A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Cooling Seats Barely Noticeable At All

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Curious, What items do you feel ripped off about?
Warning: First World Problems dead ahead! Avert your eyes if that makes you queasy!
  • #1 gripe is CarPlay's unpredictability, dysfunction, and poor integration
  • Doors have two opening positions instead of 3-4, like my 2013 A4, and they don't close nearly as easily - possibly because they're lighter
  • Seat extensions on the sport seats aren't as helpful as I imagined they would be; but my thighs may not be fat enough to take advantage!
  • Interior door handles are placed forward of the old design - the mechanical disadvantage is noticeable when closing the door from the inside - very hard for kids.
  • Glove box is too small
  • Key fob is lighter, feels cheaper (but I'm sure there were gripes about it being to heavy before)

Bear in mind that I love the car - these are just some of the little things that make me say, "Really?" a few times a week.

The CarPlay thing is profoundly annoying though - I'm still experiencing new error screens and CarPlay fails each week. I'm hoping that can be solved with firmware updates. I'm curious if other brands have the same problems (Honda).

Dr. B
Old 06-12-2016, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I have read some complaints regarding CarPlay in the new Civic. Generally, it seems that CarPlay is half-baked at this point compared to Android Auto.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I have read some complaints regarding CarPlay in the new Civic. Generally, it seems that CarPlay is half-baked at this point compared to Android Auto.
Android Auto is not without it's own issues. Google "Problems with Android Auto".
Old 06-12-2016, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, CarPlay has been a complete disappointment for me. Apps are slow to load and crash frequently, and many times Spotify won't load the track I've selected to play. I'd much rather use the native MMI interface at this point, and I'd like for Audi to do something similar to BMW with hooks into the apps so they can be controlled directly through the MMI. I also wish that Audi could get some of the CarPlay elements onto the virtual cockpit, especially once my Audi Connect trial expires.

If there's a silver lining, it's that Apple can update it since it all lives on the phone. Here's to hoping we hear about CarPlay improvements during WWDC.

To keep this on topic, I used the ventilated seats this weekend and thought they were fine. Kept my back cool in 90 degree weather.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drbooya
Warning: First World Problems dead ahead! Avert your eyes if that makes you queasy!
  • #1 gripe is CarPlay's unpredictability, dysfunction, and poor integration
  • Doors have two opening positions instead of 3-4, like my 2013 A4, and they don't close nearly as easily - possibly because they're lighter
  • Seat extensions on the sport seats aren't as helpful as I imagined they would be; but my thighs may not be fat enough to take advantage!
  • Interior door handles are placed forward of the old design - the mechanical disadvantage is noticeable when closing the door from the inside - very hard for kids.
  • Glove box is too small
  • Key fob is lighter, feels cheaper (but I'm sure there were gripes about it being to heavy before)

Bear in mind that I love the car - these are just some of the little things that make me say, "Really?" a few times a week.

The CarPlay thing is profoundly annoying though - I'm still experiencing new error screens and CarPlay fails each week. I'm hoping that can be solved with firmware updates. I'm curious if other brands have the same problems (Honda).

Dr. B
I had the same gripes about CarPlay and I installed the iOS 10 Beta 1 today and it has come with some seriously needed stabilization and functionality. I would say its 70% better. Now if they will just add album artwork metadata functionality by the public release.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drbooya
  • Seat extensions on the sport seats aren't as helpful as I imagined they would be; but my thighs may not be fat enough to take advantage

Dr. B

Interesting comment. I'm suddenly in the market after my 2014 PP with Sports Package A4 got totalled.

In 2014 year, you needed Sports package to get drive select mode, and the Sports seats were a big improvement over stock. And I *really* love the seat thigh extensions. Overall though, I did find Sports suspension a bit harsh at times and would have liked to tune out a bit of the harshest bumps.

I don't have luxury of ordering, so will have to live with Dealer stock. So I am trying to decide if Sports Package is a deal breaker or not on the new model. The stock suspension feels soo much better in my limited test drives. The stock seats are seem much improved from my memory. But you never get enough long term feel from test drives.

I also drove a sport package. Does seem like some harshness was tuned out. But difference between standard suspension and sport seemed a lot closer to me than the 'night and day comparison ' in 2014.

In my area, Sport package is hard to find without being bundled with First Edition Package. I am sorry, but those FE wheels are hideous. They look like a first edition (unfinished). I don't think I can see an extra grand for the ugliest wheels in 2017; IMHO.

Summer package (to get sports seats) is rare and highly correlates to Prestige in dealer stock. I am still looking PP, so that is probably not an option either.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetail
Yeah, CarPlay has been a complete disappointment for me. Apps are slow to load and crash frequently, and many times Spotify won't load the track I've selected to play. I'd much rather use the native MMI interface at this point, and I'd like for Audi to do something similar to BMW with hooks into the apps so they can be controlled directly through the MMI. I also wish that Audi could get some of the CarPlay elements onto the virtual cockpit, especially once my Audi Connect trial expires.

If there's a silver lining, it's that Apple can update it since it all lives on the phone. Here's to hoping we hear about CarPlay improvements during WWDC.
At WWDC, Apple just announced the upcoming iOS 10 which apparently, according to some developer beta testers, has vastly improved Car Play.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
At WWDC, Apple just announced the upcoming iOS 10 which apparently, according to some developer beta testers, has vastly improved Car Play.
Yeah, I have the beta and it is much better and will get even better as the beta seeds get released. Check out my CarPlay thread I just posted some screenshots from CarPlay.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Android Auto is not without it's own issues. Google "Problems with Android Auto".
I've had really good luck with Android Auto in my 2017 A4 and a Nexus 6P.

I did have some problems when I used the USB cable that came with the phone rather than the USB cable that came with the car. With the phone cable, sometimes the connection between the phone and car would drop. But it's been great using the Audi-supplied cable (with a USB-C adapter to work with the 6P).