Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Opticoat Pro Plus install pix on '16 A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulamau
And the Opticoat pro plus was $395 with $302 I believe it was to install just the Opticoat pro plus itself on the car exterior.

Have you checked the price to do the job again Snagitseven in your area after three years since the first time you did it and with using the pro plus??
Now that the bodywork and painting is done from my right side guard rail side swipe, I'm bringing my car in next week for paint prep, replacement of Xpel Ultimate film for 3/4 of the front including the rocker panel, front right fender, right side bumper, A pillar and full hood (the most expensive piece). Also the Opti-Coat Pro on same areas plus full left side doors, rear quarter panel and whole car Opti-Coat Plus layer. Also, a full pro detail in and out, part of which they include anyway with film or paint protection install.

My insurance is paying $1825 for the whole job from my detailer's work order. I'm probably coming out pretty good when you consider I never had the Plus layer to begin with and the included inside detail.

When I'm there, I'll find out what they normally charge now for just the Opti-Coat Pro with Plus for a whole car including prep. I do know they charge $400 for a complete standalone detail on the outside - not sure what they would charge for the inside.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
That is expensive if the work was paint prep and the Opti-Coat. My Opti-Coat Pro including full prep and labor was $350 full car and wheels all in. I would imagine the extra Plus coat would be about an extra $150-175 max with my installer.

Not everyone is willing to do their own prep and paint protection application but for those of us who want to leave it to the pros, $1500 is still way up there.
Yea, $350 seems reasonable to me for full prep and one coat. If I was getting it done at a dealer, that is what I would expect to pay knowing what is involved. I am not familiar with the plus coat and what is involved, but assuming it is like applying the first coat, 150-175 seems a little steep comparatively. Doing a good full prep takes more time than coating application.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Yea, $350 seems reasonable to me for full prep and one coat. If I was getting it done at a dealer, that is what I would expect to pay knowing what is involved. I am not familiar with the plus coat and what is involved, but assuming it is like applying the first coat, 150-175 seems a little steep comparatively. Doing a good full prep takes more time than coating application.
I was guessing there would be some materials cost for the Plus coating along with the labor. Tomorrow I'll ask what my detailer is charging these days when I bring my car in for my post accident restoration.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So after having the full body wrap of Xpel Ultimate and Opti Coat pro plus exterior done on my 2016, I did notice a much more glossy look on my car. I was able to fully enjoy driving the car today. However, in my area, we had a freak thunder storm. The storm not only brought pounding rain, but marble size and american quarter size hail with it. Both my car and my wife's Mercedes were outside exposed to mother nature PMSing... I ran out to my wife's car and put it in the garage since she only has a ceramic coating on her car and I was worry about the possibility of dents and or scratches from the storm. When I returned for my car, the storm stopped and I was happy the Xpel did it's job and protected my car from the ice. I noticed my neighbor's nissan and dodge ram pickup had some marks on his car. As I was about to enter my house, the same neighbor was yelling all kinds of curse words since he had some dings and scratches from the ice. I went back to inspect both of our cars and they remained scratch free. I don't know how my wife's SUV survived without any marks, but I was certainly happy to see nothing after drying off both cars!

I will have to examine more closely in daylight tomorrow...

So here is one more reason to invest in a product that will protect your car.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I would guess that hail stones big enough to dent the sheet metal would not be protected by even Xpel Ultimate. The film is just not thick enough to cushion a large, hard piece of ice. I suspect your neighbor's car has some pretty thin sheet metal.

BTW, many years ago in Denver, Colorado, we had a freak hailstorm with very high winds. I watched out the window at work as the baseball-sized hail horizontally went about pummeling all the cars in the employee parking lot. When I went downstairs to see what it had wrought, my Ford SHO looked like it had been in a war. Big, fist-sized dents over the entire body, rear window blown out with small glass pieces all over the interior, side mirrors destroyed and hanging down by their wires. My car didn't even get the worst of many other cars in the lot. Cost to repair back in 1990 was $11K or about $20K in today's dollars. Despite the clean-up and repairs, bits of glass continued to fall out of the dash vents for months until I finally traded the SHO. (Fortunately, this was before CarFax existed).
Old 08-04-2015, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I would guess that hail stones big enough to dent the sheet metal would not be protected by even Xpel Ultimate. The film is just not thick enough to cushion a large, hard piece of ice. I suspect your neighbor's car has some pretty thin sheet metal.
It could have something to do with Audi's use of aluminum panels.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
It could have something to do with Audi's use of aluminum panels.
I was thinking the same thing after seeing the Ford truck thin. About their aluminum bed vs the pervious year's steel bed. Amazing how resistant to damage the aluminum is.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe so, but don't brush a guard rail.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I really like the S-Line badge on the wheel, wish it was an option here in the states. Did you install the titanium sports pedals as well or did it come stock with them?
Old 08-05-2015, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Car_Enthusiast85
I really like the S-Line badge on the wheel, wish it was an option here in the states. Did you install the titanium sports pedals as well or did it come stock with them?
Not sure who you were talking to. But I did not get the S-Line Badge. I also installed Aluminum sports pedals. I am extremely happy with them. I though they would be difficult to keep clean, but after 3 months they have zero dirt collected between the rubber and metal spaces. Well worth the money. I thought about the S-Line badge, but maybe next year I will change my steering wheel to the RS flat bottom wheel.

Quick Reply: Opticoat Pro Plus install pix on '16 A6