What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4? - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4?

Notices
A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4?

Old 01-27-2018, 07:24 PM
  #1  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: the woods of greater Waltham, MA
Posts: 150
Default What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4?

I'm cross shopping the 2018 A4 and BMW 3 series. Since I found a thread on a BMW forum discussing "what do you hate about your F30 3 series?" which was very informative, it seems reasonable to ask the same of the A4.
I've driven both cars; both are very impressive. So far Im only finding pretty minor things I don't like in the A4: I'm not crazy about the dashboard aesthetics, but I don't hate it. The interior is dark grey not black, to my eye at least. No black wood dashboard trim option. The brown wood doesn't match the not-quite-black interior, and the grey wood and aluminum ellipse are ugly, IMO. And I don't like the digital speed readout in the middle of the speedometer gauge. I can't really think of anything else. None of those things are deal-breakers. (The BMW on the other hand has run-flat tires, an intrusive rpm rev-match on down shifts (manual trans) and no ability to sync the L and R climate control sides. Those are potential dealbreakers.)

I love how the A4 drives. If I go with it, the car I'll order will be a Premium Plus, quattro + manual trans, Sport package, Matador Red and pretty much nothing else. NOT the Nav and Telematics package - I dont need Nav and I really do not like the virtual cockpit.

That all said, what, if anything, do you dislike about your B9 A4? I want to know ppl's pain points before I buy - thanks!
SkiingInABlueDream is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 07:47 PM
  #2  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: the woods of greater Waltham, MA
Posts: 150
Default

Whichever I eventually choose, this will be my first of either brand. I drove a 2004 Subaru WRX from 2004 through 2017. :-)
SkiingInABlueDream is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 08:08 PM
  #3  
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,135
Default

Things I don't like?
- turning radius. The turning radius on the B9 is only like 0.5 ft less than a GMC Yukon. The car is strangely not nimble in tight parking garages and the like...
- the wipers are not great
and I'd be inclined to be critical of the transmission. I'd be VERY curious to drive this engine paired with a torque converter auto and see how it does... (but you're looking at the manual anyways so who cares)

Digital speed readout in the middle of the speedometer? That's only on virtual cockpit-equipped cars, isn't it? (And one of the reasons I love my virtual cockpit! When I was very young, my dad had a 1987 Buick with a full digital instrument cluster and a lovely giant digital speed readout. Then the world went idiotically back to analog in the subsequent decades. It's so nice to have nice big digital numbers in the A4...)
VM is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 08:16 PM
  #4  
AudiWorld Super User
 
SYMAWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,905
Default

Originally Posted by VM View Post
Things I don't like?
- turning radius. The turning radius on the B9 is only like 0.5 ft less than a GMC Yukon. The car is strangely not nimble in tight parking garages and the like...
- the wipers are not great
and I'd be inclined to be critical of the transmission. I'd be VERY curious to drive this engine paired with a torque converter auto and see how it does... (but you're looking at the manual anyways so who cares)

Digital speed readout in the middle of the speedometer? That's only on virtual cockpit-equipped cars, isn't it? (And one of the reasons I love my virtual cockpit! When I was very young, my dad had a 1987 Buick with a full digital instrument cluster and a lovely giant digital speed readout. Then the world went idiotically back to analog in the subsequent decades. It's so nice to have nice big digital numbers in the A4...)
You can drive an A6 or Q7 with the 2.0t and the 8 speed auto.
SYMAWD is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 08:18 PM
  #5  
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,135
Default

Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
You can drive an A6 or Q7 with the 2.0t and the 8 speed auto.
Hadn't thought of the Q7, though I did know about the A6. That being said, the A6 is significantly bigger/heavier than the A4, so it's not going to be a direct comparison of the transmissions...

