Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Fixed: Annoying audio "unmuting"

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed: Annoying audio "unmuting"

One thing that's bugged me since day one is the audio "unmuting" where the car decides to turn the stereo back UP when you get in and restart it.

The MMI Hidden Menu provides a fix luckily - change the "Entertainment min" value in /audiomanagement/volumerangers to 0.

Before:

After:
Old 08-05-2014, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Very cool.

Could the volume level be set to always return to a desired number?

For example, could I set my car to always set the volume at 29?

Since I am using an aftermarket stereo, I don't use the MMI volume ****. The volume must always be kept at 29/34 because that is the maximum undistorted level. I then use the controller for my DSP as a master volume.

It's a constant annoyance that the car always resets the MMI volume and then I have to raise it back to 29.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

This might be a dumb question but what is SDS?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Could the volume level be set to always return to a desired number?
Probably setting the min and max the same would do that, BUT it seems like if you never touch the volume ****, you're only being affected by the reduction side.

When you start up, is your volume always at 12? If so, just bump that to 29 and you should be good. As I understand it, any volume setting BETWEEN min and max is untouched and any outside it is raised/lowered to meet the limit. So in my case, 0 kept getting bumped up to 2, and presumably your 29 kept getting bumped down to 12.

If you sometimes vary between 29 and 34, then min of 29 and max of 34 seems like it would do what you want - or just set max to 34 and your usage protocol means you'd not go below 29 anyway. Note these don't appear to be dynamic limits, just the power-on limiting.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DB22
This might be a dumb question but what is SDS?
Speech Dialog System - the voice control "stuff". I think this is her max and min volume. (ETA: at POWERUP - just like the others)

I had a similar gripe with the Navi lady not staying shut up, but I switched to disabling her via the menu. I think a change here to a 0 min would also fix that quirk, but I've not tried.

(IMO, the menu option is ok since I have Navi muted for 99% of my trips and only want voice prompts when I really don't know where I'm going. Restoring a muted Navi volume via the **** is tough because it only changes Navi volume when she's talking - which is hard to determine while she's muted )
Old 08-05-2014, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Speech Dialog System - the voice control "stuff". I think this is her max and min volume. (ETA: at POWERUP - just like the others)

I had a similar gripe with the Navi lady not staying shut up, but I switched to disabling her via the menu. I think a change here to a 0 min would also fix that quirk, but I've not tried.

(IMO, the menu option is ok since I have Navi muted for 99% of my trips and only want voice prompts when I really don't know where I'm going. Restoring a muted Navi volume via the **** is tough because it only changes Navi volume when she's talking - which is hard to determine while she's muted )
Thank you. BTW - I programmed my * button on the steering wheel to be mute of Nav lady so I have a quick enable and disable because, like you, I only want her voice when I really need the help.
(I think that this programmable button is the Steering Wheel Heater if optioned).
Old 08-05-2014, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DB22
I programmed my * button on the steering wheel to be mute of Nav lady so I have a quick enable and disable because, like you, I only want her voice when I really need the help.
(I think that this programmable button is the Steering Wheel Heater if optioned).
Yeah, that would be a good use of the button - but I got the heated steering wheel so I had to sacrifice it
Old 08-06-2014, 02:32 AM
LIY
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slighly off topic!

How does one access this hidden MMI Menu?
Old 08-06-2014, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LIY
How does one access this hidden MMI Menu?
Needs to be enabled through VCDS first. Info is all over, here's what I have recorded:

Enable Hidden menu in MMI
[5F - Information Electr.]
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 6 "Development Test Mode (Service Menu)"
change 0 to 1
Reset MMI (MENU + Press **** + Top Right Soft button)
Enter hidden menu (CAR + MENU for several seconds)

Actual entry can be tricky as MMI seems to want to see the two buttons simultaneously and within a fairly narrow tolerance for "simultaneous".
Old 08-06-2014, 06:25 AM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
One thing that's bugged me since day one is the audio "unmuting" where the car decides to turn the stereo back UP when you get in and restart it.
You should ask earlier for such "features". Since the C6 (Facelift) you can do so.

Quick Reply: Fixed: Annoying audio "unmuting"