Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

T-Mobile upgrade going to kill my data

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit of a bump but today my 2013 A4 has lost its 3G signal in the SF Bay Area and has defaulted to 2G. I thought it was my service but when I swapped the cards around between my A4 and '14 A6, the 6 was consistently on 3G and the 4 on 2G.

I did some digging and found out that T-Mobile has shut down HSPA service on their AWS spectrum as of yesterday, the 26th. Hit AoA and they informed me that indeed, I qualify for a free upgrade to resolve the issue.

So while the SF Bay Area may not have been listed on the affected market, it has been in fact affected. Those of you with '12-13 models - hit your dealers up!
Old 09-27-2015, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by McFuzz
A bit of a bump but today my 2013 A4 has lost its 3G signal in the SF Bay Area and has defaulted to 2G. I thought it was my service but when I swapped the cards around between my A4 and '14 A6, the 6 was consistently on 3G and the 4 on 2G.

I did some digging and found out that T-Mobile has shut down HSPA service on their AWS spectrum as of yesterday, the 26th. Hit AoA and they informed me that indeed, I qualify for a free upgrade to resolve the issue.

So while the SF Bay Area may not have been listed on the affected market, it has been in fact affected. Those of you with '12-13 models - hit your dealers up!
Yes, it has. I got the letter from Audi on August 11 that the "upgrade" will happen on September 26. You didn't get a letter? The letter also included a sheet with the available data plans as you can now officially sign up with AT&T if you like.

Here the scanned PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_P...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by superswiss; 09-27-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, it has. I got the letter from Audi on August 11 that the "upgrade" will happen on September 26. You didn't get a letter? The letter also included a sheet with the available data plans as you can now officially sign up with AT&T if you like.

Here the scanned PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_P...ew?usp=sharing

I bought my A4 as a CPO in late August thus why I likely have not received it.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Was using t-mobile 1G plan and service drop to 2G about a month ago. Called Audi connect and requested new service and received new sim card. Popped it in and still get 2G called Audi connect and they told me to bring the vehicle in to have the module check out. Brought it in and my service advisor already knows the module need to be upgrade. Told me that I was supposed to get the mail about the upgrade but didn't. Anyway, I'm getting the car back tomorrow and will try AT&T share service since I've phone service with them. This is for 2013 Q5.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by thanhkng
Was using t-mobile 1G plan and service drop to 2G about a month ago. Called Audi connect and requested new service and received new sim card. Popped it in and still get 2G called Audi connect and they told me to bring the vehicle in to have the module check out. Brought it in and my service advisor already knows the module need to be upgrade. Told me that I was supposed to get the mail about the upgrade but didn't. Anyway, I'm getting the car back tomorrow and will try AT&T share service since I've phone service with them. This is for 2013 Q5.
Update: got the car back today after the dealer changed the module free of charge. 3G is back. Gonna go to AT&T store to get a sim and try to put it on a share plan for 10 bucks. So, it your car is still under warranty bring it in and have the dealer swap out the module for free.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

So far, the modem mod is only available in selected areas though.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
So far, the modem mod is only available in selected areas though.
SF Bay Area is included in this case; got my A4 couple weeks back and got 3G connection back on both T-Mo and AT&T!
Old 11-13-2015, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wow, glad I found this thread as there's not much other info about it anywhere! I have a 2013 A4, live in NJ, and recently noticed that I'm only getting 2G in areas where I always got 3G. Probably for about a week now. I haven't seen any mention of the east coast yet. Am I the only one so far? I live in Jackson and drive 40 miles north to Piscataway and pretty much the entire drive is 2G where it used to be entirely 3G. Probably going to call my dealer today to see if they're aware.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

If the T-Mobile 3G frequency has changed (or about to) in your area, and you were the original purchaser, you should have received two letters - one from Audi and one from T-Mobile. If not, it's possible dealers in your area will have no parts or TSB instructions yet.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Middlesex county using Truphone and I am seeing 2G since last week.

Quick Reply: T-Mobile upgrade going to kill my data