A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

My 2004 1.8T A4 CVT Flashing PRNDS (TCU/TCM) story - call it paying it forward

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2004 1.8T A4 CVT Flashing PRNDS (TCU/TCM) story - call it paying it forward

For about a year I searched everywhere on what could be going wrong with my car. PRNDS flashing, violent vibrations on the road, not shifting into reverse, low power, etc. I tried every trick I could find, and every time it seemed like I might have found the magical secret, the OP either didn't follow up, or it was the same story- get it fixed.

I'm here to tell everyone with the above mentioned problems that there is no magical secret, no ECU reset, throttle body adaptation, or quick fix. You MUST replace the TCU.

I bit the bullet last week and took it into a local shop (Mini Haus of Performance, Westbrook CT). I found a place on Ebay in Canada that you can send the TCU to after it's removed (for $500), where they will reprogram it, and send it back. Well, it worked. It's as simple as that. The whole job cost me around 1K. Granted, my mechanic is a great guy, super honest, and very good, it may end up costing you more in the long run to fix it depending on how experienced they are with Audis.

Just get it fixed. Just do it. You'll be happy, and have your car back quickly.

Good luck
Old 11-04-2015, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just a quick question as to the location of the TCM, I've read many treads and research just like you did while trying to sort out the problems of your vehicle. It's mentioned that location is either in thetrans or under the ECU on the driver side under the hood. Just trying to get a better sense on where it's at so that I can send it to be repaired. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Crashbot71
Just a quick question as to the location of the TCM, I've read many treads and research just like you did while trying to sort out the problems of your vehicle. It's mentioned that location is either in thetrans or under the ECU on the driver side under the hood. Just trying to get a better sense on where it's at so that I can send it to be repaired. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
It's bolted onto the back of the transmission.

Did you know that the CVT was officially recalled or whatever? It might be past the point of the allowed time to go get it fixed by Audi, but I ended up bringing my car to them even after it was fixed and they replaced the TCU even after the repair I mentioned in my post here.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Bit confused how many times did you get the transmission fixed?

Originally Posted by pylit
It's bolted onto the back of the transmission.

by Audi, but I ended up bringing my car to them even after it was fixed and they replaced the TCU even after the repair I mentioned in my post here.

I am bit confused about your post. First you said you send the TCM (i.e. the control module) to Canada. Then you say you took it to "them" meaning an Audi dealer. So did you get it replaced / fixed twice?

By the way, I am having the same issue and appreciate if you could let me know the name of the place in Canada?
Thanks