Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Interest in cheaper alternative to Audi Connect?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sroger, keep me posted for sure. I'm still hoping to find a way hack into my data plan from either an iPhone or a Droid (we have both) that are already set up as hot spots. However, a prepaid card would work as well.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of your work on this and please keep us posted. I've got an A7 whose 6 month "trial" is expiring this coming Friday. I've used it only for the Google maps functionality so far and it's been great but not work $30 a month. So would be very interested in hearing your beta details once you are ready.

Again thanks for your work on this, it is appreciated

Dean
Dallas, TX
Old 11-15-2011, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sgroer, thanks for posting this. My A7 was supposed to land at the port today, but I'm sure I'll be interested after the initial plan expires.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sgroer
I work in mobile telecom and am making progress on a "prepaid" solution to Audi Connect. There are a couple of options I am exploring, but I think I can come up with the following options:
$5 / month - Google Search, Gas Prices, News
$10 - $15 / Month - The above plus Google Earth

Wireless hotspot will not be an option to use consistently. Basically, I have analyzed how much data my car consumes using the various options and am working with some of my contacts in the industry to set up some options for plans that will be on the T-Mobile network.

I should have my first test SIM card for myself in a few weeks, and then I'll update if it seems that there is interest among the community in an option like this. I'd like to have this live by the first of the year. Much can still go wrong and it could fall on its face, but I am currently fairly optimistic that I can make this work. The $30/ month is too much and has caused me to search for an innovative solution.

Let me know your thoughts, and don't get too excited yet. A lot of work left to do before this is a real offering.
Whatever happened to this project? My 2.5 years of pre-paid is up Jan/2015. I'm not shelling our another $450 for 30 more months. I realized I barely use it and would rather pay straight up for the tiny amount of data I use.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of us would prefer to use a "Pay-as-you-use" plan. I signed up for Lycamobile and could never get it to work (others have been successful). I got TruPhone and it works great. Rates are 9-cents/MB, so that's pretty reasonable.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Truphone really is your best option right now

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
Most of us would prefer to use a "Pay-as-you-use" plan. I signed up for Lycamobile and could never get it to work (others have been successful). I got TruPhone and it works great. Rates are 9-cents/MB, so that's pretty reasonable.
I also got the truphone SIM and I agree it is hands down the best option for pay as you go. I even left the google earth maps enabled and I think I have spent $3 in two months.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BrentCPA
I also got the truphone SIM and I agree it is hands down the best option for pay as you go. I even left the google earth maps enabled and I think I have spent $3 in two months.
My data plan recently expired and I have Verizon phones. I'd like to keep Google Maps, Online Destinations working, but don't care about wireless hotspots, gas prices and most other Internet features. I have a couple of questions for you:

Can I turn off features that I don't need (like wireless hotspots)?

How much data will I use using Google Maps/Online Destinations? (I know it depends on how much I leave it on, but if it is $3 per month even, I'm ok with that.)

If I purchase a TruPhone SIM/plan, all I do is sign up, get the SIM and replace the T-Mobile SIM that came with the car?

Lastly, can I "load-as-you-go"? In other words, can I load my plan with say $10 each month and my SIM stops working after that?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-15-2014, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by kaorisdad
My data plan recently expired and I have Verizon phones. I'd like to keep Google Maps, Online Destinations working, but don't care about wireless hotspots, gas prices and most other Internet features. I have a couple of questions for you:

Can I turn off features that I don't need (like wireless hotspots)?

How much data will I use using Google Maps/Online Destinations? (I know it depends on how much I leave it on, but if it is $3 per month even, I'm ok with that.)

If I purchase a TruPhone SIM/plan, all I do is sign up, get the SIM and replace the T-Mobile SIM that came with the car?

Lastly, can I "load-as-you-go"? In other words, can I load my plan with say $10 each month and my SIM stops working after that?

Thanks in advance!
It's all or nothing for Audi Connect features - you can't pick and choose.
If you often go outside of about a 20 mile radius, Google Earth will keep refreshing the cache. Other than consistent internet hotspot use, it can be the highest data hog feature of Audi Connect. Online destinations and the other options like weather, etc. use very little data.

Others can address your TruPhone questions.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For the past six months I was using the T-Mobile data plan. It was $10 a month for 1GB of data for six months then it goes up to $20 month starting in January 2015. In normal usage with everything enabled and no wifi hotspot usage I was hard pressed to go over the 1GB limit. Now AT&T has a $10 month charge to add on if you have a shared data plan. It advertises for the new A3 and Q7 models but I see no reason it wouldnt work in my 2014. Will be going in today to find out. I have a 15GB family plan so this would fit real nice if it works! Will report back soon.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

For anyone considering using an AT&T SIM, remember that you will only get 2G _and_ AT&T is gradually sunsetting 2G capability (see Customer migration 'going fine' as AT&T prepares for 2G network shutdown by year-end 2016 - FierceWireless.

Quick Reply: Interest in cheaper alternative to Audi Connect?