Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

heads up display erased with polarized sunglasses?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a newer pair of maui jims which is circular polarized and the hud is fairly dim but i can see it if i tilt my head.

To me its not a biggy... this is the reason porsche sunglasses are never polarized. I prefer polarized for when i am out and about.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Do you guys like the HUD? I'm driving a 2016 A6 Prestige loaner today and it has the HUD. Besides the issue of my polarized sunglasses wiping it out, I find it completely useless. I usually can be had for any kind of gadget, but the HUD seems like a solution in search of a problem. At least in its current form. Am I missing something or can the Audi HUD only display the speed and turn directions when navigating? I mean that information is sufficiently available on the dash with a quick glance. I was actually annoyed by the floating information in my view and after a while my brain started to tune it out just like it's tuning out a bug splat on the windshield.
I love the HUD.

I feel it's in the same bucket as a lot of other new technologies in the information age... Could we get by without it, yes, but once you get used to it, it's hard to go back to the old way...

Yes you can see the nav info on the middle DIS also, but by having it on the HUD it frees up the DIS for displaying other info if desired.

I do prefer moving the HUD display a bit out of the way by turning the **** to it's lowest angle, so you might give that a try if you feel it's intrusive.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RCCurtis
I oversimplified the statement. The reflected HUD does go black thru horizontally polarized glasses, "black" meaning no light. ...

BTW, I rented a corvette w/ HUD a few years ago, and it was visible thru my polarized Oakley's.
Aaahh gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
Very interesting on that Corvette. What year was it? I owned a GM that still had the HUD problem so curious if they have recently fixed that problem. I doubt "General Motors" would radically deviate from their technology for only one vehicle, even though it's their flagship model, but anything's possible.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Tman007
I love the HUD.

I feel it's in the same bucket as a lot of other new technologies in the information age... Could we get by without it, yes, but once you get used to it, it's hard to go back to the old way...

Yes you can see the nav info on the middle DIS also, but by having it on the HUD it frees up the DIS for displaying other info if desired.

I do prefer moving the HUD display a bit out of the way by turning the **** to it's lowest angle, so you might give that a try if you feel it's intrusive.
After learning here how to turn it off, I ended up turning it off for the rest of today. However, then I realized that with the 2016 you can no longer have the maneuver displayed in the DIS. It displays the entire map now just like the MMI screen and on the MMI screen you can't have split screen with maneuver and route info anymore. You can only either have maneuver or route info on the split screen. The new 4G MMI seems to be a step back in some areas. I must say after two days in this car, I still prefer the MMI 3G+ that shows the maneuver in the DIS, and on the MMI screen it shows the route info, but switches to maneuver when necessary. I still think the HUD is pointless, especially if it makes you buy new sunglasses. The whole reason I wear polarized sunglasses is to block glare while driving.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
Aaahh gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
Very interesting on that Corvette. What year was it? I owned a GM that still had the HUD problem so curious if they have recently fixed that problem. I doubt "General Motors" would radically deviate from their technology for only one vehicle, even though it's their flagship model, but anything's possible.
It was mid 2013 in Chicago. The Corvette was not new, maybe a couple yrs old, so it might have been a 2011 or so. Very large luggage area behind the seats. The HUD was very dim, close to the bottom of the windshield, and was just the speedo. There are plenty of tricks to boost non-horizontal reflection, but I don't know what was used.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by porksoda
I have a newer pair of maui jims which is circular polarized and the hud is fairly dim but i can see it if i tilt my head.

To me its not a biggy... this is the reason porsche sunglasses are never polarized. I prefer polarized for when i am out and about.
I think you maybe mistaken. I've read on few pages on the forums here people mentioning Maui Jims and them as one person noted a special angle lens designed at to work with HUD, and this comment about circular ones to work with HUD, but as another commentor noted I've seen no mention of that on their site and would certainly be something they would market as an competitive advantage.

I see this post was from 2015, but as late as 2018 on Twitter I see Maui Jim noting there's are still not HUD compatible because, "all Maui Jim sunglasses are set with a horizontal polarized axis to help manage harmful glare from above and below your eyes.":

I have polorized Maui Jim's and Oakleys and like with all polorized sunglasses depending on the angle you tilt you can see more of the HUD, so that maybe how some people believe the Maui's did something they don't. Hope this helps!
Old 04-15-2019, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisCraft
I think you maybe mistaken. I've read on few pages on the forums here people mentioning Maui Jims and them as one person noted a special angle lens designed at to work with HUD, and this comment about circular ones to work with HUD, but as another commentor noted I've seen no mention of that on their site and would certainly be something they would market as an competitive advantage.

I see this post was from 2015, but as late as 2018 on Twitter I see Maui Jim noting there's are still not HUD compatible because, "all Maui Jim sunglasses are set with a horizontal polarized axis to help manage harmful glare from above and below your eyes.": https://twitter.com/phil_jedimaster/...69878368870400

I have polorized Maui Jim's and Oakleys and like with all polorized sunglasses depending on the angle you tilt you can see more of the HUD, so that maybe how some people believe the Maui's did something they don't. Hope this helps!
Yes i am mistaken as my reality is skewed and you have a better handle on my reality and are able to comprehend what i see and what i don't better than i can.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by porksoda
Yes i am mistaken as my reality is skewed and you have a better handle on my reality and are able to comprehend what i see and what i don't better than i can.
thank you for clarifying that your issue was that you posted in a thread regarding heads up display and polarized sunglasses, vs an issue with polarized sunglasses and other elements in your particular car. That explains it. Sounds like some others have experienced as well so would definetly recommend you create a post about that particular issue so others can chime in and see if there are any resolutions. In regards to this thread, hopefully someday there will be a solution for heads up and polarized sunglasses, whether change to the glasses or eventually cars or more likely glasses from companies like Apple that will display heads up via the glasses using AR.