A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Stiff Steering. I have searched the forums!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff Steering. I have searched the forums!

Hello all, if you aren't annoyed enough at the title and came in here, thanks.. I KNOW, lots of steering issues and threads across a lot of forums. My eyes are bleeding from reading them all. BUT, my issue is different than all!

I have the 2010 A4 with the sport package and servotronic steering crap.

I don't think my steering issues are the same as most of the others. After a fun filled donut in the dirt, I noticed that after some driving my steering would get stiff. and all but useless in idle when parking. But, when I give it a little throttle it gets better.. as I assume the hydraulic pump provides more pressure.

SO, what is my problem? I can't figure it out. I read somewhere that there is some valve in the hydraulic steering system, which I believe is most likely my problem. I don't think it's an electrical problem because it is not intermittent, and it only appears when I have driven it a bit and it seems that it's a temperature related issue.

ANY IDEAS!? If not, does anyone have access to the factory service manual? I would really like to see the fsm pages for the steering and see what are the components involved and what 'valve' there is in the system to cause this issue. I appreciate your time.

I have asked this question on other forums and have been continuously saddened by not a single response. Hope here is better.

I am an avid forumer on other websites, such as yotatech.com, for my 1991 4Runner project. I know forum etiquette, I wouldn't ask a question until i search!

THANKS!
Old 08-26-2014, 03:46 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Just a guess, but is it possible that just like transmission, steering is adaptive and can be reset using VAG COM? It is possible that after your fun driving stint it got into some weird mode.

This thread discusses something similar
2013 Steering Issues VAG COM Fix?
Old 08-26-2014, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gevo27
Hello all, if you aren't annoyed enough at the title and came in here, thanks.. I KNOW, lots of steering issues and threads across a lot of forums. My eyes are bleeding from reading them all. BUT, my issue is different than all!

I have the 2010 A4 with the sport package and servotronic steering crap.

I don't think my steering issues are the same as most of the others. After a fun filled donut in the dirt, I noticed that after some driving my steering would get stiff. and all but useless in idle when parking. But, when I give it a little throttle it gets better.. as I assume the hydraulic pump provides more pressure.

SO, what is my problem? I can't figure it out. I read somewhere that there is some valve in the hydraulic steering system, which I believe is most likely my problem. I don't think it's an electrical problem because it is not intermittent, and it only appears when I have driven it a bit and it seems that it's a temperature related issue.

ANY IDEAS!? If not, does anyone have access to the factory service manual? I would really like to see the fsm pages for the steering and see what are the components involved and what 'valve' there is in the system to cause this issue. I appreciate your time.

I have asked this question on other forums and have been continuously saddened by not a single response. Hope here is better.

I am an avid forumer on other websites, such as yotatech.com, for my 1991 4Runner project. I know forum etiquette, I wouldn't ask a question until i search!

THANKS!
If you have bought the car used, the previous owner might have enabled the dynamic mode for the steering using the VAGCOM software and cable.
Get somebody with a cable in your area to check it out. Look online for enabling ADS on B8 with VAGCOM.

I tried that mode and found it to be too stiff at low speeds for my liking. I love the throttle response in dynamic mode though. These can be selected individually.

Last edited by gunsmoker; 08-26-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the replies guys!!

dk1: I have a manual transmission, so I don't have any experience with adaptive systems. I will read more about the adaptive steering, but I am sure I have the servotronic which is apparently NOT the same as the adaptive. Regardless, I will double check. But, still, if it was an adaptive COM reset issue, the stiff wheel would present itself throughout the whole trip. However, if I start it in the morning, the steering is fine. At the end of a 30 mile trip, it is stiff. After a 2 hour drive in traffic, it is VERY stiff. If it was adaptive and learned driving characteristics as related to speed, it would be consistently stiff.

gunsmoker: I purchased the car brand new in 2010. No computer modifications, or any other modifications of any kind have been performed on it. People try to tell me I need a new rack, but, I am not convinced that it's that big. Sure, changing the WHOLE thing most likely will fix my problem, but smashing a fly with a golden sledghammer will also do the job.. poor analogy, I know..
Old 08-28-2014, 04:28 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the most basic thing to do would be to run some electronic diagnostics and see if there are any fault codes.