... but I do definitely intend to test drive a 2.0T A6 if I find myself bored at the Audi stealership one of these days.
VM is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 08:38 PM
  #6  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: the woods of greater Waltham, MA
Posts: 150
Default

Originally Posted by VM View Post
Things I don't like?
- turning radius. The turning radius on the B9 is only like 0.5 ft less than a GMC Yukon. The car is strangely not nimble in tight parking garages and the like...
- the wipers are not great
and I'd be inclined to be critical of the transmission. I'd be VERY curious to drive this engine paired with a torque converter auto and see how it does... (but you're looking at the manual anyways so who cares)

Digital speed readout in the middle of the speedometer? That's only on virtual cockpit-equipped cars, isn't it? (And one of the reasons I love my virtual cockpit! When I was very young, my dad had a 1987 Buick with a full digital instrument cluster and a lovely giant digital speed readout. Then the world went idiotically back to analog in the subsequent decades. It's so nice to have nice big digital numbers in the A4...)
Thanks for the reply! Would you mind clarifying a bit what you don't like about the wipers? (I assume you don't just mean the wiper blades the car comes with! :-)
Regarding the digital speed readout, you might be right, I need to re-check that. The car I test drove had the virtual cockpit. Now that I think about it, a mechanical needle-dial would sort of preclude a digital readout right where the needle's spindle would be. Seems we're 180 degrees opposite w.r.t. dashboard aesthetics! One thing I love about the BMW 3 series is the instrument cluster is very old school analog looking. :-)
SkiingInABlueDream is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 08:41 PM
  #7  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 117
Default

I can't comment on the BMW because I've never driven one. I've driven several VAG cars though. Along those lines, the B9 A4 is absolutely nimble and well healed on the roads of Alaska. This may be a far cry from the freeways most people know, but when the roads are ice laden with no shoulders, plenty of corners, no lighting and moose around many of the turns, I'm completely satisfied with my choice of the B9 Audi A4.

I bought this car because I play a cellphone game called ingress and it's perfect for the job. Great mpg, great handling and all weather capability.

As for dislikes, they're minor. Sometimes it shudders and shakes upon starting and MMI - Cellphone data connectivity seems arbitrarily limited solely for profit. I can't say anything bad about the A4's performance and handling.

Last edited by acruxksa; 01-27-2018 at 08:58 PM.
acruxksa is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 09:16 PM
  #8  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
CDang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 21
Default

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream View Post
Whichever I eventually choose, this will be my first of either brand. I drove a 2004 Subaru WRX from 2004 through 2017. :-)
I went from a 2005 STi to the A4. I don't have that many miles on it yet but so far Apple Carplay is losing connection when I first connect it and reverse with the Parking Assist on. Started happening after the last two IOS updates. The MPG is not close to the Audi's claim most likely due to horrendous Los Angeles traffic. Wish I could afford the Traffic Jam assist. The MMI Connect app is not that useful for me and definitely not worth the $499 for six months. Otherwise the A4 is great so far.
CDang is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 09:22 PM
  #9  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: California
Posts: 122
Default

1. I hate how many rattles there are now in the cabin. From the speaker covers, to the dash... it's getting REALLY annoying. I've had my dealer take care of a couple of the rattles, but for the speaker covers they did a half-*** job and I ended up removing them and adding felt tape myself.

2. In normal drive mode, I hate the "hesitation" when moving from stop. This isn't a problem in Sport mode, but I don't always want to have to be in Sport or continuously have to switch between the two.

3. Sometimes while listening to the radio, each time I switch to a different station the volume automatically reduces. Doesn't happen every time, but it gets annoying.
savi01 is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 09:27 PM
  #10  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 117
Default

Originally Posted by savi01 View Post
1. I hate how many rattles there are now in the cabin. From the speaker covers, to the dash... it's getting REALLY annoying. I've had my dealer take care of a couple of the rattles, but for the speaker covers they did a half-*** job and I ended up removing them and adding felt tape myself.

2. In normal drive mode, I hate the "hesitation" when moving from stop. This isn't a problem in Sport mode, but I don't always want to have to be in Sport or continuously have to switch between the two.

3. Sometimes while listening to the radio, each time I switch to a different station the volume automatically reduces. Doesn't happen every time, but it gets annoying.

I would add this to my list of dislikes, I hate normal driving mode and am almost exclusively in sport mode. This is mostly because the shifting seems to miss my choices in normal mode but somehow seems to guess better in sport mode. I'm not against having both options, but it would be nice if i could choose a default and it would stay that way through shutdowns and restarts.
acruxksa is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: