Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5-present

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 288463

Default A4 2.0T Quattro-Check engine light on..again!

I bought a used 2009 A4 Quattro 4 months back and and this is the fourth time my check engine light has come on. First it was carbon buildup in the engine which was cleaned up. Then it was cylinder 3 misfiring due to a gasket. The gaskets were then changed. Third it was wear on camshaft which was changed too. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I just moved to Cleveland and work in Mentor, Ohio. Any suggestions on good Audi dealers in the area i could take this to?
admittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 257626

Same here....My is a 2010 A4 quattro. Bought it used in 2013, 65K miles. Check engine been on 2 times.

First was the catalytic convertor at 70K. Luckily that is covered under some kind of federal warranty program. Second is for turbo replacement (waste gate won't close/open, common problem) at 75K. Audi offered to cover 50% for this. I have never seen a cat that goes under 100K. Turbo failure at 75K? This is my first Audi and I expect higher maintenance/repair cost but not like that.
fittan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 166422

I can't advise you on how to fix your car.

But. I have an ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 reader from ebay for $13, and I got the Torque app for my android phone for $7. It's been really freaking handy for reading codes on my A4 when the engine misfired, and has helped with my friend's cars too.

You can reset the CEL/codes and see if they return, and log the issues too. That should help you analyze the problems yourself, and through the forums.
ports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #4
dk1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 155008

Quote:
Originally Posted by fittan View Post
Same here....My is a 2010 A4 quattro. Bought it used in 2013, 65K miles. Check engine been on 2 times.

First was the catalytic convertor at 70K. Luckily that is covered under some kind of federal warranty program. Second is for turbo replacement (waste gate won't close/open, common problem) at 75K. Audi offered to cover 50% for this. I have never seen a cat that goes under 100K. Turbo failure at 75K? This is my first Audi and I expect higher maintenance/repair cost but not like that.
I had my catalytic converter fail at 78K. It is covered until 80K so I was lucky. Otherwise the replacement cost is about $2000, according to my dealer. Otherwise the dealer said that they do see them fail and sometimes much earlier than 80K miles.

What was the cost of turbo replacement?

This is the first and last Audi I own without purchasing an extended warranty. I am already up to $3500 in repairs after warranty expired. The car still drives great but because of potential repair costs I will probably trade it in when B9 becomes available.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 257626

It is $3000 but they gave a 50% goodwill discount. End up paying $1500...ouch.
fittan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement