Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Well - that didn't take long. Looks like 3.0 TDIs are also affected by Dieselgate!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting the EPA says the 2016 A8 equipped with the 3.0 diesel is affected. I don't think Audi is selling the A8 swb in the US anymore (except the S8) and the TDI was only available in the LWB for years 2014-15.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

"Calls to ban diesel cars from London over VW emissions scandal
…There are calls for London to ban diesel vehicles from the capital following the Volkswagen (VW) emissions scandal". (BBC)

London is full of diesels as is most of the UK and just about every Audi you see.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, if approved, there would be much less traffic, noise and pollution in London. Every cloud has a silver lining.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is going to cost VW Group a lot of money, but history still shows that there will be little effect to the consumer, especially in that this is not a safety issue, and these are still great cars. If you think about it, the effect in driving the cars has been zilch. And resale value won't be much effected after this initial period unless the fix causes a major performance issue. Gas mileage will still be much better than gasoline cars, the cars will drive pretty much the same, and there are no reliability issues associated with it.

The Exxon Valdez and BP explosion had no effect on people's perception of those two companies and those events have largely been forgotten as relates to consumer spending. Even the GM bailout that caused so many people to threaten to never buy from them has not hurt them.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Now they are saying VAG is killing people. I knew this would eventually be next...

Study: Volkswagen?s emissions cheat to cause 60 premature deaths in U.S. | MIT News

60 deaths over 10 years? That's not much of an impact considering say, 3K deaths per year from coal power plants. I'm actually pretty sure that the impact from natural gas fired hot water heaters create more NOx pollution than this...

I think it downplays the issue, to be honest.

However, I'm digressing. I bought this car with the promise that it was as clean (cleaner?) than gas with better gas mileage. The tradeoff was that I needed to put adblue in and I would be replacing the DPF at 120K-ish. I bought that story.

The EPA rules are clear, the test methodology is clear and the software does seem to "study for the test". It would be moderately humorous if VAG disclosed this in their EPA application and nobody read it thus making it "ok". IMHO, the detail in the EPA report is impressive considering its only been a month or so since they started looking at other models.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the 3.0L are affected. Why would VW deny it when they pretty much came out and accepted the 2.0L scandal? Wouldn't that have also been a good time to mention other possible affected models? Instead they also said at the same time the 3.0L diesel isn't affected.

Strange. Either way, wouldn't have my A6 any other way
Old 11-03-2015, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm at the point where, basically, I don't know what to think. We just bought the car and will own it for at least the next 3-4 years. At this point, the only thing I can do is hang on for the ride and see what happens at the end.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It appears unlikely that if a 3.0 TDI in one model is affected that all are not. Any thoughts on what actions those of us that bought one should take
Old 11-03-2015, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

There's really nothing for affected model owners to do - the car is safe and can be driven legally. Wait and see how it develops - it will take some time for VAG to figure out how to proceed.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find this fascinating as I checked with Audi International since I just ordered a new 2016 TDI. They even said my car is not affected. See my post about it at the following link - reply #58:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...2884523/page6/

Quick Reply: Well - that didn't take long. Looks like 3.0 TDIs are also affected by Dieselgate!