Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Advice on purchasing a 2012-2014 A63.0T Prestige quattro

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on purchasing a 2012-2014 A63.0T Prestige quattro

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and looking for advice on my future purchase of an A6 3.0T Prestige quattro.

How is the reliability of these cars around 2012-2014?

What types of issues should I look for when test driving?

What is the average mileage life to expect out of these? Looking for one under 50,000 miles that has some of the warranty remaining preferably certified pre-owned.

How is the aftermarket parts for engine mods and suspension upgrades?

Is there ability for D.I.Y. maintenance i.e., oil change, brakes, simple stuff that doesn't require taking to the dealership?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-28-2016, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased my 2012 3.0T Prestige 2 years ago. It wasn't a CPO, but it only had 33k miles on it, so I had ~1 year of warranty left on it. I figured if it went through that year with minimal issues I'd feel good about keeping it long-term. My previous car was a 2002 A4 that I bought new and put 193k miles on, so I wasn't afraid of long-term ownership - I just didn't want to be dealing with some issue constantly...

My reliability experience has been very good - I've only had one mechanical problem - one of the hood latches failed (just got a warning light on the dash, the other latches still held the hood) and it was replaced under warranty. I had a few "operational" annoyances (low stereo bass, jerky shifting, etc) that were all corrected under TSB's, but in the last year it's been problem-free. Except for a couple services that were covered by the previous owner's purchase of AudiCare, I've done my own maintenance (oil/filter changes, spark plugs, belt, brakes) pretty easily and affordably (note I didn't say cheap, but much cheaper than a dealership). I expect to drive this one until ~200k as well, if it keeps working like it is now.

If you're going to keep it long-term, you should either buy the VAG-COM cable and software, or find a friend close by that has it. The diagnosis capability is invaluable, and is needed for things like replacing the rear brakes (car has an electric e-brake that needs to be put into service mode) and resetting the service interval warnings. It can also be used to adjust some of the feature programming (lights, instrument displays, infotainment features, etc).

If you want something under 50k miles, you'll probably be looking at 2014's, and maybe a few 2013's. I'm at 69k on my 2012...

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2016, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've had mine for only a little over a week and it's been heaven. I bought it with 61,000 miles on it BUT before i purchased it I went to my local Audi dealer and did a vin search on a few of the cars I was looking at. This one had ALL the recommended service done at the Audi dealership that it was purchased at with the exception of the 55K service. I knew what the cost of this service was so I used it to take off some more money. My local Audi dealership did the 55/65 service and basically changed All the fluids in the car. My next service should be a year from now!! The car is awesome and drives like a dream. This is my fourth Audi (all A4's) and overall ninth VAG car. Also I went with a 2013 to skip over the first year conundrums, real or not, I just never buy the first model year for anything.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Awesome thanks for the responses! I am going to test drive the A6 and A7 tomorrow along with the Lexus GS 350 F Sport. I remember the first Audi I ever rode in was back in 2004 which was a brand new A4. It was a nice car and I always said that I would consider Audi in my future car searches. I really like the A7 and may end up with one of those over the A6. Is there any major differences between the A6 and A7 besides the body style and power lift gate on the A7?
Old 05-31-2016, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just purchased a 2012 3.0 prestige a few months ago. Test drove everything in the class multiple times including the GS 350 f sport and BMW 535i with the M package. My wife drives a Lexus ES330 and the car has been dead nuts reliable, it now has 170k on it. I truly fretted over this decision for weeks. Each car had it strengths but it came down to the reliability of the Lexus vs what seemed to me to clearly be the best overall car of the 3. Obviously I went with the A6 and truth be told have not once regretted that decision. I love this car and it has taken its place as the second favorite car I've ever owned behind my Porsche.
Will the reliability hold up and keep me feeling this way in the years to come? Only time will tell, but for now to me the choice remains clear.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dkp993-A6
I just purchased a 2012 3.0 prestige a few months ago. Test drove everything in the class multiple times including the GS 350 f sport and BMW 535i with the M package. My wife drives a Lexus ES330 and the car has been dead nuts reliable, it now has 170k on it. I truly fretted over this decision for weeks. Each car had it strengths but it came down to the reliability of the Lexus vs what seemed to me to clearly be the best overall car of the 3. Obviously I went with the A6 and truth be told have not once regretted that decision. I love this car and it has taken its place as the second favorite car I've ever owned behind my Porsche.
Will the reliability hold up and keep me feeling this way in the years to come? Only time will tell, but for now to me the choice remains clear.
Nice, I deove both the A6 and A7 today. The A7 was a 2012 Prestige and the A6 was a 2015 premium plus. Both of them equipped with the 3.0T with AWD. The A7 was the best driving to me but the A6 seemed to be faster. I told the salesman that and he said it is the same engine but I've been around cars all my life and know a lot about them and that A7 had something wrong with it. When he started it up it sounded almost like a diseal engine with a loud ticking noise and some other weird noise. It was not a diseal engine at all which made me skeptical about possible engine issues. However, I loved the ride quality of the prestige A7 over the premium plus A6. I also tested the Lexus GS 350 F Sport today and while it is nice I have scratched it off my list. It is too small for my family of four and I was under impressed with the performance. I wanted to like the GS more but it left me wanting so much more. The powerband in the GS took a while to build up which I didn't like. The A6 and A7 both had instant power at low RPM range. That A7 is so sexy and I am leaning more towards it over the A6 even though I would be happy with either. I told my wife as we were pulling back in from the second test that I should buy both (joking) and she looked at me like I was crazy lol. I also loved the interior in the Audi A7. Pictures and video don't do this car justice it is a must see in person. I looked at the 2016 A4 as well but I didn't care much for it. Now if I can find me a 2013-2014 A7 prestige with white exterior and black interior close by.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's funny about the wife conversation. I've had a similar one. When we're ready to move on from her Lexus I will be on the hunt for a S6/7 and be giving her the A6. Lol

The torque of the 3.0 was a seller for me to. The grunt it has down low makes the car feel so much more fun then it's competitors.

Good luck in your search!
Old 06-01-2016, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by dkp993-A6
That's funny about the wife conversation. I've had a similar one. When we're ready to move on from her Lexus I will be on the hunt for a S6/7 and be giving her the A6. Lol

The torque of the 3.0 was a seller for me to. The grunt it has down low makes the car feel so much more fun then it's competitors.

Good luck in your search!

+1. Coming from an /06 Acura TL and also owning a /94 Acura NSX I was torque starved until I got my /15 3.0T. Love the grunt this engine/transmission combination has. Reminds me of a good old American V8 pre-emission control days! The ZF 8 speed auto is a great transmission and the pairing of this transmission with the supercharged 3 litre is one of the nicest powertrains on the market IMHO. Good luck with your search.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

2012 A6 Prestige. Fully loaded. 31,500 miles. Trouble free.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Acuransx
+1. Coming from an /06 Acura TL and also owning a /94 Acura NSX I was torque starved until I got my /15 3.0T. Love the grunt this engine/transmission combination has. Reminds me of a good old American V8 pre-emission control days! The ZF 8 speed auto is a great transmission and the pairing of this transmission with the supercharged 3 litre is one of the nicest powertrains on the market IMHO. Good luck with your search.
I said the same thing when I was driving both the A6 and A7. They remind me of a V8 with that low growl they put off in idle and normal take off.