Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

My Audi Real issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It seems when you unlock the car or open the door, the system begins to boot up. But if you do not start the car for a period of maybe 60 seconds or so, then it seems to shut down again and go back to sleep.

For example, car has been left locked in my garage for days. I unlock, get in, start the car straight away, and put it in reverse, the back up camera comes on immediately, jukebox starts playing in a few more seconds, and as I drive off, the navigation map comes on.

But if I unlock it and get in, but do not start the car straight away, sometimes it takes a while for the back up camera to come on.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
If you look at the "Short Term" computer it will reset every trip even if you turn the car off for a short period. I do not know what this period is but I didn't think that it was as long as an hour. This unknown period maybe the same duration as the MMI reboot period?
I have noticed this sleep mode pertaining to numerous aspects but I have no evidence to substantiate that there are more than 3 modes for all of these features.
The equivalents are:
Off
Sleep
On.

Also, does it make a difference if you lock the car or leave it unlocked for the duration of this sleep mode?
Originally Posted by newmoon
It seems when you unlock the car or open the door, the system begins to boot up. But if you do not start the car for a period of maybe 60 seconds or so, then it seems to shut down again and go back to sleep.

For example, car has been left locked in my garage for days. I unlock, get in, start the car straight away, and put it in reverse, the back up camera comes on immediately, jukebox starts playing in a few more seconds, and as I drive off, the navigation map comes on.

But if I unlock it and get in, but do not start the car straight away, sometimes it takes a while for the back up camera to come on.
It seems the trip computer gets reset somewhere between 30 minutes and an hour. I've noticed this on road trips that when I stop for lunch which is usually somewhere around 30 minutes, the trip computer doesn't reset. I've even gotten the impression that it could take over an hour for it to reset.

The MMI seems to have multiple ready states. For example if you just briefly turn the car off, somewhere in the 0-15 minute range, it keeps the data connection and the entire MMI ready. When I get back in the car I still have Google Earth Maps up, the 3G connection is still active and my phone starts syncing contacts after 1-2 seconds. If the car is off for longer it shuts down the data connection, Bluetooth module and maybe some other modules. I guess you could call this a partial sleep state. In those cases when I turn on the car, I'm immediately back in the module I was last, typically the Map view, but it takes a few seconds for the data connection to come back and the phone to connect. When the car is off for a long period like overnight, it starts a full boot the moment I open the trunk or a door. Depending on how soon after that I start the engine, the MMI is fully ready or it's still in its final boot stages, but it never takes too long for it to be fully ready. Maybe 30 seconds max.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
If you look at the "Short Term" computer it will reset every trip even if you turn the car off for a short period. I do not know what this period is but I didn't think that it was as long as an hour.
Actually, that's not correct. According to the manual, the "Short term" trip computer will maintain it's settings for two hours and I've definitely confirmed this. I believe my MMI does a fast turn on around the same time. I seem to remember starting the car after going to a movie and it didn't go through the long boot. I'll have to remember to check this. I don't think the car locking has any effect on this.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Simcox
Gareth

have you tried entering the destination in without using Audi Connect? I only have the basic RMC system and as a general rule (95%+ of the time) it is spot on with the postcode. Also once I had activated the option to give a choice of routes it became more usable as i was able to get it to ignore the daft routes that were being proposed as the quickest (might be quicker in theory but double the miles!)

The issue with Google overlay is probably down to the poor quality of the UK's 3G network, signal strength and connection speed are not linked, and also some have commented that the 3G modem Audi uses is not that fast (perhaps trying to favour quality over speed?) Not much help to you now but on the recently announced facelift the A6 is moving to an LTE/4G connection
John, I don't know if you need to do London much, but if its in a postcode area of one letter followed by a number, (i.e inner london) 95% of the time it will allow no more entries after two characters, making it utterly useless. I therefore have to use the 'advanced' feature set of this upgrade that cost as much as a high powered computer for a poxy sat nav just to get it to recognise one of the busiest cities in the world. Great stuff.

I don't buy the connection issue for google either. Why would it work perfectly from my house one day, then the next day from my house its all blurry? I thought this thing was supposed to cache this data anyhow, surely the road leading from my house which I use every single day would therefore not be blurry?

I will get in touch with the dealer next week, I just know how this is though because its always the same way, its a non IT guy taking a problem, proprietary computer system to another non IT guy. He will just turn it off and on again, which is what I can do without driving 70 miles to the dealership.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by garethsnaim
John, I don't know if you need to do London much, but if its in a postcode area of one letter followed by a number, (i.e inner london) 95% of the time it will allow no more entries after two characters, making it utterly useless. I therefore have to use the 'advanced' feature set of this upgrade that cost as much as a high powered computer for a poxy sat nav just to get it to recognise one of the busiest cities in the world. Great stuff.

I don't buy the connection issue for google either. Why would it work perfectly from my house one day, then the next day from my house its all blurry? I thought this thing was supposed to cache this data anyhow, surely the road leading from my house which I use every single day would therefore not be blurry?

I will get in touch with the dealer next week, I just know how this is though because its always the same way, its a non IT guy taking a problem, proprietary computer system to another non IT guy. He will just turn it off and on again, which is what I can do without driving 70 miles to the dealership.
You definitely have data connection problems. The sat images are cached for about a 20 miles radius for a certain zoom level. If your zoom level constantly changes if you have autozoom turned on, then it has to redownload the images for the new zoom level. Same if you drive outside the cached 20 miles radius it will download new images and overwrite the cached images. Blurry sat images are a dead giveaway that your data connection sucks. That would also explain your miserable Audi Connect experience. BTW, I'm a computer engineer. Try pulling your SIM card for a few seconds and putting it back in. The modem can get its signal stuck to a certain cell and then the cells fail to hand you off to the next cell as you drive. Pulling the SIM and putting it back in will do a soft reset. Worst case you have to call your carrier and have them release your signal, which is basically a soft reset of your connection on their end. Next step would be a hard reset of the modem. Your dealer can help you with that. If that still doesn't help, then your modem is most likely faulty and needs to be replaced. It happens.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-16-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by garethsnaim

I do London a lot as I live in Surrey and work in Chiswick. As I said with the SD based navigation I have no problems. After entering the first two Alpha characters of the postcode, press the BR soft button to enter the numeric part once that is done press the same button to go back to Alpha mode and complete the process. Often the postcode I want has appeared on the list on the right side of the screen so I just go to the se;ect from list option and select it, hit start navigation. There is no need to enter coordinates or anything else . May get the option to enter house number if the code covers a number of properties with numbers not names. I think a trip to the dealer sounds like a good idea so they can see the issue for themselves. But as I said I do not have Audi Connect and accept it may be different when using that system
Old 10-17-2014, 04:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK, so I thought bugger it last night and factory restored the lot. Its now 10 times faster and all the blur is gone.

Audi defo have an issue with its system, but I have a solution, although its a disappointing one, because all my in car saved destinations and contacts are now wiped.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Glad to hear that you have resolved most of the issues now. Would like to know what you have to say in another six months.