What is this thing that has come loose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this thing that has come loose?

Hi folks, referred to this forum a few times to answer questions about my B6 1.8T, so first thanks for that assistance in the past. But this time I've struck something i cant find an answer for and I'm a numpty when it comes to engines so hopeful someone will be able to help.

Car is running perfectly, nothing wrong at all, but the other day i heard a "tinkling" rattle coming from engine bay and upon inspection discovered there is a fairly sizeable aluminium part that appears to have come completely loose and was rattling up against the crankshaft pulley on the poly-v belt. I pushed it out of the way with a stick and its sitting there, pinned in place because it surrounds some pipe, but clearly it shouldn't be loose.

I took a photo, standing in front of the car and looking down between the engine and the radiator, and the loose part is indicated with a red arrow. If I push against it it is completely free to move.

Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks
leigh
Old 05-16-2015, 11:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oh, and forgot to mention, if I bang the plastic protector on the underside of the engine, it clearly hits this thing and it jangles around ... I guess I could pull that cover off and tale a closer look but I'm not sure I would know what I'm looking at anyway...
Old 05-17-2015, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Last thing I can offer ...

I was looking through Youtube videos of front ends being removed from Audi A4s, hoping to get some insight into what this part is. The only glimpse I got of it was this one - guy is under the raised vehicle, facing firward, working on back of radiator assembly. The silver part bolted to the assembly is what I think is loose on my car, just hanging on the pipe it surrounds. This is the best shot i could find of it. Any ideas what it is?

What is this part?
Old 08-10-2015, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I believe you're looking at the Snub Mount. It is a front motor mount. There should be a flexible thingy (about the size of a skate board wheel) that rides inside the cup of this mount that attaches to the front of the engine. It should be an easy fix if you have the correct hardware to re-secure it.