Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2.0T & 3.0T Differences

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
I would find that hard to believe unless BMW and other competition do the same. Audi would lose a lot of customers not offering a fast 6 cylinder option to compete with the other manufacturers
They have one. The TDI is just about as fast as the 3.0T. The BiTDI sold in Europe blows it away.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is 2.0 TFSI excessive oil consumption problem fixed on a c7?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts
Default It's the way the world is trending:

Originally Posted by irenesbob

The 2016 A6 2.0 Q Tip P+: 252 HP 5,000 to 6,000 rpm and 273 lb-ft of torque from 1,600 to 4,500 rpm

Yeah, that's going to be a noticeable upgrade for the 4 cyl cars.

I had a 4 cyl A6 as a loaner car for four days not too long ago. Performance and overall powertrain integration was better than I expected.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
They have one. The TDI is just about as fast as the 3.0T. The BiTDI sold in Europe blows it away.
Unless all those other manufacturers go the diesel route my point still stands. Many people do not like diesel engines in the US.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

While not yet as accepted in Europe and ROW, there is no question that diesel engines are becoming more popular in NA and Audi and the other luxury brands are taking note. It's not inconceivable that sometime in the future, they will become the standard. If that happens, there will always be people who will be unhappy no matter what Audi does in the U.S. Discontinuing the A4 and A6 Avants for example. It's all driven by marketing and financial decisions based on what will provide the most sales and return on investment.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
While not yet as accepted in Europe and ROW, there is no question that diesel engines are becoming more popular in NA and Audi and the other luxury brands are taking note. It's not inconceivable that sometime in the future, they will become the standard. If that happens, there will always be people who will be unhappy no matter what Audi does in the U.S. Discontinuing the A4 and A6 Avants for example. It's all driven by marketing and financial decisions based on what will provide the most sales and return on investment.
Very true. I remember when we were having the conversation on the C6 forum that Audi needed to have a naturally aspirated V8 available for the A6 in order to compete. Of course the 4.2 is gone. The technology clock is ticking.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

The reason diesels are accepted in Europe is simply subsidized diesel fuel. Things are changing though in Europe where more countries will go the opposite direction and will discourage diesel sales (France, UK, ...).

Here in US we see increased diesel sales due to more models offered but plug-in hybrids and EV's sales are growing much more. I expect Audi like BMW to offer more EV's and PHEV's (e.g. E-tron models). Given cost of diesel fuel (and low gas prices) combined with Audi's diesel premiums it seems unlikely we'll see that much increased volume.

See latest alternative fuel sales numbers here: February 2015 Dashboard - HybridCars.com

Last edited by Lucien4; 03-06-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Diesels are a niche market in the US. They make up about 3% of all car sales. I doubt Audi would be stupid enough to upset 97% of the buying public
Old 03-06-2015, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Diesels are a niche market in the US. They make up about 3% of all car sales. I doubt Audi would be stupid enough to upset 97% of the buying public
VAG leads the way in clean diesel sales in the US and their share is significantly higher than 3% of their total sales. One can google U.S. Audi diesel sales and read many articles how the sales growth over the last 3 years is in the 25-30% range. As I said previously, if it were to happen that diesel becomes the standard, it would be in the future. Next to last word as usual.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

VAG leads the way in clean diesel sales in the US and their share is significantly higher than 3% of their total sales. One can google U.S. Audi diesel sales and read many articles how the sales growth over the last 3 years is in the 25-30% range. As I said previously, if it were to happen that diesel becomes the standard, it would be in the future. Next to last word as usual.
Well since you only want the next to last word, the US Public, if they look for alternative engines, is more enthralled with hybrids (10% or so) than diesels (3%)

Yes, VAG leads the way in diesel sales in the US - but they also offer lots of other more conventional choices. And they do that because they sell a whole lot more gas engines than diesels. Your premise was that 'it is possible that Audi might eventually drop the 3.0T in favor of only the TDI as diesel becomes more popular in NA.". First, with just 3% of the market being diesel, it is not likely that diesels gain much more popularity any time soon. Second, while VAG has sold more diesel vehicles than other manufacturers, it is my premise that it would be a marketing / sales disaster if they eliminated their 6 or 8 cylinder gas engines in place of diesels - unless BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and all their other competition did the same.

Your "sometime in the future, it is not inconceivable diesels become the standard" is quite nebulous. While anything is possible, there is nothing that supports the liklihood of this happening in even the next 10 years.

Quick Reply: 2.0T & 3.0T Differences