A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Audi AllRoad 2015 buyer questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Q5 vs allRoad is a question most of us have had to answer for ourselves.
We are in the process of trading in our 2010 Avant for an allroad and of course had to test drive the Q5 AGAIN!!!!

We come away very impressed but when all things are considered the price differenc is not the issue nor is there any quantifiable utility advantage to speak of. I would even say the interior dimentions really don't matter that much. We are empty nesters with a large dog and 4 years ago came down from a mini van (kids went off to college) and we decided the Avant would work. We all "Need" a larger vehicle from time to time but its infrequent and things work themselves out. The American desire to beat mother nature and have a super large 4 wheel drive monster to run her over is based on fear.

Our Avant/All road more than handles the infrequent weather we get in northern North Carolina and our trips skiing to west virginia.

In the end, being up a few inches vs the smooth longer wheelbase of car is the real question. CUV's with 20 inch wheels and inapproriate size wheel base to incorperate it TO ME makes for a louder and less smooth ride.

The Q5 incorperates the wondrful look as does the interior. The Avant/Allroad is a rare commodity and TO ME is a bit distinct with its blinged out vertical grill and black cladding on a glacier white body. I had a burgandy 04 allroad and it turned heads. I find it funny that they now have a $1000 option to have it painted. so bascially they add the wheel flairs to enhance the look, then apologize for it by painting it!!!! The Avant would be my choice if they still made it but they don't. We love the line of a proper Audi "wagon" and think they look best. We are a distinct minority in the USA where perception is "Bigger is Better!!! The Q5 is a great alternative and would have no problem owning one. We just really like the fact Audi still provides this. Same for BMW and I hope Mercedes. The little wagon us uber logical to us!!!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Well said Nalod. Audi really couldn't win with the Allroad wheel arch cladding. Some viewed it as necessary to be more masculine and off-road in appearance. Others prefer the clean all-painted lines of the Avant. I guess Roger has the best of both worlds with a slightly higher ride and conformal look.
As a similar empty nest-er demographic these days I too harken back to say the BMW 325 "estate wagon" as the perfect size. And at close to retirement I really don't need to compete with Mother Nature. But the Allroad certainly does remove most of the NE winter anxiety. Of course lesser equipped/experienced drivers will always be the main issue, as evidenced in the multi-multi-car pileup yesterday in NH.
Every time I'm in my Allroad I appreciate how smoothly and competently it handles and performs. As well as appreciating its clean tail lines and SS skid plate when I approach to load it up. Can't ask for more than that.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by questionlp
I had a Q5 2.0T has a photographer support vehicle back in 2013 for Quattrofest and the amount of space behind the second row was a bit disappointing. I had a bit less gear to haul around for Quattrofest 2014, which made the Q3's even shallower cargo space behind the second row quite noticeable.

The only thing that I have to say that the Q5 has over the B8 Avant and allroad is overall headroom and height of the cargo area.

I really hope that Audi doesn't stop bringing over any Avants or allroads after the current allroad goes away. That said, I'm not optimistic.
While the Q5 has a higher (taller) cargo area, I think its cargo area may be shallower front to back. That's almost certainly the case given the Q5 has less cargo area (behind the rear seat) of 540 litres, versus 782 for the Allroad (and, incidentally, 473 for the Q3).

For me, a deeper (front to back) cargo area has more utility than a taller, shallower one.

Last edited by roger_1; 01-05-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

We had a few mini vans then went in 2001 to an Mercedes ML350 and realized it was too small. We always hoped Volvo, MB,BMW or Audi would step up and do a mini van. WE went to an Sienna LTD a few years later and kept it 8 years and 140k miles. When the Nest was emptied, we tried the "little wagon" and have loved it.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Concur. Reminds me of when I bought a wall locker that I thought needed assembly and discovered it was already complete. No problem given the Allroad's back seat down depth. Same for some 6 foot trim lumber another time. Rarely does one need height over depth of stowage.

Originally Posted by roger_1
While the Q5 has a higher cargo area, I think its cargo area may be shallower front to back. That's almost certainly the case given the Q5 has less cargo area (behind the rear seat) of 540 litres, versus 782 for the Allroad (and, incidentally, 473 for the Q3).

For me, a deeper (front to back) cargo area has more utility than a taller, shallower one.