Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Chipwerke piggyback results

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Not to be an @$$h0l3 but at risk of pointing out the obvious.... You have a box which lies to the ECU about the sensor inputs and you're surprised the ECU throws codes when it's lied to???!?!?

These interposer "solutions" try to trick the ECU and modern ECUs are smarter and smarter, so tricking them is tougher... I'm completely unsurprised by gremlin MILs which go away when the interposer is removed, and which aren't consistent when the interposer is present.
Big surprise, my first response was deleted. Typical BS.

Anyway, as I was saying, I've been running these for years, on the Audi and my last 2 BMWs and they never threw a code. Until the "tuners" realize that their "tunes" aren't worth anywhere near $1300+ just because they work on German cars, these are the best solution available.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Me too... maybe

My car keeps throwing a p0456 slight evaporative leak. I've disconnected the box to see if that is it or coincidental. If it still errors I'll take out to the dealer. Likely a bad fuel cap. I think it takes three fail cycles of the canister test to trip the mil.

(Please don't bother telling me to tighten the fuel cap.)
Old 09-24-2014, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Big surprise, my first response was deleted. Typical BS.
It shouldn't be any surprise to you that your post was deleted considering the inclusion of the inappropriate content.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does anyone know what the two adjusters on the Chipwerke box do? I still keep throwing the p0456 evap code with the box installed. It's as if there is boost at startup not allowing the cannister/tank test to complete with enough vacuum or something.

I emailed them and they said to turn both down a couple of clicks. By down, I'm assuming counterclockwise as the HEX digits decrease on the switches. However, I think I actually have more boost by doing this. They didn't reply to my inquiry of what the two adjusters do and it feels like Russian Roulette.

I see that Mike L who seemed to be the early adopter and most knowledgeable one on this box has been banned so... I don't know.

<Edit> Ok not sure how I missed the videos on Page 24 :-p Looks like the left one controls power above 20% in 1.5% increments. The lowest setting will be 8 and rotating around, the highest output is 7. Would have never guessed that.

The right **** controls the rpm at which it is activated according to other videos. Haven't found much info yet. I'm not sure how it is getting an rpm reading unless those are CAN BUS wires going to the MAP sensors. They implied the right **** is for diesel motors only. Doesn't make sense. I think it does do something on gas motors. It would explain why I felt "more" boost after also turning that one down. The box must kick in earlier. That would hurt gas mileage. So maybe turning it up will help my issue. More Roulette.

Last edited by HaveBlue; 10-10-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok a little follow up after watching some of the German videos (luckily I'm fluent) and doing some testing.

Chipwerke and RaceChip have some overlap and the same components just repackaged as noted by others.

Viewing the adjusters with the PCB on the bottom, the left one controls max boost above 20% in 1.5% increments. The lowest setting will be 8 and rotating around, the highest output is 7.
The right one controls the rpm trigger. Turn it down and the box kicks in sooner. Turn it up and it works at higher rpm leaving the lower rpm band stock. There is little info on how much the adjuster does. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the RaceChip manual.

The 3.0TFSI shipped setting is B1 (B for the left adjuster and 1 for the right.)

I was able to eliminate the P0456 Evap error by adjusting the right one to 2 so the box doesn't interfere with the cannister test on cold start. Setting to 0 I got an immediate MIL at start.

Last edited by HaveBlue; 10-16-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
Ok a little follow up after watching some of the German videos (luckily I'm fluent) and doing some testing.

Chipwerke and RaceChip have some overlap and the same components just repackaged as noted by others.

Viewing the adjusters with the PCB on the bottom, the left one controls max boost above 20% in 1.5% increments. The lowest setting will be 8 and rotating around, the highest output is 7.
The right one controls the rpm trigger. Turn it down and the box kicks in sooner. Turn it up and it works at higher rpm leaving the lower rpm band stock. There is little info on how much the adjuster does. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the RaceChip manual.

The 3.0TFSI shipped setting is B1 (B for the left adjuster and 1 for the right.)

I was able to eliminate the P0456 Evap error by adjusting the right one to 2 so the box doesn't interfere with the cannister test on cold start. Setting to 0 I got an immediate MIL at start.
Great work and conclusions, thank you.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does anyone have experience with the "premium" RaceChip offerings? The RaceChip TB Pro2 seems to offer a significant increase over the ChipWerke or standard RaceChip TB (371HP vs 345HP). The RaceChip TB Ultimate costs and extra $100 but offers minimal if any advantage over the RaceChip TB Pro2.

https://www.racechip-usa.com/chiptun...-0-TFSI-220kw/
Old 11-20-2014, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by vizwiz
Does anyone have experience with the "premium" RaceChip offerings? The RaceChip TB Pro2 seems to offer a significant increase over the ChipWerke or standard RaceChip TB (371HP vs 345HP). The RaceChip TB Ultimate costs and extra $100 but offers minimal if any advantage over the RaceChip TB Pro2.

https://www.racechip-usa.com/chiptun...-0-TFSI-220kw/
I think the ultimate can be reprogrammed for a different model vehicle for a small fee. I saw $149 somewhere.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
I think the ultimate can be reprogrammed for a different model vehicle for a small fee. I saw $149 somewhere.
Interesting, I cannot find any information on that reprogrammability at their website.

Does anyone have experience running the higher gain levels in the RaceChip Pro without tripping codes? (371HP). I am wondering if those are sustainable or just ideal world estimates.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by vizwiz
Interesting, I cannot find any information on that reprogrammability at their website.

Does anyone have experience running the higher gain levels in the RaceChip Pro without tripping codes? (371HP). I am wondering if those are sustainable or just ideal world estimates.
I think I saw it on a BMW forum.

Quick Reply: Chipwerke piggyback results