Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Valve coking and direct injection engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

This is an extremely informative thread that I have been following with great interest. Thank you GDI for presenting the facts. Even though they bum me out.

When I had my 15k servicing done my Indy mechanic recommended 5k intervals for oil changes. When I questioned them as to why they eluded to potential engine wear issues. Makes me wonder if they know more than they are divulging...

Last edited by DanfZX14; 12-04-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The knowledgeable techs know, but most are not tearing down the engines. The preferred procedure is replace the entire engine if it comes to that during the warranty period. You have a excellent tech your using to be that honest. The techs that have made you-tube videos and have tried to bring all of this out in the open have been terminated right and left. The dealers and all employee's are NOT to discuss any of this with any public. And they are not fooling around.

This guy is one of the most knowledgeable Ford master techs I have ever met, and worked for years with the engineers on issues until he started putting the video's up. He now has his own shop:

He has tons of the most informational videos I have seen.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Thread, I was asking my Indy AUDI/VW shop about this very issue about a year ago while doing complete brake job on my A6 with 40K The tech there used to work for Audi Service in Chicago. He told me there is no need to worry until I start noticing some issues like misfires or CEL. I was kind of surprised he did not mention any positive things like performance gains or anything else that could result in doing the service. Maybe his shop wasn't equipped at the time. Any way I moved on Then I saw this thread and it reminded me about the problem. My car is 2.0T so any performance gain would do. I did google search and found bunch of BMW Shops that do that with walnut blast I called one of them (most reputable as far as reviews go) he said he would love to help me but he doesn't have an Audi vacuum port and manufacture does not have one. Funny he said if I can source one he would do my service at discount plus re buy the port from me. The original quote was $400 Very nice guy. I was searching more and I found another place here Rennology. I call them up and the tech admitted that yes they do offer that service and they usually perform these services on cars with 50K city driving or 80K highway. my A6 is now at 55K (mix drive) Their quote was $500 and when I told him about BMW guy he agree to meet me half way. I guess I will go there spring time since it's around half day turnaround.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Excellent post. $400-$500 is a great price. For the adapter, the ones for BMW are cast aluminum in the shape of the port and the blast wand/tube then inserts through the adapter so it seals and none of the media flys out when blasting. You can take the various hose ends from most shop vacs and heat one to make the shape close, then tape a towel or large rag around it so when pushed into the port it will seal around it and accomplish the same thing. The main thing is to ensure valves are completely closed.

We have several before and after dyno graphs showing at different miles a before run and after run to show the power loss that was regained, and anywhere from as low as 5k miles to some don't show loss until 15-20k depending on the type of engine oil used, how well rings seated, etc. so well worth it. You can avoid most all of it by installing a system like the A6 owner here did. That won't stop all, but reduces it greatly.

Another thing to think of is the valve guide wear for those waiting 50k plus miles. The valve guides are a softer brass alloy usually and the deposits on the valve stem are drawn into the guide with every open and close cycle causing wear.

These pictures show how this occurs:

Name:  Valve%20stem%20guide%20wear_zps7hwlsobf.jpg
Views: 4586
Size:  5.9 KB
Name:  Valve%20wear%20from%20coking_zpslelrfa7l.jpg
Views: 4574
Size:  6.5 KB
Name:  2014%20Ford%20focus%20and%202012%20Mini%20026_zpssziaxfzh.jpg
Views: 4706
Size:  269.1 KB

You usually don't get the misfires, etc. that are real noticeable until your reaching this level:

Name:  DI%20valves%20at%2040k%20miles_zpsamoe32yi.jpg
Views: 5654
Size:  189.9 KB

And that can be as early as 30k miles, or not until well over 50k depending on the other factors discussed.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by trlman
The installation is quite simple, the two hoses off the back of the valve covers which are connected to the bottom of the manifold, are disconnected. A tap is placed into the air intake, after the air filter, and this is connected to the passenger side valve cover. A plug is the put into the hose removed from that side.

On the drivers side, a hose is run from the valve cover to a baffled, "American Made" catch can, and the hose that came of the valve cover supplies the necessary vacuum.
Can you post a couple of pictures of your set up? My valve covers have a large black plastic thing on the back of them.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well there has to be some carbon build up otherwise why would they have added a second injector for the new CREC 3.0tfsi for 2016-2017.
2016 3.0TFSI on A6 similar to 2016 S4? ....
Old 12-08-2016, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by marsbar1976
Well there has to be some carbon build up otherwise why would they have added a second injector for the new CREC 3.0tfsi for 2016-2017.
2016 3.0TFSI on A6 similar to 2016 S4? ....
Some engines have both port injectors and DFI. The reason for the addition of the port injectors is to reduce emissions. This is generally more important in the EU. Port injection has better mixing of air and fuel and is used most of the time. The DFI is used for idling and heavy engine loads only. The additional benefit of port injection is that it cleans the intake port area. Engines destined for the US generally do not have the addition of port injectors but some designs include them for all markets.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ford also released the 2017 Ecoboost V6 with small port injectors. The intent is to slow the formation of the coking deposits (Audi claimed it was to "improve off idle throttle response" which it also does). The problem then arises that there is now some combustible mixture present during the compression strike, so detonation and the resulting knock retard is increased. Emissions are the best with pure DI, but that is only when new.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Would post pic's, but haven't figured it out yet. Send email and I will send them to you.

Mitch
Old 12-09-2016, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Mitch-To upload your pics make sure your under the advanced options, select the paper clip icon, then select upload file, pick the photos from wherever you have them stored then select upload.

Quick Reply: Valve coking and direct injection engines