A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Slight overheat after coolant flange install

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight overheat after coolant flange install

I recently replaced the coolant flange and all the o-rings on my 1.8l AWM. I filled the system and bleed the air out via the heater core hose. I then went for a drive. It started to get hotter than half way just a few blocks from the house. So I turned around and left the car running. I pulled the hose back and some air came out. I slide the hose back on and went for another drive. It seemed better. But still climbed past the half way mark. It went to the first mark past half way. I bleed the system a few more times while the car was running. It would spit and sputter and finally spray a straight stream. So I went for another drive. It now only climbs over the half way mark if you drive the car harder than normal. It will eventually come back to half way after a few minutes of idling. I am sure the air is all out.

The car never use to move over half way before the coolant flange replacement. I also installed a new water pump and thermostat less than 1k miles ago. I also did a coolant flush with chemicals and flushed the heater core the time of the timing belt and water pump. The car blows hot air and run perfect until now. My temp gun reads 205-208 after I drive it around. When it idles in the garage for 5 mins. The hose then reads 193-197. I pulled the thermostat and checked it in a pot of water. It starts opening at 87 Celsius. It closes right away as well.

I need help. Has anyone ever experienced this issue.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The B6's have am additional bleed screw on the pipe which runs across the inlet manifold. Does the B5 have this? Makes bleeding the block easier...

It's not unusual behaviour for an Audi temp gauge from my experience, so I wouldn't be too concerned. It may settle over the coming weeks if a small amount of air is still trapped, otherwise it may just be a trait of the better pressurisation of the cooling system (my S8 started reading higher on occasion once I fixed it's coolant leaks - go figure!), or of the new thermostat (flow rate through the plug may be different).
Old 12-21-2014, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I cant find any other bleed screw. I hope that it settles in. It drives me nuts. I think because the gauge is in direct line of site.