A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Radio Auto-on

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Roger, I'm not sure if Carista has the sophistication to make that change.

Ross-Tech: Home

Ross-Tech sells a cable and you download the software to your laptop computer. The cable is around $350 now. It's one of those devices that would fall into the "priceless" category.

Ross-Tech is the sponsor of the Electronics forum here at AW.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Roger, I'm not sure if Carista has the sophistication to make that change.

Ross-Tech: Home

Ross-Tech sells a cable and you download the software to your laptop computer. The cable is around $350 now. It's one of those devices that would fall into the "priceless" category.

Ross-Tech is the sponsor of the Electronics forum here at AW.
Thank you. Again, I hope you'll excuse my 'newbie-ness' - I took a quick look at the Ross-Tech site just now. It appears that I can download their software, and that, to use it, I'd buy their cable. Is that the case?

You mentioned it's invaluable. In addition to my Allroad, I also own a Porsche and, for that, use the Durametric software (which I find very useful). Amongst other things, it allows me to reset warning/service lights (SRS etc) and perform diagnostics. My Porsche is out of warranty.

I'm guessing the Ross-Tech software would allow an interface with my Audi very similar to the Porsche/Durametric scenario. Would the Ross-Tech software have practical utility to the car owner even while the car is under warranty?

I'm not terribly familiar with Carista. In broad terms, what sorts of thing does the Ross-Tech interface do, that Carista doesn't? (For one, I gather I could tell the MMI to remember the previous volume setting.)

Roger
Old 12-22-2014, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Roger, I'll do my best. I believe the Durametric system is still considered the best for Porsche. Porsche uses a different diagnostic system. I'm sure you'd be able to read basic OBD II codes, but you'd have limited functionality beyond that with the VCDS tool. The VCDS tool targets Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda family of cars.

Yes, you download the program and purchase the cable from them or a distributor. After that, you're up and running!

Sure, the VCDS tool is used to implement hundreds of tweaks you'll find detailed here. You also get much more specific info on DTCs compared to the generic OBD II stuff.

Ross-Tech has a brochure you can (and should) review prior to purchase. I've owned this tool for years. Frankly, I can't imagine owning a VW/Audi without it. It's paid for itself many times over.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Roger, I'll do my best. I believe the Durametric system is still considered the best for Porsche. Porsche uses a different diagnostic system. I'm sure you'd be able to read basic OBD II codes, but you'd have limited functionality beyond that with the VCDS tool. The VCDS tool targets Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda family of cars.

Yes, you download the program and purchase the cable from them or a distributor. After that, you're up and running!

Sure, the VCDS tool is used to implement hundreds of tweaks you'll find detailed here. You also get much more specific info on DTCs compared to the generic OBD II stuff.

Ross-Tech has a brochure you can (and should) review prior to purchase. I've owned this tool for years. Frankly, I can't imagine owning a VW/Audi without it. It's paid for itself many times over.
Thank you. That's very useful info.

Roger
Old 12-22-2014, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in as one of those whose radio also doesn't stay muted. As far as I can tell, it operates the same as the media input (this is on an '11 with 3G).

FWIW, my recollection is that through VCDS you can set "min" and "max" volume limits for when the car starts. I haven't tried playing with these, but my assumption is that if you turned the car off within the range, it will come back on at the same level, but if you turn it off with the volume outside of the set range, it will adjust up (or down) to the min or max. Also, it seems to me that if I mute then return back to the car within a short period, it will still be muted when I return. But if it's turned off for a while, it will be un-muted.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes! I have now a workable solution. I used the hidden menu to change the minimum start up level to zero.
Hidden menu is possible to activate with VCDS on cars with Navigation, see below.
(From what I have read, also Carista can enable the hidden menu.)

The resulting behaviour is a bit differently depending on if the audio source is radio or SD card:

a) On SD-card, it still "unmutes" but remembers the volume setting when turned down to level 0 (OFF).
When turned down, it also pause the player.
When turning the car ON again, the volume is still 0 (audio OFF) but the player resumes playing, but the sound is off so that is good enough form me.

b) On radio, I can use the same method (turning the volume **** to zero, but it also remembers mute. However, also the volume level has been set to zero so to activate the sound again the volume has to be turned up.

It still remembers the volume setting when the last level is below the Max setting. I haven't tried exactly every combination of the order volume/mute/ignition off/key out but all I have tested, so far, works.

Modification info:
Use VCDS (VAG-com) to Enable the Green Hidden Engineering Menu in MMI 3G+:
[5F - Information Electr.]
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 6
change 0 to 1

To access the hidden menu:
Press first CAR then directly also MENU and Hold both pressed a few seconds.

Volumerangers in hidden menu:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...uting-2869912/

Last edited by audi8k; 12-24-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi8k
Yes! I have now a workable solution. I used the hidden menu to change the minimum start up level to zero.
Hidden menu is possible to activate with VCDS on cars with Navigation, see below.
(From what I have read, also Carista can enable the hidden menu.)

[deleted part of post]

Modification info:
Use VCDS (VAG-com) to Enable the Green Hidden Engineering Menu in MMI 3G+:
[5F - Information Electr.]
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 6
change 0 to 1

To access the hidden menu:
Press first CAR then directly also MENU and Hold both pressed a few seconds.

Volumerangers in hidden menu:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...uting-2869912/
Thanks for posting. Am I correct in understanding that my 2014 P+ with Nav won't allow me to access the hidden menu by pressing the CAR and Menu buttons UNLESS I'm using VCDS? (I don't yet have VCDS, but will soon).
Old 12-29-2014, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by roger_1
.. Am I correct in understanding that my 2014 P+ with Nav won't allow me to access the hidden menu by pressing the CAR and Menu buttons UNLESS I'm using VCDS?
Unfortunately, it seems that the Hidden menu is only available in cars with navigation. I don't know if the minimum volume setting is possible to access with VCDS (with or without navigation). It seems reasonable that is is, but I haven't found any information on that.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi8k
Unfortunately, it seems that the Hidden menu is only available in cars with navigation. I don't know if the minimum volume setting is possible to access with VCDS (with or without navigation). It seems reasonable that is is, but I haven't found any information on that.
My 2014 A4 has navigation. Should I be able to access the hidden menu WITHOUT using VCDS?
Old 12-29-2014, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry, I didn't read properly. You will need VCDS (or perhaps Carista+I/F) to enable the Hidden men. A one time activation. Then you use the MMI-controls to bring up the menu and adjust.

Quick Reply: Radio Auto-on