Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Red iPod Cable Information

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Cable with iPhone 4s

Originally Posted by bclarkMN
All, Thanks for the great info on the Red Cable. I had been reading through all of the threads on the 2012 A6 before I picked up the car on Feb. 4th.

As I was going through all the buyers info with the sales rep, I noticed the blue cable in the bag. And thanks to this forum I asked the dealer to switch to the Red cable, which they did without a problem. In fact they said the system cost was the same to them, but the cost to the customer was much higher for the Red cable.

So if you are waiting for your A6. Ask your sales person to trade out for the Red cable!
By the way, car was built in 12/2011, so new software on the MMI. iPhone 4s works great with the Red cable, showing both video and album cover art.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nash503
Yes, Same exact message with Blue cable. I tried a shuffle, nano, classic, and touch.
try resetting your MMI, if that doesn't work, then take to dealer.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An Audi USA rep told me last week that an update for the rest of us is coming in the next months. Finally be able to use the red cable?! He heard an April date
Old 02-06-2012, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bclarkMN
All, Thanks for the great info on the Red Cable. I had been reading through all of the threads on the 2012 A6 before I picked up the car on Feb. 4th.

As I was going through all the buyers info with the sales rep, I noticed the blue cable in the bag. And thanks to this forum I asked the dealer to switch to the Red cable, which they did without a problem. In fact they said the system cost was the same to them, but the cost to the customer was much higher for the Red cable.

So if you are waiting for your A6. Ask your sales person to trade out for the Red cable!
Nice, that's a good dealer...will try the same at mine. Hope they're as willing as well.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stevial
try resetting your MMI, if that doesn't work, then take to dealer.
Any idea how to reset? Thanks
Old 02-06-2012, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

To bad there wasn't a way to update the software yourself....I'm not at the car right now but I recall seeing the ability to through SD or USB.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nash503
Any idea how to reset? Thanks
The reset sequence: (menu+center+upper right).

Got it from this Post
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...94&postcount=1
Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default SOFTWARE UPDATE; RED CABLE NOW WORKING

Ok, so I just got back from my dealer, and my ipod sofware is now updated. My red cable now works. Also, my car is an very early car, an 2011 model.

The attached images show the old version; HN+_DAB_K0097 (I've got an euro spec car), the new version HN+R_EU_AU_K0485_18, and a (bad) picture of the working red cable in action, and a picture of both cables.

The update came in the form of an CD, and the dealer updated it. It took a little while, a few hours.
Attached Images     
Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fvike
Ok, so I just got back from my dealer, and my ipod sofware is now updated. My red cable now works. Also, my car is an very early car, an 2011 model.

The attached images show the old version; HN+_DAB_K0097 (I've got an euro spec car), the new version HN+R_EU_AU_K0485_18, and a (bad) picture of the working red cable in action, and a picture of both cables.

The update came in the form of an CD, and the dealer updated it. It took a little while, a few hours.
That's great that they updated it for you!! You give the rest of the forum some hope!

I updated the first post with your new software version for others to compare...
Old 02-11-2012, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Some additional info on the software update; It will also update the bluetooth, so that it uses 6 digit keys to connect instead of 4. Which means you have to bond all your devices again after the update. I could'nt do it right away, I thought the thing was broken, because the car was not detectable. But I figured I give it a day, and the next day everything worked nicely.

Also, when playing video, the sound does not go over the audio system. I think I read the same on another thread too. It's a bummer.

Last edited by fvike; 02-11-2012 at 04:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Red iPod Cable Information