Few questions about PCV system

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions about PCV system

So i understand that the pressure builds up in crankcase and that PCV vents it. Suction pump creates a vacuum and gases escape through there. What i don't understand is, what is that piece in the picture? Is it the PCV valve and what does it do?(Lots of controversy over the internet about it). What does the pipe on the bottom do(marked as question mark on the pic). I'm about to replace valve cover gasket seals & chain tensioner seals and want to make sure my PCV is working properly.

http://www.upload.ee/image/5388464/PCV_VALVE.jpg

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So on a 2.8. The round can you pointed to in red is sort of a swirl chamber that separates the oil and vapors. The "suction jet pump" and it distributes a light vacuum onto that swirl chamber, and the vapors are pulled from the valve covers, and the oil is separated and heads down to the "valley pan" under the intake back into the oil. Vapors are pulled into the intake manifold and burned. The suction jet pump also feed to the brake booster. If any of the parts are clogged or broken, the engine will consume oil like crazy!

There is no PCV valve really, its more of an entire breather system doing the same thing as a PCV valve that your more used to seeing in other cars. Take it off, flush it with solvent. Be sure the hoses are not clogged and the one going to the valley pan is clear and not broken.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 12-15-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've done some research on the subject. Anyways i just replaced my cam gasket seals and chain tensioner seals, i cleaned the PCV system, it wasn't completely blocked. I've got the 2.4 V6 engine, which is basically the same as 2.8 V6.
So the swirl chamber does not act like a valve? I've read that the pump controls the valve via vacuum, so at open throttle the valve is completely open and all gases go to intake manifold, so it should be closed when vacuum is applied, so that theengine wouldnt get extra air at idle?
Now my understanging is that the lower port of the swirl chamber is for condensated oil, correct? I think the valve is broken and remains open, its from 1997(one of the first c5's) so it comes as no surprise. I've ordered a new set of PCV pipes, with valve attached. Suction pump makes a good vacuum, so i've got that going for me.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If this is the cause of my oil consumption, is this something that is relatively easy to get to and see if its dirty and needs cleaning/replacement? I am pretty mechanically inclined. I have a 2006 A6 3.0T and am going through a qt every 500 mi now. It started at a qt between changes 15K mi ago and is progressively getting worse. I have 111000 mi on the car.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ADT927
If this is the cause of my oil consumption, is this something that is relatively easy to get to and see if its dirty and needs cleaning/replacement? I am pretty mechanically inclined. I have a 2006 A6 3.0T and am going through a qt every 500 mi now. It started at a qt between changes 15K mi ago and is progressively getting worse. I have 111000 mi on the car.
Totally different engine and breather system. Quick Answer is yes, its possible to be the breather valve on the valve cover, but more likely failed piston rings. Look up Audi 2.0T oil consumption extended warranty.