TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present
View Poll Results: I will buy the Mk3 TT or TTS with:
Manual
37.93%
S-tronic
62.07%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Mk3: Manual Vs. S-tronic - Voice your opinion!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
On the R8, it won't auto upshift and will allow you to bounce off the rev limiter if you are in manual sport mode (dynamic). TT RS will follow this logic as well.

You likely can't find a modern car that won't auto downshift once you pass the kick down point of the accelerator, as that is a safety issue.

And as for left foot braking without cutting throttle, also not going to happen with a drive by wire system, as the brakes always have to overpower the throttle (see Toyota).
That's not quite correct. The R8 and RS models only upshift automatically while the engine is cold. For example the R8 and RS5 upshift at 6000 rpm while cold (actual redline on both is over 8000 rpm). Once the engine has reached operating temperature, there is no more automatic upshift in manual mode, regardless of whether you are in comfort, auto or dynamic mode.

Similarly, they only auto downshift for two reasons. Reason one is to avoid stalling the engine. Reason two is if you trigger the physical kickdown switch at the end of the throttle pedal. There's some resistance to triggering the switch, so you don't really accidentally trigger it unless you have elephant feet. Different manufacturers use different approaches on their high performance models for quickly downshifting multiple gears for best acceleration. Audi uses the kickdown switch and in a BMW M you have to pull both paddles simultaneously. I don't know what Ferrari, Porsche etc. use, but it's probably something similar.

S models such as the TTS are not high performance models. They are sportier versions of the mainstream models, hence their performance features are a bit watered down. The S models compete with BMW's M Sport models, which can't even be had with a dual clutch transmission and the AMG light models from Benz, which also use a regular torque converter automatic.

If you want a more kickass dual clutch you've got to step up to an RS, M, proper AMG, Porsche or similar, or get an aftermarket tune to get some of the programming that the more performance oriented models get.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-08-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Sorry, that's not correct for the current R8 and RS 3 and TT RS. They will auto upshift in manual mode at redline if the transmission is not also in sport mode. I guarantee it.

When you are in manual sport mode, you will also see the tach turn into a shift light. It does not do this if you are just in manual mode and not sport. This is so you have a visual cue as to when to shift since it will not do it for you at redline.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

That's new then. I have to take your word for it as I haven't had a chance to sample any of the current R/RS models. Looks like the watering down is spreading to the high performance models. I suppose it's most important for the transmission to stay out of the driver's hair in sport mode, but not sure how I feel about the addition of auto upshift in comfort/auto. A big reason for why I went with the RS5 vs the S5 is the transmission programming. Not just the auto upshift stuff, but also the more raw and responsive behavior vs the S models.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

So why does my 2016 TT in manual mode not upshift at redline? It will just bang against the rev limiter all day long....sounds like there is different software versions floating around out there.... My friends 2015 S3 will also not upshift but just sit at redline in manual mode as well.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
So why does my 2016 TT in manual mode not upshift at redline? It will just bang against the rev limiter all day long....sounds like there is different software versions floating around out there.... My friends 2015 S3 will also not upshift but just sit at redline in manual mode as well.
Can you provide more detail? What gear are you in? 1-2 or 2-3, etc. Is drive select in dynamic mode? TT or TTS? Have you activated manual mode via the paddles or by physically moving the shifter to manual mode?
Old 02-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MANUAL PLEASE

This is my first car with an automatic transmission. S tronic is NOT the same and does not provide the same level of control that a manual does IMO. I think having a sports car in automatic is an abomination. It's not the same, not even close.

BRING THE MANUAL TO THE USA and I'll trade in my current one for it immediately.