Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Poor interior quality: lots of little rattles, squeaks, ticks

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes - for those A6's which come with with Pirelli P-Zero tires, they will be noisier, and last less than an all season tire. BECAUSE they are Max performance summer tires, not because they are Pirelli.

Since you missed it or ignored it, treadlife decreases based on the higher performance aspects of a tire. If you look at the Max Performance category, nearly all the tires (including the Bridgestone entry) do not have any treadlife warranty. Only Michelin with the top tire in the category warrants their max performance tire to 30K miles.

Max performance tires by their nature do not last long and are noisy.

But hey, since all those A6s come with Pirelli P-Zero tires and it fits your narrative of hating Pirelli, I am sure you will continue to opine accordingly ignoring these factors.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The reality is that a large percentage of sport package A6s today are still coming equipped with Pirelli P-Zero tires which, if one wades through the many relevant posts in AW, a vast majority have agreed here they are representative of the good ol' days of Pirelli. Noisy, short tread life and at least for some, hard to keep balanced as they wear.

So, I guess I will choose to remain unenlightened and justified in expressing my opinion with the brand so long as Audi continues to put the P-Zeros on many of their new cars. Maybe if they chose a better Pirelli...

Let me also jump on the "Pirelli sucks" bandwagon. I had sidewall failure on the p-zero's I had at the time resulting in replacement on 5 occasions. I do remember the price -- $180 each. It was a number of years ago and the reason I went through so many of them was because I had replacement guarantee from America's Tire. They were the only ones that would write a guarantee on these low profile tires and I couldn't switch without buying new tires which I had no desire to do.

The tires would always fail at low speed around town, like when making a left/right turn and I was a starving student who didn't mind getting them replaced for $25 with a new guarantee on the new tire.

I'm sure their new stuff is better than what I experienced, but, I'll never find out.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Man oh man...I read over this thread about the rattles and pops....LOL! I guess I know a big secret. I have an A3. Not a single rattle or pop. It's not Audi...it's the chemicals your using to clean the windows and car with. That's where most the rattles and pops are coming from.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

The Pirellis that were OEM on my car sucked. The Michelin Pilot Super Sports were a huge improvement.

PIRELLI SUCKS. PIRELLI SUCKS. PIRELLI SUCKS. PIRELLI SUCKS. PIRELLI SUCKS. PIRELLI SUCKS.
PIRELLI SUCKS. PIRELLI SUCKS. PIRELLI SUCKS. PIRELLI SUCKS. PIRELLI SUCKS. PIRELLI SUCKS.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, there you go. Two more Pirelli "advocates" to add to the list. Lol.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AZ-A6
OK, but then why does the Tire Rack website survey list the P7s as one of the consumer rated quietest, with 1.9 million miles of wear reported
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS
I apologize, I shared incorrect info above. Today I looked at the tires on my 2016 A6 Prestige and they are only P7 All Seasons, not the All Season Plus model tires. So the OEM P7s are only ranked #23 on the referenced Tirerack survey versus the P7 All Season Plus which are ranked #1. Must have been a cost savings decision by Audi to use the noisier, lower treadwear P7s, and they come with a 0 miles treadlife warranty from Pirelli

Last edited by AZ-A6; 05-06-2015 at 03:36 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Well, there you go. Two more Pirelli "advocates" to add to the list. Lol.
Consider the source, LOL

FWIW I have never said the OEM Max Performance Pirelli P-Zero's were good tires. On the contrary, I said they like nearly every Max performance summer tire will wear more quickly and be noisier than all seasons. Hell, I had my dealer replace them with Pirelli all seasons for me before I took delivery as part of my deal. My point has been and continues to be it is just plain stupid to take ones experience with one model tire (a summer max performance one at that) and decide everything the company makes sucks. Sorry it does not work that way. But if some want to be close minded to believe it, so be it
Old 05-06-2015, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I should add another POV - I have previously expounded on the harsh ride of the 20/PZero/Sport combination and I am anxious to replace the PZeros but since I will be paying for them for 5 years, I didn't want to replace them until I wore them out. It was stated that 25K miles was a good innings for the RZeros so I kept on going with them until now I am over 26K miles and I have lots of tread left - approx. 6/32. I will probably get 35K out of them and I am running them at 35psi.
I am looking at buying some 18's with Conti's OEM's but my PZeros won't wear out.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by smooth 1
Man oh man...I read over this thread about the rattles and pops....LOL! I guess I know a big secret. I have an A3. Not a single rattle or pop. It's not Audi...it's the chemicals your using to clean the windows and car with. That's where most the rattles and pops are coming from.
Now, that's a misleading piece of info. A3 rattles worst -mine has no windows at all so no chemicals used! Joking aside, until I used stainless hardware to bolt the rear brake plastic shields-- those were unbearable and I am still scratching my head how is it possible to have it leave the factory with those installed the way they were!. A6 is way nicer ride, even on 20" wheels and sport suspension. The main point is some of the things that inevitably will start to rattle (I envy the guys that report otherwise) do not belong on a vehicle with almost six figures sticker (and in case of the S7 and RS7 --six figures).
Old 05-06-2015, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I had a 2006 A4, a 2008 A4, a 2010 A6 and now a 2013 A6. All had Conti’s except for the 2008 that had Pirelli’s (I think they were P7’s). In my experience, the Pirelli’s gave a very smooth ride and were quieter than the Conti’s. Coming from a 2006 A4 with Conti’s to the 2008 A4 (the same B7 platform) I was very surprised and pleased with the Pirelli’s. I traded that car in on the 2010 A6 at 23,000 miles and they still seemed to have a lot of tread life in them. Of course, I am a very sedate driver (less kind words come to mind).

Quick Reply: Poor interior quality: lots of little rattles, squeaks, ticks