A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Airbag light - not typical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light - not typical problem

Problems:
Airbag light - codes: 01217 & 00655
intermittent "no connection" with diagnostic computer

Ok. I'll try and make this a brief as possible without losing too much detail. The 01217 code was "fixed" back in Feb 08. The dealership hardwired the connection under the seat and reset the code. It stayed off for awhile, but came back on after a few months. Next step was to replace airbag. Anyway I procrastinated until now (can't pass inspection). The funny thing is just this past Christmas 09, I came to a stop at a light and the car just cut off. Well when I turned the car back on (and it started right up) the airbag light was off. However that same day the emergency flashers would come on after letting the car sit for a few minutes after engine was off. I ended up disconnecting the battery so it wouldn't kill it. Next morning connected battery and everything seemed to work fine. However at some point (can't remember exactly when) the airbag light started coming back on, but different then usual. It was more intermittent. Sometime on sometimes off even while driving, and it would sort of flicker.

At the service center this time around they went to pull the codes and they couldn't connect. They said they looked at some possible connection issues (lose wires) behind the dash, but everything looked ok to them. After doing this they were able to connect and got the above listed codes. Said they suggest replacing airbag, tensioner, and module (connection issue although no 66335 code). BTW this car has never been in an accident. I said hold off on the module, but do the other two. They did and went to connect to the car and guess what...can't. They want to go the module route, but right now I told them to hold off. I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight into what else to look for. It just seems like the module shouldn't be bad just because they can't connect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did get a contact with a guy in my area that has VAG. Unfortunately the car is at the shop. Anyway thanks.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks for all the great advice

Anyway...I'll add a little more info to the saga. The techs went to the srs module to try and bypass it to connect to the system. They were pretty sure that the module was bad and was blocking the system. Well they got to it and took it out and could not connect to any of the other modules. The tech then said that they had to take the radio out (symphony II) and he was able to connect to some of the other modules, but not the airbag or engine modules. Weird. I've had radio issues (no am signal), but can't see how that is related. Anyway, so they are still not sure exactly what the problem is, but they are a least making some progress. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Update - to those concerned

First off...let me say that as a new user of the forum, I am overwhelmed by the advice and information I've gotten from the community. Thanks for all your help and encouragment.

Anyway...I think I left off with the tech finally being able to connect to some modules, but not the airbag or the engine module. I think at this point I need to say that this is my wife's car and she is not the most careful with beverages in the vehicle. There has been alot of coffee and soda spilled on the center console. The tech said it was a disgusting gooey mess down there. He finally cleaned off the connection to the airbag module (per my suggestion instead of replacing said module) and was able to communicate with the entire car's data bus. Awesome right? Well he is still getting the airbag mil and code for the driver's side airbag. Now this is the brand new airbag they just replaced. So it should not be faulty. He has now determined that there is a short along the wiring harness from the floorboard under the driver's seat to the airbag control module. The crappy part is finding where it is since the wiring harness run from under the seat and behind the dash, under/behind the radio to the module under the parking brake. Way to go Audi. Could they make it harder to get to. Anyway it looks like there may be a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. Well keep posting till the problem is resolved.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Interesting thread. No more lattes or sodas for the wife. She was a bad girl. I know, that wasn't very helpful...
Old 03-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Interesting thread. No more lattes or sodas for the wife. She was a bad girl. I know, that wasn't very helpful...
Thanks lyleswk. It's the thought that counts. Don't worry the wife has been thoroughly spanked.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well the tech has checked and rechecked the the wires for a short and he says that they are fine. So the problem definitely resides in the airbag module. I just bought one off of ebay for $105 that is listed as used, but not from a wrecked vehicle. The seller has a great rating with a good number of sells, so I'm fairly sure it's a good module. I guess now all that needs to be done is recode the module to my car and hopefully I won't see that damn airbag light again. Will post when I know something new.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you buy the module from LKQ? I bought one from them that they claimed was good and when it arrived the airbag control module said "crash data recorded". Not good obviously.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No. It was through a seller named rjevicky. He has a good rating and a 14day return policy plus the item was warrantied through ebay as well, so I think I'm OK money wise as far as the product. Even though it would suck if I got it and it was faulted out. We'll see. I guess that is the gamble with getting a used module, but between $105(used) and $700(new) I'll definitely take the chance.

Thanks for the heads up. BTW this guys has German Autoparts Store on ebay. Seems to have quit a bit of stuff. I'll definitely leave some feedback on the part.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

New (used) module did the trick. No more airbag MIL on the dash. Kind of doesn't look right without it there, but I'm not complaining. Except now I have a new driverside airbag that probably didn't need to be replaced. Oh well.