We've created an Android app just for that (and also, for coding). Check out Carista - all you need to buy is a $10 Bluetooth adapter and then if you do have some fault codes in the power steering system, you'll need to buy the Pro Package in Carista (which is $19.99) in order to see the specific codes or reset them. Purchasing this package once also allows you to do an unlimited number of coding changes. Note that Carista does VAG-specific diagnostics, not just OBD2 diagnostics like the other apps out there.

We're in the process of developing a new version now (see our beta) and we're adding the "adaptive power steering" option. Once we add it (in the next beta, i.e. within a couple of days), you can check whether it's currently enabled on your car and you can play with disabling it to see if it makes a difference. BUT that's only if you have dynamic power steering hardware.

Also, have you checked your power steering fluid level? I once did a drift in my M3 and tore up the power steering hose... and all the fluid came out.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Carista
Well, the most basic thing to do would be to run some electronic diagnostics and see if there are any fault codes.

We've created an Android app just for that (and also, for coding). Check out Carista - all you need to buy is a $10 Bluetooth adapter and then if you do have some fault codes in the power steering system, you'll need to buy the Pro Package in Carista (which is $19.99) in order to see the specific codes or reset them. Purchasing this package once also allows you to do an unlimited number of coding changes. Note that Carista does VAG-specific diagnostics, not just OBD2 diagnostics like the other apps out there.

We're in the process of developing a new version now (see our beta) and we're adding the "adaptive power steering" option. Once we add it (in the next beta, i.e. within a couple of days), you can check whether it's currently enabled on your car and you can play with disabling it to see if it makes a difference. BUT that's only if you have dynamic power steering hardware.

Also, have you checked your power steering fluid level? I once did a drift in my M3 and tore up the power steering hose... and all the fluid came out.
Carista,
very interesting. Thanks! a friend of mine has a obd code reader, I asked him to drop it off and soon will get to check the codes. Of course, I have no error indicating lights on the dash. I will look into your android app,

And, finally, yes, I have NO power steering pump noises, leaks, fluid issues, air in the hose.. etc.. Although, the air in the hose idea was 'ruled out' by a lock to lock with the cap open method... If there are no codes, I plan to dump and put new fluid in and burp the system to see if there is any difference.

Thanks for your response!
Old 08-29-2014, 02:17 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gevo27
Carista,
very interesting. Thanks! a friend of mine has a obd code reader, I asked him to drop it off and soon will get to check the codes. Of course, I have no error indicating lights on the dash. I will look into your android app,

And, finally, yes, I have NO power steering pump noises, leaks, fluid issues, air in the hose.. etc.. Although, the air in the hose idea was 'ruled out' by a lock to lock with the cap open method... If there are no codes, I plan to dump and put new fluid in and burp the system to see if there is any difference.

Thanks for your response!
Sounds good. Just FYI, though, a generic OBD code reader will not be able to read codes in anything other than the engine and transmission. If your friend has an ELM327 bluetooth device, then yes, coupled with Carista, that can read all codes from all ECUs. Do you have an Android phone or tablet?

P.S. I think we'll have a new version out later today that will include the DSR (driver steering recommendation) setting. It doesn't sound like that's the issue in your case though.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
... Purchasing this package once also allows you to do an unlimited number of coding changes.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I purchased your Pro package and it shows me a limited number of "customizations," but does not allow me to make any coding changes. I understand that your update, now in beta, will allow coding changes to be made. But they can't be made yet.

I think your app is great, and I eagerly await your new version, but I spent $19.99 thinking I could make coding changes now.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:09 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by A4Driver
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I purchased your Pro package and it shows me a limited number of "customizations," but does not allow me to make any coding changes. I understand that your update, now in beta, will allow coding changes to be made. But they can't be made yet.

I think your app is great, and I eagerly await your new version, but I spent $19.99 thinking I could make coding changes now.
Hi, yes, the current version only allows adaptations, no coding. BUT you can already get the beta and use it, it works fine: see Beta-Testing | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization . Lots of new (coding) settings added, no additional payment required. It will be released as an official version soon too - my estimate is within a few weeks (but no promises).