Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Poor interior quality: lots of little rattles, squeaks, ticks

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 02:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Almost for me. Switched them out on day 2 for Bridgestone RE970AS. At 34K miles now and still have a few months of tread to go. Much quieter than the Pirellis and only now starting to get a bit noisy.
Originally Posted by Rjim
I switched from OEM Conti's to Michelin premier A/S at 10,000 miles. The Michelins are better in snow but the noise and ride quality are the same. From what I've read on this site, I would have ditched the Pirellis on day one.
This is almost always a result of the tires. Especially Pirellis.
OK, but then why does the Tire Rack website survey list the P7s as one of the consumer rated quietest, with 1.9 million miles of wear reported
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS
Old 05-03-2015, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ-A6
OK, but then why does the Tire Rack website survey list the P7s as one of the consumer rated quietest, with 1.9 million miles of wear reported
Consumers are idiots. They can't be trusted in such matters.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Consumers are idiots. They can't be trusted in such matters.
Hey, watch it. I'm a consumer.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quite frankly, because some folks here have a complex about Pirelli tires and seem to think they are all the same.

Honestly, I used to be one of those - but then I tried the Pirelli all season and they are an excellent tire.

The lesson some people need to learn is - you can't trash every tire a manufacturer makes because perhaps you have tires in a high performance category that you did not like. Every tire a manufacturer makes has different characteristics.

and the P7 is the best in its class. In fact, I just bought a set of them for my wife's vehicle last week (and I used to dislike Pirellis)
Old 05-03-2015, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've said it before and I'll say it again - after miserable experiences with three different Pirelli models over the years, I won't touch the brand with a ten foot pole - my philosophy is three strikes and you're out.. Maybe they've managed to come up with one acceptable tire but there's too many other good alternatives than to give them another chance at my business.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again - after miserable experiences with three different Pirelli models over the years, I won't touch the brand with a ten xfoot pole - my philosophy is three strikes and you're out.. Maybe they've managed to come up with one acceptable tire but there's too many other good alternatives than to give them another chance at my business.
The dilemma is that at least in my state many of the Audi A6 models come OEM with Pirelli's, so it would be an immediate expense after a pricey purchase/lease to replace them.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The dilemma is that at least in my state many of the Audi A6 models come OEM with Pirelli's, so it would be an immediate expense after a pricey purchase/lease to replace them.
I took off my Pirellis after a couple of days after delivery and sold them on Craig'sList to a Corvette owner for $600 which offset a good chunk of the cost of my RE970AS. A good investment and didn't have to suffer with the expected 22-25K mile tread life of the P-Zeros.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again - after miserable experiences with three different Pirelli models over the years, I won't touch the brand with a ten foot pole - my philosophy is three strikes and you're out.. Maybe they've managed to come up with one acceptable tire but there's too many other good alternatives than to give them another chance at my business.
Actually they have come up with several excellent tires. Not only is the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus at the top of the Tirerack charts but so is the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3. While I know your mind is closed and you won't buy another Pirelli tire, at the very least you should stop bashing them at every opportunity when the facts show something different. You should at least recognize the differences do exist between every model of tire they and other manufacturers make (and i used to dislike Pirelli's a whole lot too but have become enlightened)
Old 05-04-2015, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I took off my Pirellis after a couple of days after delivery and sold them on Craig'sList to a Corvette owner for $600 which offset a good chunk of the cost of my RE970AS. A good investment and didn't have to suffer with the expected 22-25K mile tread life of the P-Zeros.
you do realize that you are comparing the treadlife of a Max Performance tire in the OEM Pirelli P-Zeros to that of a tire in a different category (the RE970AS).

Treadlife decreases based on the higher performance aspects of a tire. If you look at the Max Performance category, nearly all the tires (including the Bridgestone entry) do not have any treadlife warranty. Only Michelin with the top tire in the category warrants their max performance tire to 30K miles.

The RE970AS is in the UHP All-Season category and has a 40K expected life based on the warranty and is actually rated in the middle of the pack (12 out of 25 on TireRack)

For comparison sake, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus is rated at the top of the Grand touring category and has a 70K mile treadlife based on the warranty

I agree with your premise of not liking the OEM Pirellis because of the 20-25K treadlife - but that would have been the case no matter what other Max performance tire was on the car. Which is why it was nice to see (albeit too late for me) that Audi started offering an all season option in later years
Old 05-04-2015, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The reality is that a large percentage of sport package A6s today are still coming equipped with Pirelli P-Zero tires which, if one wades through the many relevant posts in AW, a vast majority have agreed here they are representative of the good ol' days of Pirelli. Noisy, short tread life and at least for some, hard to keep balanced as they wear.

So, I guess I will choose to remain unenlightened and justified in expressing my opinion with the brand so long as Audi continues to put the P-Zeros on many of their new cars. Maybe if they chose a better Pirelli...

Quick Reply: Poor interior quality: lots of little rattles, squeaks, ticks