Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Chipwerke piggyback results

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GIAC never returned my inquiries though it would have been nice since they are here in Los Angeles. I am "unlucky" enough to have a 2014 that APR has not yet cracked the encryption for so that was not an option either. Chipwerke was having a sale for $279 ($300 delivered). For that money, I figured I'd take the chance!! I've had the box for a short time and the increase is pretty serious. This big car feels as quick as my 300hp IS350 did. I like the plug and play. The tranny does seem rather confused about which gear to be in. Maybe it has learning tables and will adapt but it shifts early under medium throttle and bogs a bit. Normal driving feels less mushy. Top end pulls pretty hard; not flat like before but linear like other SC'd cars I've owned and driven. Haven't really stretched its legs.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thats a great gain. Will it stay off the radar when(if) Audi checks the ECU for changes?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Banned

They never noticed it on my car, but I removed the whole thing when I brought it in. Thats the beauty of a piggyback, you can install and remove it whenever you want.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyinglow
I've enjoyed my chipwerke for a couple of months and have put it to use posting respectable autocross and track times.
Yesterday while driving on regular roads I had an orange check engine light come on. I pulled a couple of engine codes. I didn't save the exact number but one was regarding the boost and the other was the MAP and throttle position. I disconnected the piggyback, cleared the codes and the light went away. I'll drive it for a day or so before reconnecting to see if that was in fact culprit.
Did anyone else have a similar issue?
Did anything re-occur?
Old 09-17-2014, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It would be nice if VCDS could monitor the TD1 code. Has anyone any information on this?
Old 09-24-2014, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DB22
Did anything re-occur?
Negative. It's been running great and no other issues with the check engine light.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I had exactly the same issue as Flyinglow post 276. I removed the Chipwerke and still had the light for a couple of days and then it went out on its own. I then cleared the codes and in a week or 2 I will take it for the 15K service. The Chipwerke is still off of the car and will be until I get the 15K done. I have now been operating for about a week without the Chipwerke and no errors but I still am not suspicious of the Chipwerke so I do not mean to raise alarms.

One other note: I enabled the "Economy" mode and drove a couple of times with it on. I did notice a difference in MPG but did not notice any drivability changes. I was, however, driving frugally for best MPG. The check engine light came on within a day or two but not during my Economy runs. I was wondering if Economy changed mixture, timing or something else that would affect the check engine light sensing?
Old 09-24-2014, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not to be an @$$h0l3 but at risk of pointing out the obvious.... You have a box which lies to the ECU about the sensor inputs and you're surprised the ECU throws codes when it's lied to???!?!?

These interposer "solutions" try to trick the ECU and modern ECUs are smarter and smarter, so tricking them is tougher... I'm completely unsurprised by gremlin MILs which go away when the interposer is removed, and which aren't consistent when the interposer is present.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Not to be an @$$h0l3 but at risk of pointing out the obvious.... You have a box which lies to the ECU about the sensor inputs and you're surprised the ECU throws codes when it's lied to???!?!?

These interposer "solutions" try to trick the ECU and modern ECUs are smarter and smarter, so tricking them is tougher... I'm completely unsurprised by gremlin MILs which go away when the interposer is removed, and which aren't consistent when the interposer is present.
I agree and most people on this forum know the risk. I just wanted to point out that I'm not sure that it is the chip yet because my diagnostics are inconclusive. Secondly, there are a lot of Chipwerkes on this forum and only 2 reports of code errors. Thirdly, I mentioned the Economy enabling through VCDS to ask others if they had tried it, what it does and is that non-standard mode liable to throw a code. I'm just sharing my info so that all interested parties are up to speed with the possible idiosyncrasies of the Chipwerke.
BTW - I miss the power of not having it on right now.

Quick Reply: Chipwerke piggyback results