Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Advise on buying a new A6

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on buying a new A6

I am coming off a BMW 535i which I did not like as much because of the seats and the navigation system. I settled on a V-6 Quattro Premium plus or Prestige model. A driver assist package is a must. I am looking for insights as to which packages are worth getting and any other helpful suggestions regarding the purchase. An example is the sport package is it too stiff?
Old 08-28-2016, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

The sport package provides better handling with less body roll (and it makes the car look better with the lower chassis). Is it too stiff? Only you can answer that. Drive an a6 with sport and decide. As to the other options, you will also get many different opinions. Again, read what's included in each and decide if it's worth the money. What makes me happy might not do the same for you.

All that said, I have the Prestige, 19" Sport package, driver assist package with ACC, side assist and Presense Plus and B&O. I passed on the HUD with night vision. I have zero regrets after 4 years of driving.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the S-line is too stiff (compared to my son's S4), but I never drove any without it to compare.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree that only you can decided if the ride is too stiff. We have a 328i XDrive and just bought a 2016 A6 S Line with sport suspension. The Audi has 19" wheels and personally, I wouldn't want to go any bigger. The ride is firm but not harsh, except over some broken pavement, but not a deal breaker for us as we are used to firmer suspensions.

For me, both the Audi and BMW are a treat to drive. They ride, handle and feel different but both in a good way. For a longer road trip I'd opt for the A6 every time.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silberma
I am coming off a BMW 535i which I did not like as much because of the seats and the navigation system. I settled on a V-6 Quattro Premium plus or Prestige model. A driver assist package is a must. I am looking for insights as to which packages are worth getting and any other helpful suggestions regarding the purchase. An example is the sport package is it too stiff?
Here is some more anecdotal data which may (or may not!) help you calibrate how you feel in advance of test driving for yourself.

We bought the 2016 A6 Prestige. Price class was driven by my wife's love of the heads up display. She was coming out of a MB E-Class. For her, BMWs ride too stiffly. My BMW has settings for Sport and Comfort, and when she's in the car, we use Comfort. Her A6 Prestige has the standard suspension, and she says (she just told me!) the balance of ride and handling is "excellent", and that's through her lens of having liked the prior MB and not a BMW fan. She has no interest whatsoever in the appearance of ride height, something we actually agree on!

Good luck and best wishes with your decision and purchase!
Old 08-29-2016, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

My two cents....I also have the sport suspension on my 2016 A6, the handling will be a noticeable improvement vs the stock suspension, but it will only matter to you if you are going to push things a bit and care about better handling in more aggressive diving (done safely of course). I wanted the better handling. With the sport suspension the car feels glued to the road during more aggressive driving. For me it adds more of a fun factor to the car and personally I still think it's plenty comfy. You do feel bumps in the road more clearly though.

It's a very personal thing to decide if the sport suspension is "too stiff" for you. Some people expect a luxury sedan to have a cushy/insulated feel over bumps in the road and are shocked by the stiffer ride of a sport tuned suspension. I don't have any problem with it. 99% of the time I am on very good roads and the car floats smoothly down the highway with the sport suspension in such conditions.

My advice is just be realistic about the kind of driving you will really be doing, and what your priorities are in how the car will feel. My wife for example is a very conservative driver - the sport suspension would be wasted on her driving style. If you just want the smoothest possible luxury feel at all times in your A6 and you are driving conservatively don't get the sport suspension. It's still a great car without it.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife made the decision a year ago for Euro Delivery. Her A6 Prestige has just about every option, but no sport suspension or black headliner. I requested the B&O audio after hearing it on several Audi's. Invoice is attached. She is very happy with the car, and while it is not at all like my S5 in dynamic mode, it is a pleasure to drive. The active cruise is great in traffic jams, down to 1 mph. LED headlights are great. We drove through Europe last summer for 5 weeks with our 16 and 12 year old grandkids in this A6.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audi A6 Order.pdf (34.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 08-29-2016, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not get a S6 to have the best of both worlds: comfortable highway cruising and when needed just put suspension in dynamic and you're "glued" in the corners