Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Opticoat Pro Plus install pix on '16 A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Opticoat Pro Plus install pix on '16 A6

For those who might be interested here is a collection of pix from my recent trip down from my northern Arizona home to Scottsdale where I received from Germany my new 2016 A6 3.0T Prestige, Sports 20" and Drivers assistance packages in mid June at my local Audi North Scottsdale dealer.

I had already wrapped the full front end and lower rocker side sills and bottom of each rear bumper with Xpel Ulitmate wrap as was shown in a set of other pix here last month.

I also had the same outfit Protective Film Solutions who did the Xpel do the Suntek CXP tint job as well.

This past week a bit over a month later I added Opticoat Pro Plus coating to the full body including over the top of the Xpel Ultimate wrap and coating all wheels including the inner barrels with Opticoat Pro Plus to minimize scratches somewhat, and most importantly, to help keep brake dust from sticking too readily to the already glossy bi-color 5 star design 20" wheels that I ticked off for my car when ordering the stuff I wanted on it.

The folks at Rolling Arts Motorsports were chosen to do the Opticoat Pro Plus install and did an outstanding job from all appearances and were a very good group of guys to work with. Mike, Jay and Jackie all were thoughtful and helpful and have a very nice luxury car concierge and storage service as well as being pro detailers.

Anyway, they did a 5 hour prep job including full paint correction, as needed, on my still new car with the beginning of that prep work showing in the first few photos, then a set of shots back home around Sedona this morning to get a feel for the final results ... that is, as little as you can tell from 2D color photos anyway.

Up close in 3D the finish is emaculate, deeply reflective and smoother than a babies butt!

Pre Opticoat prep work with full clay bar and paint correction as needed.

After the first coat of Optiocoat Pro which is the base coat for protection and had to cure overnight

After full Opticoat Pro Plus coating of body and full wheel faces and barrels. The 'Plus' second coating layer was applied the next morning after the first Opticoat Pro layer had cured, with the Plus layer giving the extra sheen and smooth layer top coat

A good look at Suntek CXP 35 tint on front door windows and CXP 18 on rear door and for rear window

A lookout view over Sedona from Airport Mesa

The center console and piano black trim was also Opticoated as well as all glossy dark walnut wood trim pieces in the interior

Last edited by Hulamau; 07-24-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet ride! just a question is that the steering wheel when you opt not to get the cold weather package?
Old 07-26-2015, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by luckydragon
sweet ride! just a question is that the steering wheel when you opt not to get the cold weather package?
I have the cold weather package and have the same steering wheel that is in the picture. I believe it is the steering wheel that comes when you opt for the S Line package

Last edited by KevinGary; 07-26-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Correct. The 3 spoke wheel with shift paddles has always been a part of the Sport Package portion.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by luckydragon
The three spoke steering wheel is standard on all 2016's.

In the early models, only the four spoke steering wheel was heated. If you ordered both the sport suspension and the cold weather package, you got the non-sport wheel.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Who thinks these things up?
Old 07-26-2015, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Who thinks these things up?
Perhaps the Audi Lenkrad Führer?
Old 07-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another question what's the button next to the volume on the steering wheel? Has a * symbol
Old 07-27-2015, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Luckydragon, you've got an eagle eye spotting the * button on the steering wheel! That is a self-assignable option button you can make that whatever frequently used function you wish ... Ha! Forgot what I assigned mine to at the moment, but it's a handy idea nonetheless.

As for the steering wheel itself, this comes with the S-Line Sports Package and I I have the Prestige trim plus 20" wheel and Drivers Assistance and since the prestige already comes with the heated front seats and the warm weather package is standard for Prestige trim in our zone of Arizona with the very handy ventilated air conditioned seats for our far longer hot season, I didn't bother with the cold weather pack which would have only added headed rear seats when only once in a blue moon there will ever be back seat riders with just me and my wife and occasional family who visit mostly in the warm months anyway.

Plus I did not really need a heated steering wheel too, as even though our winters do get cold here for sure, gloves work pretty good for that while the car warms up and I've almost always got those on when going outrun the morning to scrap the ice off the windshield anyway.

One other thing, this is the S-line sports steering wheel but it is the Euro spec model. My car came off the boat with the stock US plain glossy piano black emblem mounted in the middle lower of the three spokes (which also is very nice looking too) but without the S-Line badging as you see in these shots of my ride.

So I bought the euro emblem for the 2016 A6 in Brussels in May when I was over there and while my car was just starting the boat ride from Emden Germany to San Diego port, and had my Audi North Scottsdale dealer swap thus S-Line badged emblem out with the existing plain black one that comes with all the U.S. Version A6s. You can buy the same part I later learned for Audi USA parts but it was fun going to the Audi dealers in Amsterdam and Brussels looking to find the little emblem and check out all the many nice models we never see over here.

I got friendly with two of the guys there in Amsterdam and got to drive an A6 Avant diesel and the new diesel TT with the digital display both of which were a lot of fun. The new TT has noticeably more deft and responsive handling and steering than the last gen TT.

I should post a pic thread of some of those cool cars over there in the showrooms as well as the full prices for each one I also took pics of ... You would not believe the higher prices they pay for our cars over there!!

For example, a Sepang blue 2015 RS4 Avant cost €152,200.00!!! That Euro/dollar exchange then was 1.11$ to 1€ so you can do the math to see the US MSRP would be even higher still.

Yes, it was loaded but here with everything it had in it , the same car would never exceed $87,000 max here, and that high of a price would likely only be hit with Audi Exclusive interior options as well which this one did not have. Incredible!! No wonder they get so many more options to choose from, and often more standard bling like the little S-Line badge.

Anyway, I digress.

The only other added-on item in addition to the XPEL Ultimate frontal wrap and Opitcoat Pro Plus treatment was the metal pedal covers which I'm glad I did and had the dealer install those during dealer prep of the car too.

Glad you enjoyed the pix , was a perfect Sedona morning the day after I returned from Scottsdale with the Opticoat onboard so was a good time to grab a few shots.

Last edited by Hulamau; 07-27-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Note that the * button on the wheel is replaced with the heated steering wheel button with the cold weather package.

Quick Reply: Opticoat Pro Plus install pix on '16 A6