A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Did anyone consider the A3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

I considered the S3 because I think it looks sharp and is supposedly a blast to drive, but the interior would have been a step down from my 15' S5 and is an even bigger step down from my 17' A4.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I did consider the S3 and it was a hoot to drive. In fact, once the lease on my A4 is up, I might get an S3. The A3 is also a very peppy car. In fact, performance of the A3 is equal to or slightly better than the A4 I believe. But I wouldn't get an A3 only because it's a small car and itmdosnt have a proper Quattro system.
The A4 is a better car overall compared to the S3 but man. The S3 is fun to drive and that engine is very peppy.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a Mercedes CLA that I traded for my Audi. The A3 directly competes with the CLA and I think it may be better than the CLA in many ways. But I was ready to move up a little larger car with a few more features.

Truth be told, I did actually consider the A6. But the 3.0 Supercharged version I really wanted was a little out of my price range.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dave W
I had a Mercedes CLA that I traded for my Audi. The A3 directly competes with the CLA and I think it may be better than the CLA in many ways. But I was ready to move up a little larger car with a few more features.

Truth be told, I did actually consider the A6. But the 3.0 Supercharged version I really wanted was a little out of my price range.
The 3.0TFSI spoils you. I guess your next move will be the A6 The S6 and the like are amazing too but, according to me, too powerful for roads with traffic.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
The 3.0TFSI spoils you. I guess your next move will be the A6 The S6 and the like are amazing too but, according to me, too powerful for roads with traffic.
That is EXACTLY what happened. My wife and I drove the 2.0 first, and it was nice. But then we drove the 3.0 and it was freak'n awesome! We were spoiled rotten forever.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That is EXACTLY what happened. My wife and I drove the 2.0 first, and it was nice. But then we drove the 3.0 and it was freak'n awesome! We were spoiled rotten forever.
As you can see from my signature, my A4 (which I bought 1.5 weeks back) has done 215 miles (15 miles when I got her) whereas my A7 (which I got last night) has done 155 miles (19 miles when I got her).
The 3.0TFSI is the reason I can't consider other cars in the same category anymore. Even my friends 535i, which I drove extensively and the Jaguar XF 35t didn't help much.

Last edited by VipinLJ; 11-30-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted the S3 as I like the compact sporty styling. Test drive was convincing especially the power and aggressive exhaust note but I was not fond of the VW-like dash and circular vents. After sitting in the A4 and test driving it, I was sold on the A4.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strife1013
Nope too small. I've driven an A3 before and there just isn't enough room. I have a baby seat in my car and in the A3 there was literally no room for my wife (she's 5'2) on the passenger side. And I was so smashed when I sat in the passenger side (I'm 5'8) She felt even cramped in the B8.

She was in my car for the first time last night with the car seat in the car and she felt that she had enough room that extra inch compared to the B8 is huge with a rear facing car seat. Also I don't like the look of the A3 all those rounds vents looks like bug eyes too me.

I love everything about the A4, so again, nope it didn't even cross my mind. Having a family I need space in my car to haul things around and maintain comfort. Even if I was single I'd still pick the A4. But that's just me.
You're totally right about the carseat... I had a 2015 and it was tiny compared to the 2017.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

The 3.0 is awesome, but in all fairness I traded an S5 with that engine for my A4 and don't feel like I've given up very much in terms of performance... and I've gained a lot quieter car. The handling with the A4 seems to be more nimble as well with the lighter engine up front, or that could just be the reworked chassis... which is also a great thing!

Re: the A3/S3, the A4 is just the RIGHT SIZE for us. Plenty of room in the garage, easy to park, yet plenty of room inside and a large trunk as well. It hits the sweet spot!

Last edited by dseag2; 12-26-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I turned in a Golf TDI to get the A4.

Part of the reason was that it is a bigger car -- I am 6'2" with long legs and I barely fit into the Golf. No one could comfortably sit behind me.

I looked at and quickly dismissed the A3 because even with the virtual cockpit in the 2017 A3, the A4 is just worth the small extra $ penalty for the size and power improvement. Then you add in the much more leading edge design (interior especially) and the quietness of the cabin -- I found the A4 to be the far and away preferable car.

Quick Reply: Did anyone consider the A3?