A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Cooling Seats Barely Noticeable At All

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cooling Seats Barely Noticeable At All

I have the new 2017 Audi A4 S-Line with comfort seating which includes vented seats. I can honestly say I don't even feel it even it on the maximum setting. It seems I can only notice a little bit of it in the top half of my back but absolutely nothing on the lower back or seat itself.

Anyone else get the sports seats with ventilated seats? My lexus vented seats were amazing... I feel ripped off.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

The cooling seats are a vacuum. They are definitely working, but you won't feel it like on your Lexus which was blowing air.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

They are ventilated, not cooling. There is no actual cold air going through them, just fans.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try cycling them on and off. While I admit the effect is not as dramatic as the ones in a Ford F150, there is a cooling effect. At least when I tried them.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm going from nothing (B8.5 A4) to these ventilated seats, so I'm impressed with mine.

I agree that the most noticeable effect is at the top of my back though.

Also I have similar "ripped off" feelings about two or three items on the A4, but I'm thrilled with the overall experience. I think I'd be more irritated if I'd come out of a higher trim line or more expensive Audi though.

Dr. B
Old 05-30-2016, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I wonder why Audi chose to PULL air through the seats rather than reverse the fans and BLOW the air?

I don't think any mfrs actually cool the air in their ventilated seats ... they simply blow the air that's cooled by the A/C through the seats. Some are more effective than others.

The first time I encountered cooled seats was a shock ... it was a hot day, and it felt like I'd spilled a glass of iced tea in my lap. That was in my Lexus LS460, and it felt the same in my Acura RLX and Infiniti M56. And I loved it.

Too bad the A4 has such an anemic implementation of it.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
They are ventilated, not cooling. There is no actual cold air going through them, just fans.
Adding to this, the ventilation system is using the car's interior air temp. As the A/C cools the interior, the air through the seats will feel cooler. Audi's design is to help evaporate moisture from the body for comfort, not generate cold air like an air conditionart.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by drbooya
I'm going from nothing (B8.5 A4) to these ventilated seats, so I'm impressed with mine.

I agree that the most noticeable effect is at the top of my back though.

Also I have similar "ripped off" feelings about two or three items on the A4, but I'm thrilled with the overall experience. I think I'd be more irritated if I'd come out of a higher trim line or more expensive Audi though.

Dr. B
Curious, What items do you feel ripped off about?
Old 05-31-2016, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Curious, What items do you feel ripped off about?
Paying double or tripple for sport seats when getting all option packages would be at the top of my list. In the past the black headliner was a no cost option in some models and the rear side window shades were a $500 max option. Now both require packages.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Paying double or tripple for sport seats when getting all option packages would be at the top of my list. In the past the black headliner was a no cost option in some models and the rear side window shades were a $500 max option. Now both require packages.

Ouch. Gotcha.

Quick Reply: Cooling Seats Barely Noticeable At All