not seen anyone recommend the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R...
I think there's a reason - they're just not that good. I had them on my TTS before I got the Michelin Pilot Sports and...the difference is noticeable.

I mean, they're not *bad*, just not really good at anything...especially anything wet. They're not that quiet, they wear pretty quickly and overall performance, IMO, was good but not great.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have tracked my TT with both the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and now the Continental Extreme Contact Sport. I prefer the Michelin. They are an excellent daily driver tire, too. Appropriate for occasional hooning and wet weather.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Angry Chicken
I have tracked my TT with both the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and now the Continental Extreme Contact Sport. I prefer the Michelin. They are an excellent daily driver tire, too. Appropriate for occasional hooning and wet weather.
Tracking aside, how do you like the Continental? I ask bc my TT is getting up there in miles and I've been dealing with wheel vibration issues for some time. I know it's not the P4S I have on, but I'm willing to try anything at this point. I have had very good experiences with Continental on my Lexus. Though, that could be because Lexus has 10# of road force for spec, instead of the 15# Audi uses.

Quick Reply: What's the Consensus on Tires?