Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Interest in cheaper alternative to Audi Connect?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Interest in cheaper alternative to Audi Connect?

I work in mobile telecom and am making progress on a "prepaid" solution to Audi Connect. There are a couple of options I am exploring, but I think I can come up with the following options:
$5 / month - Google Search, Gas Prices, News
$10 - $15 / Month - The above plus Google Earth

Wireless hotspot will not be an option to use consistently. Basically, I have analyzed how much data my car consumes using the various options and am working with some of my contacts in the industry to set up some options for plans that will be on the T-Mobile network.

I should have my first test SIM card for myself in a few weeks, and then I'll update if it seems that there is interest among the community in an option like this. I'd like to have this live by the first of the year. Much can still go wrong and it could fall on its face, but I am currently fairly optimistic that I can make this work. The $30/ month is too much and has caused me to search for an innovative solution.

Let me know your thoughts, and don't get too excited yet. A lot of work left to do before this is a real offering.

Last edited by sgroer; 10-27-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Options are always good. I would be concerned about any potential legal issues, assurance of availability of the system, billing details, what happens if cap is exceeded.

If your plan is to go through T-Mobile with this (looks like that from your description), then I would think the Audi Connect folks wouldn't be very happy with T-Mob for letting it happen.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
I work in mobile telecom and am making progress on a "prepaid" solution to Audi Connect. There are a couple of options I am exploring, but I think I can come up with the following options:
$5 / month - Google Search, Gas Prices, News (10MB / Month)
$10 - $15 / Month - The above plus Google Earth (50 MB / Month)
Good for you for exploring this option as it is entirely overpriced right now. However, I wouldn't even be interested in this option as I have a full fledged data plan on my mobile phone already. The system needs to be able to connect to my phone and use it's data connection. That way, it's seamless (my phone is already connected via bluetooth) and saves me money.

I get so irked at the technology companies looking to nickel and dime everyone to death. Audi puts in great tech, but it's so pricey I don't use most of it. Live traffic is a good example. I have to pay Sirius $3.99/mo for traffic or more if I don't have a radio plan? Don't they know that there is already FREE traffic available via FM radio? Why not build that into the car?? Oh yeah, that's because Audi gets a kickback from Sirius for every radio they install. Screw what's good for the customer.....
Old 10-27-2011, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

All valid concerns. I am taking my time, exploring the options and figuring out if there is a clean way to do this.

Just trying to get a feel for the interest - the Audi standard plan is WAY overpriced and I have found several unique alternatives that are fairly straightforward and totally legal. These are T-Mobile supported plans, they just aren't marketed or available to the masses - really designed for other uses but adapt well to Audi Connect.

If I make it far enough, I'll be looking for 5 or so beta testers in a couple of months.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My plan renews from trail the first week in February and I plan on signing up for month to month. As long as I could test while having a valid standard plan from T-Mobile I'd take on the beta.

Would your plan also support downloading from online destinations? That's kind of handy.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

All valid concerns. I am taking my time, exploring the options and figuring out if there is a clean way to do this.

Just trying to get a feel for the interest - the Audi standard plan is WAY overpriced and I have found several unique alternatives that are fairly straightforward and totally legal. These are T-Mobile supported plans, they just aren't marketed or available to the masses - really designed for other uses but adapt well to Audi Connect.

If I make it far enough, I'll be looking for 5 or so beta testers in a couple of months.
Thanks for looking into this. I was actually thinking about this same issue last night as I was driving home. Basically trying to figure out if there are any data only options available on any GSM carriers.
A pay as you go data plan would be perfect.

Yesterday I tested the AT&T sim from my work BlackBerry and it worked fine with all the MMI features at 2G speeds, so I have a backup solution once my trial expires.
Anyway if you need someone else to test for you count me in.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll beta test too!

Can you look into the actual wireless hardware in the A6 too? I would love to enable tethering to use my existing wireless data plan. Maybe I can replace the T-mobile 3G radio with another option.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It works!!!!

I now have my Audi Connect running through a 3G prepaid data plan. Still working on the logistics with the relevant parties, but this may very well become a reality.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It works!!!!

I now have my Audi Connect running through a 3G prepaid data plan. Still working on the logistics with the relevant parties, but this may very well become a reality.
Great job, please post how we can sign up.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by audifiend
Great job, please post how we can sign up.
Will do, in due time... Still a few weeks away from a beta I suspect.

Quick Reply: Interest in cheaper alternative to Audi Connect?