Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Valve coking and direct injection engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RX Performance A6 3.0T Catch can

A few pictures of RX Performance catch can installation. Note, on pass. side of car, a tap was installed after air filter to supply clean filtered air to valve cover. The hose removed from valve cover was plugged.

On the drivers side the hose removed from valve cover was used to supply vacuum to catch can. The valve cover port was then connected to the supply side of the catch can.

The only other item in the installation is a check valve installed in the vacuum line to the catch can.

As you can see, it's quite simple, and hopefully it will slow down the accumulation of carbon the valves.
Attached Thumbnails Valve coking and direct injection engines-20161209_193704.jpg   Valve coking and direct injection engines-20161209_194315.jpg   Valve coking and direct injection engines-20161209_194700.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by trlman:
A665 (01-14-2020), Cyyzgnus (12-16-2020)
Old 12-09-2016, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by trlman
A few pictures of RX Performance catch can installation.
TYVM for the pictures. I know that there's not many places to mount things under the Audi hood.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by trlman
A few pictures of RX Performance catch can installation. Note, on pass. side of car, a tap was installed after air filter to supply clean filtered air to valve cover. The hose removed from valve cover was plugged.

On the drivers side the hose removed from valve cover was used to supply vacuum to catch can. The valve cover port was then connected to the supply side of the catch can.

The only other item in the installation is a check valve installed in the vacuum line to the catch can.

As you can see, it's quite simple, and hopefully it will slow down the accumulation of carbon the valves.
You did this install yourself?
Old 12-09-2016, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No, installation was actually done by GDI Tech.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have read in VW forums where individuals have installed catch cans in newer models and the catch cans are not really picking up much at all. I believe that since VW and Audi have addressed the crankcase pressure issue, it will likely take much longer for the carbon to build up in these newer engines.

VWVortex.com - APR Oil Catch Can 20K Maintenance Update.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In the 100 miles covered from installation of can to first check, a noticeable accumulation was present. It was only a few drops, but it did do some extraction.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts

FWIW my approach to this issue is as follows:

1. While car under warranty, no modifications -- don't want to give VAG any excuse to point finger at me/deny warranty claims.
2. Oil and filter changes religiously every 4 months/4,000 miles, whichever comes first.
3. Top tier fuel only.
4. Hope for best but prepare for worst -- put a few bucks away for possible valve cleaning once during my ownership of the car (which will not exceed 5-5.5 years/60-70,000 miles).

I'm not very happy about this potential issue or the recent emissions issue but I'm not going to let either of these issues detract from my enjoyment of an otherwise very pleasant car.

Best,
Jeff
Old 12-10-2016, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
I'm not very happy about this potential issue or the recent emissions issue but I'm not going to let either of these issues detract from my enjoyment of an otherwise very pleasant car.
Exactly my sentiments, however it is giving me second thoughts about buying the Q7 my wife wants for her next vehicle...

Last edited by DanfZX14; 12-10-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I have read in VW forums where individuals have installed catch cans in newer models and the catch cans are not really picking up much at all. I believe that since VW and Audi have addressed the crankcase pressure issue, it will likely take much longer for the carbon to build up in these newer engines.

VWVortex.com - APR Oil Catch Can 20K Maintenance Update.
That would be due to most have little understanding how to properly route, and 99% of cans on the market only trap 15-30% of the toal oil and other contaminates. The few cans that catch 95% plus are the RX, the Elite E2 and E2-X, and a few others. Next most effective is the Saiku Micchi. From there, mishimoto and Moroso, etc. all are very low in effectiveness no matter the claims.

Running top tier fuel has absolutely no effect on the coking, but is essential to keep injectors clean and spray pattern correct.

Main thing is the full synthetic oil that has the greatest impact on reducing the rate of coking formation.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GDI Tech
That would be due to most have little understanding how to properly route, and 99% of cans on the market only trap 15-30% of the toal oil and other contaminates. The few cans that catch 95% plus are the RX, the Elite E2 and E2-X, and a few others. Next most effective is the Saiku Micchi. From there, mishimoto and Moroso, etc. all are very low in effectiveness no matter the claims.

Running top tier fuel has absolutely no effect on the coking, but is essential to keep injectors clean and spray pattern correct.

Main thing is the full synthetic oil that has the greatest impact on reducing the rate of coking formation.
So, what impact is VW/Audi's change to the crankcase pressure control and oil consumption? Audi's were famous for consuming large quantities of oil several years ago and having severe problems with carbon buildup. The carbon issue for my 2016 Audi and 2016 VW remain to be seen but both use essentially no oil. It think this is a major factor.

Quick Reply: Valve coking and direct injection engines