Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

T-Mobile upgrade going to kill my data

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDan
I have a '12 C7 with an active Audi Connect T-Mobile data plan and have received the letters from T-Mobile and AoA. Here in Southern California, T-Mobile upgraded their network on 22 July and I dropped from 3G to 2G. My dealer modified my C7 per TSB 2039515/4 yesterday and I'm now back to 3G. I can confirm that the mod also included updating the MMI to version 0814.
Ditto from Chicago area, that is the TSB, they did not ask for a letter, and I just had an old TMobile MiFi SIM in there that I occasionally buy a day or weekly pass to use (in addition to TruPhone ).

I also did pop my AT&T sim out of my phone, put it in an adapter and stuck it in and got 3G when before it was always 2G.

Took 3 hours, and I did get the 00814 MMI update.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparing...

.... the new hardware 3G performance with the old one that went away did you notice a speed difference? Also did you ask if it was possible to install 4G LTE hardware that would work on AT&T. I am also in Socal and wonder which dealer you used

Thanks uncle Dan

Originally Posted by UncleDan
I have a '12 C7 with an active Audi Connect T-Mobile data plan and have received the letters from T-Mobile and AoA. Here in Southern California, T-Mobile upgraded their network on 22 July and I dropped from 3G to 2G. My dealer modified my C7 per TSB 2039515/4 yesterday and I'm now back to 3G. I can confirm that the mod also included updating the MMI to version 0814.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone who got the 0814 MMI update notice that at the Telephone/Settings/Data Connections menu--

do you still have 2 choices there, the WiFi and the Connection Setup (the former with yes/no for wifi on, the latter with the sim setup and data counter, etc.) ?

I do not, and wonder if its just me or something I did. Because now, there doesn't appear to be a way to turn off just the wifi and leave all the other data apps on-- the wifi is always on now. Hmmm.

EDITED: 8/12/15 I found it. ON the 814 version, the WIFI OFF function appears on the WiFi screen at the top along with "Visible, Invisible, OFF".
I might be losing it but do believe that is different from the version I used to have (609 ?).

Last edited by JRomulus; 08-12-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by maherladki
.... the new hardware 3G performance with the old one that went away did you notice a speed difference? Also did you ask if it was possible to install 4G LTE hardware that would work on AT&T. I am also in Socal and wonder which dealer you used

Thanks uncle Dan
There is no upgrade path for 4G LTE for MY2012-2015. Since Audi is not known for providing hardware upgrades to older model years (unless forced to as in the T-Mobile 3G frequency change in certain areas), it's doubtful they will offer it. It's always possible someone else will but there would have to a market large enough to support the R&D and marketing.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

To answer the other question. There is a noticeable performance difference between the old and the new hardware, provided that you have excellent network coverage, because the new hardware supports the faster HSPA/HSPA+ networks, whereas the old hardware only supports the much slower UMTS network. The performance improvements are even more noticeable if you switch to AT&T as AT&T has much much better network latencies. The T-Mobile network is very sluggish. It has terrible latencies.

On a side note, HSPA+ is by many considered to be the first 4G network technology. The carriers do differentate between 3G UMTS, 3G HSPA, 4G HSPA+ and 4G LTE. In case of the MMI, though UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ are all lumped together as 3G. Smartphones on the other hand often differentiate. They display 3G for UMTS, H for HSPA, H+ for HSPA+ and L or LTE for obviously LTE. But the moral of this is that 3G is not just a single technology. There are slower and faster 3G technologies and there are also slower and faster 4G technologies.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-07-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maherladki

Thanks uncle Dan
It looks like your questions re speed and 4G LTE have been answered. I, however, have not noticed a speed improvement but I haven't used the connectivity yet in a manner where speed would be tested. As for your third question, my dealer is Keyes Audi in Van Nuys.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yep just had my upgrade done, yes is def faster (t mobile vs t mobile) I will swap over to ATT next month (since i paid a full year with T mobile)

The sound system is also slightly improved
Old 08-12-2015, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got the AT&T this week and it does appear to be smoother and a bit faster. Ran a speed test on my laptop using the WiFi and got 1 Mbps up and download. This from my driveway where I only get 2 bars, btw.
Having it on the AT&T share plan with the rest of the family is convenient and now I never have to worry about refilling an account every month or micromanaging data use.

Like some others, I did have an issue initially... worked great right after inserting it, but the store manager had an IMEI issue and it ended up in AT&T's system as a laptop wifi router, and was going to bill at $20/month. Called AT&T twice, they couldn't do it, said go back the store, although I did get a $20 credit for my troubles. I went back to the AT&T store with a printout of the 11/2014 AT&T press release announcing the $10/month "tablet" pricing for Audis and store manager entered the sim as an iphone in the system and voila, it is now $10/month. He also kept that press release, lol.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JRomulus
I went back to the AT&T store with a printout of the 11/2014 AT&T press release announcing the $10/month "tablet" pricing for Audis and store manager entered the sim as an iphone in the system and voila, it is now $10/month. He also kept that press release, lol.
Could you provide a pdf or a link to that press release?
Old 08-13-2015, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Could you provide a pdf or a link to that press release?

We’re announcing today that the cost for connecting these Audi models to a Mobile Share Value plan is the same as a tablet - an additional $10 for the access charge per month.* This gives AT&T customers the ultimate in flexibility – they can choose a stand-alone data plan or choose the Mobile Share option. - See more at: New Connected Audi Model and Mobile Share Value Pricing Coming Soon | AT&T

I was wrong, it was not November, but September. Above is the critical paragraph I read to the ATT gal on the phone and printed a copy of the article and brought it to the store.

Now that I read it, some might point out that its talking about specific model years. And also, of course, that it was released long before the recent change by Tmobile to its system, necessitating the firmware change in the pre-2015 cars. But when I emailed Audi, after asking me where I lived (Chicago), they told me to go to a dealer, get the car updated and then go directly to AT&T or Tmobile for a plan:

John said:
Yes, I used it for the first year or so and then did not renew. I also lost the SIM card for it.
Rosa B. said:
Where are you located?
John said:
Chicago
Rosa B. said:
T Mobile performed a network upgrade in your area recently and it changed the Audi Connect signal. Your vehicle would not be compatible with the new signal until you have the dealer perform an update to the hardware in the MMI. You can bring the car to any Audi dealer for this and it is free of charge to you. You can either subscribe through T Mobile or AT&T for Audi Connect service. I recommend, however, bringing the vehicle to your dealer first.

Quick Reply: T-Mobile upgrade going to kill my data