A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Horrible creaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible creaking noise

Hello...
I have a 2014 A4 with about 8,000 miles. Recently, I have heard a loud creaking noise coming from the passenger side when I drive over any road surface that is not in mint condition. It sounds like I'm driving an old truck. I can't pinpoint the exact spot.. It is more in the center of the frame below and between the doors.. It is not coming from the front tire area nor from the back. The trunk is empty so there's nothing in there causing problems.
It is absolutely horrible to deal with and really unacceptable for the cars age and miles. I thought maybe it was the cold weather but it has warmed up and is still bad at 50F.
The roads I drive on in the city are terrible and I do drive on a stretch of cobblestone a couple times a day.. I don't know if that has thrown something off, but I just got my state inspection done and if anything was worn down, I would know about it. And there's only 8k on it.. Why would anything be worn down? I had recently taken it to the dealer to fix the airbag recall, have them take a look at the brakes due to the cold causing incessant squeaking & my wipers were going off at random.. they said everything looked fine.
Does anyone have any ideas? Between the creaking, the brakes and the wipers, I'm about to let someone steal the thing. I absolutely hate this car. The 2011 one had no issues.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But I bet your 2011 guzzled oil.

Have you tried walking over to the passenger side and pushing down on the car? Open a door, get on the sill, and rock it? Does the sound go away with a door open? Maybe there's a rubber bumper that's rubbing against metal or something.

Auto wipers are still junk. Leave them off unless it's raining. At least Audi is better than my wife's Mercedes - a tiny sprinkle convinces the auto wipers to go full blast. It's embarrassing.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to guess the rubber seals around the door are "sticking" or creaking (8k miles is premature to be dried out, but that is local climate dependent and some car detailer might have accidentally sprayed something on the rubber that changed the surface). Some gummifluge or similar product (silicone?) will moisten the weather stripping and moldings around the doors (I would recommend doing all of them), and I bet the noises will go away. Should be a $10 fix, and take 10 minutes of your time, and even if it doesn't completely eliminate the noise, it's recommended preventive maintenance on the seals anyway.

Also, if your 2014 is an Allroad (wagon) there was a TSB on the panoramic sunroof creaking on earlier Avant models that maybe wasn't corrected by 2014.

Last edited by BMWBig6; 03-16-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it back to the dealer. Make them deal with it. The car is under warranty.