A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Did anyone consider the A3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Did anyone consider the A3?

Did anyone here consider the A3 vs getting the A4. The A3 will be updated for the next year. Does it seem that a similarly equipped A3 will be $4-5k less or am I off with those numbers?

I want a fairly compact car for ease of commuting - I travel 70 miles a day (mostly highway). Although, one could argue why I'm buying a German car if I travel 70 miles a day since I will pay a lot for maintenance. I buy cars new and keep them until 10 years or more.

How did the current A3 owners compare between their cars and the A4? The reason to go up on the A4 would be if it's a better value, and of course people can always use a little more space with cargo, kids, etc.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:46 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I didn't really consider the A3, no. Why not?
1) The A3 is smaller; the A4 isn't already that huge a car.
2) The A4 is a real Audi with a longitudinal engine, Torsen quattro, etc. The A3 is a dressed up VW.
3) The price difference is quite small once you equip the A3 nicely, especially if you get the fake 'quattro'

In your case, I think you should test drive the A3 extensively on the highway - a smaller, shorter wheelbase car may not have as good highway manners...
Old 10-23-2016, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't consider the A3 at all. One of my favorite things about the A4 is the look and layout of the interior. I'm not a big fan of the A3 interior, especially the circular vents.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How about S3 vs A4?
Here in Canada the prices are quite at same level.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at it but decided against it for the additional room, quieter cabin, and as the a4 was the newest and best tech/design Audi had to offer. Even though the A3 has been nicely updated it's still towards the end of it's current generation. I also wanted home link which the A3 doesn't offer. And this is personal preference I'm sure but I didn't like the indented design of the sheet metal over each wheel which looks like it's missing a flange or piece of trim.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Once I saw the A4 interior it was over. The A4 interior is the best I've seen in a long time. The design amd materials are leading edge.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Having bought a '15 A3 cab for my wife is why I ordered an A4 for myself, but an A3 wasn't considered. I liked the added size, power, technology, luxury, and safety features.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope too small. I've driven an A3 before and there just isn't enough room. I have a baby seat in my car and in the A3 there was literally no room for my wife (she's 5'2) on the passenger side. And I was so smashed when I sat in the passenger side (I'm 5'8) She felt even cramped in the B8.

She was in my car for the first time last night with the car seat in the car and she felt that she had enough room that extra inch compared to the B8 is huge with a rear facing car seat. Also I don't like the look of the A3 all those rounds vents looks like bug eyes too me.

I love everything about the A4, so again, nope it didn't even cross my mind. Having a family I need space in my car to haul things around and maintain comfort. Even if I was single I'd still pick the A4. But that's just me.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I test drove the A3. Too small, and I didn't like the dash layout.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VM
I didn't really consider the A3, no. Why not?
1) The A3 is smaller; the A4 isn't already that huge a car.
2) The A4 is a real Audi with a longitudinal engine, Torsen quattro, etc. The A3 is a dressed up VW.
3) The price difference is quite small once you equip the A3 nicely, especially if you get the fake 'quattro'

In your case, I think you should test drive the A3 extensively on the highway - a smaller, shorter wheelbase car may not have as good highway manners...
This was exactly my take! I was ready to dive into an A3 but the numbers for an A4 were not much higher and being 6'2" the A3 seemed absolutely tiny going from a Passat. The Haldex AWD is good in my wife's XC90 but it's no comparison to a real torsen differential.

Also now that I'm in my late 30s the A3 with its jet styled air vents just didn't do it for me in the looks department.

Also it may or may not be true but I think that its possible to get a better deal on an A4 than an A3 since its the volume leader and end of the month time is a great time to haggle amongst dealerships for the best price.

I'm doing it right now with mine - fingers crossed!

Quick Reply: Did anyone consider the A3?