TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

iOS 13.1 Broke USB Audio Track Switching??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts
Default iOS 13.1 Broke USB Audio Track Switching??

Hey everyone,

I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 13 last week and everything was working just fine. Then I did 13.1 last night, got in the car this morning and realized I couldn't select a song from the Media menu or use the Previous/Next Track buttons on the steering wheel. The track list appears and the Now Playing screen works fine, but if I click a track or press previous/next nothing happens at all.

I did some experimentation and I can play/pause, rewind/fast-forward, and switch to a different album or playlist from the VC, but not choose another song. I've tried restarting both phone and car multiple times (waited with the car off for 4+ hours), and nothing changes this.

Anyone else have this going? Any solutions other than wait for Apple?

(BTW I think CarPlay is awesome, just not on the TT due to the single-screen so I prefer to use the built-in media selector).

Resolved: Images for updating the Virtual Cockpit firmware to 0296 were recently posted on Audi forums. I've performed the update, and happy to say this issue is fixed completely. I can now switch tracks via VC/wheel totally normally again.

Last edited by macaddict111; 06-08-2020 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
iLucas97 (10-10-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by macaddict111
Hey everyone,

I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 13 last week and everything was working just fine. Then I did 13.1 last night, got in the car this morning and realized I couldn't select a song from the Media menu or use the Previous/Next Track buttons on the steering wheel. The track list appears and the Now Playing screen works fine, but if I click a track or press previous/next nothing happens at all.

I did some experimentation and I can play/pause, rewind/fast-forward, and switch to a different album or playlist from the VC, but not choose another song. I've tried restarting both phone and car multiple times (waited with the car off for 4+ hours), and nothing changes this.

Anyone else have this going? Any solutions other than wait for Apple?

(BTW I think CarPlay is awesome, just not on the TT due to the single-screen so I prefer to use the built-in media selector).
I'll test this and report back. The media playing has never worked well in my Audi's for years, with it jumping to wrong playlists when advancing to next song. It's probably the number of playlists/songs I have on the phone, so I've always made my selections from the phone.

I agree with the Carplay being under-integrated in the TTRS. There is no reason Audi couldn't stack the speedo/tach on one side, hid the MMI tabs at the top, and grow the Carplay screen significantly. With iOS 13, they could make it expand to the whole screen, but I suspect we'll have world peace before that happens.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JeffreyTT
I'll test this and report back. The media playing has never worked well in my Audi's for years, with it jumping to wrong playlists when advancing to next song.
Yeah mine's funky, it always plays the same damn song when I first plug in the phone and I have to reconnect it to get it to work, but it's never done this before and that's one of the most common operations I do with the MMI.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Any luck Jeffrey? I'm surprised I'm not getting any response on here, I figured there'd be a ton of people mad this broke!
Old 09-27-2019, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven’t done the update yet based upon your post. Would love to hear from others before I do.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by macaddict111
Any luck Jeffrey? I'm surprised I'm not getting any response on here, I figured there'd be a ton of people mad this broke!
I haven't had a chance to test it in-depth. It's basically doing the same thing it's always done, and why I use Carplay instead. I'll make a point to test it more tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the exact same problem after updating my phone to IOS13.1.2!!!

My iphone connects just fine to the car (i'm using the "default" media and not carplay) and it has no problem loading the playlist.

However, when you select a song from the playlist, you can't change to any other tracks via the steering wheel buttons OR the round dial next to the gearbox!!

No matter how many times I reconnect or restart it seems to be this way.

I did experiment a little further though, and for some reason if you play it via music ---> songs then there doesn't seem to be an issue with selecting which song you want to play! It only seems to prevent you from selecting songs when you load your playlist. Me being a very detailed person, I like to use my playlist because I have the songs selected as to how I like it! Therefore if I use the unsorted list (under songs) then it becomes difficult to scroll through hundreds of tracks for the ones I want to listen to.

I wonder if apple will have a fix to this soon? I doubt Audi will fix this on their end and its always a pain in the *** to go back to the dealer/maintenance to upgrade.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same Problem

i have a problem with my song section in the MMI and in the virtual cockpit. I can't choose a song that i wanna ear.
iPhone Xr IOS 13.x, Audi A1 (2nd generation) 2019. Someone has fixed it? Should i go to the service to fix it?
giggsy (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iLucas97
i have a problem with my song section in the MMI and in the virtual cockpit. I can't choose a song that i wanna ear.
iPhone Xr IOS 13.x, Audi A1 (2nd generation) 2019. Someone has fixed it? Should i go to the service to fix it?
So far there doesn't seem to be any fix in sight.

Have you tried playing your songs via My Music ---> Songs? I can actually select songs using that method, but not using a playlist.
iLucas97 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried it too and it works without problems, but I usually listen to music from certain playlists

Quick Reply: iOS 13.1 Broke USB Audio Track Switching??