Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Having a problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem in IA when I bought a CPO. I could not register my car until I got the title. Bought car from California, they seemed surprised how anxious I was to get my title, I also did not have a temp, so basically I drove around with no plates until I got it...

I think they were waiting for it back from an AoA lease/finance before they could send it to me. Was frustrating, but it didn't take too long. They were additionally confused because I guess plates stay with the car in CA. However they must have decided to take them off as they were shipping out of state, as it arrived without any plates.

There seemed to be some grace period in IA of 7 days or so, but nobody at the DMV could really reassure me that was the case...

At least keep your purchase paperwork with you and if you get pulled over show that and play dumb.

Based on the research I did it seemed like a bad idea to put plates from another car on the new car, that seemed like it would be seen as a much bigger deal (although you are less likely to get pulled over in that situation)
Old 08-25-2014, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
I had a similar problem in IA when I bought a CPO. I could not register my car until I got the title. Bought car from California, they seemed surprised how anxious I was to get my title, I also did not have a temp, so basically I drove around with no plates until I got it... I think they were waiting for it back from an AoA lease/finance before they could send it to me. Was frustrating, but it didn't take too long. They were additionally confused because I guess plates stay with the car in CA. However they must have decided to take them off as they were shipping out of state, as it arrived without any plates. There seemed to be some grace period in IA of 7 days or so, but nobody at the DMV could really reassure me that was the case... At least keep your purchase paperwork with you and if you get pulled over show that and play dumb. Based on the research I did it seemed like a bad idea to put plates from another car on the new car, that seemed like it would be seen as a much bigger deal (although you are less likely to get pulled over in that situation)
Oh wow. Yeah and the dealership told me that they would pay for all the late fees and stuff. I'm just scared that if I do get pulled over by a state trooper it'll be a hassle explaining it to them. Sometimes they'll run your plate if they're behind you. I just wanted to be safe and not drive the car till my title arrives. The plate that's on the car now is still registered under my 370z which I traded for the Audi.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by audia612
Oh wow. Yeah and the dealership told me that they would pay for all the late fees and stuff. I'm just scared that if I do get pulled over by a state trooper it'll be a hassle explaining it to them. Sometimes they'll run your plate if they're behind you. I just wanted to be safe and not drive the car till my title arrives. The plate that's on the car now is still registered under my 370z which I traded for the Audi.

Are they personalized plates? If not why do you still have your old plates and why did you put them on your new car?

This issue must vary state to state. Here in CA the dealer handles everything. You get a temp registration taped on the inside front windshield. Then the dealer handles all the DMV communications and the registration, tags, plates and pink slip come from the DMV.

I actually got pulled over about a week after I had my new car. I had no plates, cop didn't bother to look at temp registration. He did want my temp proof of insurance and my driver's license. (I beat the ticket even though I made a U turn across six double yellow lines of a busway. I claimed ignorance and stupidity)
Old 08-25-2014, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by UCLABB
I beat the ticket even though I made a U turn across six double yellow lines of a busway.
Personally I wouldn't suggest ever admitting to that.

I claimed ignorance and stupidity
While this seems self-evident from the above, I'm surprised it was an acceptable defense even in Kalifornia!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are they personalized plates? If not why do you still have your old plates and why did you put them on your new car? This issue must vary state to state. Here in CA the dealer handles everything. You get a temp registration taped on the inside front windshield. Then the dealer handles all the DMV communications and the registration, tags, plates and pink slip come from the DMV. I actually got pulled over about a week after I had my new car. I had no plates, cop didn't bother to look at temp registration. He did want my temp proof of insurance and my driver's license. (I beat the ticket even though I made a U turn across six double yellow lines of a busway. I claimed ignorance and stupidity)
It is personalized plate. Even if it's not in my state when we trade in for a new car we keep the old plates to put it on the new car then when we get the title to the car we take it to the DMV and they transfer over the plates to the new car and sends off the car title to get the name changed then You receive the title in the mail with your name on it.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

OP: Does your state have no provisions for temporary tags???? I'm floored that you would let a "new" car sit in your garage over this. Surely the situation isn't at all uncommon and your DMV can provide a way to be legal! If there's a fee associated with this, I'd simply ask the selling dealer to reimburse you (or comp you some accessories) for it once the situation is finally resolved.

Another AW member was (maybe still is) in a similar situation here with plates on his car - my ED car arrived and was duly plated while he was still on his Nth set of temporary tags for a car he'd been driving while I was in Germany picking mine up!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Personally I wouldn't suggest ever admitting to that.

While this seems self-evident from the above, I'm surprised it was an acceptable defense even in Kalifornia!
I should have been more clear. That would never work in court. I didn't beat the ticket, the cop let me off with a warning.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audia612
It is personalized plate. Even if it's not in my state when we trade in for a new car we keep the old plates to put it on the new car then when we get the title to the car we take it to the DMV and they transfer over the plates to the new car and sends off the car title to get the name changed then You receive the title in the mail with your name on it.
That's actually a cool way to do it. When I bought my CPO Audi, they must have lost the plates. They then had to apply to the DMV for new plates. In any event, the temp registration for the windshield was good for 60 days. I'm surprised your state doesn't have something similar to CA's temp registration.