Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Rear facing child seat doesnt fit in A6?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear facing child seat doesnt fit in A6?!

Expecting twins in a couple of weeks and figured I'd try the car seats in the A6. Oh boy was that a **** show. First of all, whoever came up with the LATCH system, seriously what the hell does it do better? Once strapped in I can easily move the seat in every direction, doesn't seem secure at all. But the biggest surprise came when I moved the front seat all the way forward, strapped the base in, put in the child seat and tried to put the front passenger seat back.. Oops no more space. And that's still about a foot short of how my drivers seat is positioned. Who the hell designs those seats that even in a mid-size saloon like the A6 it DOESNT fit??!

The child seat in question is the maxi cosi mico AP. We didn't buy them but got them for our baby shower, so weren't able to try them before we got them but still doesn't seem like other seats would be much smaller. Either the A6 has a retarted design for child seats or everyone with twins just buys minivans automatically?!?

Ps: read on the forums here that people are comfortably fitting rear facing child seats (and the maxi cosi we have is supposedly one of the smaller ones), but who are those people? Midgets? Lol. Also, I'm not tall at all, 5'9. In my home country of Netherlands I would be one of the shorter people..

Last edited by Tinbad; 09-25-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6 foot tall here and used a Recaro Performance Ride, both front and rear facing no problem.

And LATCH is great! Easy to move between two cars. Heck even works here in Japan!!
Old 09-25-2015, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Name:  DSC_5269_zps675dfb7e.jpg
Views: 32906
Size:  241.7 KB
Old 09-26-2015, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. No issue. We have a diono radian.

I usually put my knees in the seat/base and then yank up on the strap and wiggle it back and forth. You're looking for less than 1 inch of play at the belt line. You'll never get it to not move all over.

Also, if you can get it more snug without LATCH do that. In the U.S. That's permissible. Here is mine in the 2016 S6

Name:  photo936.jpg
Views: 24941
Size:  33.8 KB
Old 09-26-2015, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you got a big car seat as a baby shower gift. Take it back and get 2 that fits. Lots of options to chose from.

Have fun with twins. Make sure their first word is "Faster"
Old 09-26-2015, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We had no problems with our car seats. Brand name is Kiddy. German made and fits perfectly in All the German cars.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm going through this as well (3 week old daughter) but the issue is actually more with infant carriers than the car seats. With an infant carrier they lay flatter and they take so much room that you can only put them in the middle. Once they graduate to a full car seat it should fit fine.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just want to chime in and +1 on getting your knees in the car seat for a snug fit. Doing this is really essential. You need to put all your weight on it in any car. I have a 10 yr old, 8 year old and 2 year old. With the older kids, the latch system sucked. I about killed myself trying to release seats. However, with my little one's Evenflo brand, I can put the seat in in about a minute because of the way the newer latch trigger mechanism works.

When we had the older kids, the A6 was the standard family car, but now we mostly use the Odyssey and just went with one seat for the 2 year old. Occasionally I'll take the kids in the car, and when I do, it's easy enough to get them in.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It's not the car, it's the seat

Fact of the matter is, car seats are not universal in any way. Just like strollers come in various shapes and sizes, so do car seats. There are certain seats known to have slim profiles such as the Radian. Others like Britax are beasts and take up tons of space. Like someone else mentioned you really have to do your research and cannot assume any old seat is going to fit into any old car. That being said, the number of seats that fit rear facing and take up the least amount of space so you can fully recline your seat, literally number in the ones or twos (as in there are one or two car seats that will do that). Everything else will take some inconvenience, especially if you are tall. Like anything else when you have children, installing and removing car seats are a huge pain in the *ss. I have an S4 and basically could not fit any car seat rear facing behind my seat and could only fit one behind the passenger seat with the front passenger seat being severely limited in recline. My wife is short so having the passenger seat moved all the way up was fine but not being able to recline she did not like. That is why we rarely drove with kids in my car and put the main rear facing seat in my wife's X3. As soon as the kid got old enough we put her in a forward facing and now no problems. Many authorities say you should keep your child in a rear facing for 3 years or until they are too large for their seat but I find that notion laughable. I do not know anyone with kids, mine included who would actually sit in a rear facing seat at 2 years old let alone 3 without basically losing their mind and making the shortest trip a Friday the 13th episode of terror.

Regarding the latch though, not sure how that could be seen as difficult. You snap in the belts into the latch, it's the best thing ever. Trying using the belt and making that tight. The key to a successful latch installation is you sitting on the seat and tightening the belt as hard as you can and then going back and pushing the seat down and left to right while tightening some more. That is the way you take any remaining slack out and getting a super tight non-moveable installation.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by schalliol
I just want to chime in and +1 on getting your knees in the car seat for a snug fit. Doing this is really essential. You need to put all your weight on it in any car. I have a 10 yr old, 8 year old and 2 year old. With the older kids, the latch system sucked. I about killed myself trying to release seats. However, with my little one's Evenflo brand, I can put the seat in in about a minute because of the way the newer latch trigger mechanism works.

When we had the older kids, the A6 was the standard family car, but now we mostly use the Odyssey and just went with one seat for the 2 year old. Occasionally I'll take the kids in the car, and when I do, it's easy enough to get them in.
Schalliol: My father just traded in his 2005 Stratos Blue for a 2016 A4. That's the second time I have even seen that color.