Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 206394

Default Camshaft Installation - "00 A6 4.2 ART

I'm installing the intake camshaft on the left bank. Is there anyway to depress the valve springs so I can just lay the cam in and bolt down the caps?

If there isn't a tool or trick, I guess just carefully bolt down the caps following the torque sequence?

Thanks,
Skyrex
Skyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 44417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrex View Post
I'm installing the intake camshaft on the left bank. Is there anyway to depress the valve springs so I can just lay the cam in and bolt down the caps?

If there isn't a tool or trick, I guess just carefully bolt down the caps following the torque sequence?

Thanks,
Skyrex
No…you don't want to do that because the various pistons are at various heights. You put the cam in (I use a little assembly lube on the lobes) and put the bearing caps on and just start the bearing cap bolts. Then bring down the caps maybe one or two turns at a time using the torque sequence.
Make DAMN sure you get the caps on the same way they came off!
SloopJohnB@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 206394

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com View Post
No…you don't want to do that because the various pistons are at various heights. You put the cam in (I use a little assembly lube on the lobes) and put the bearing caps on and just start the bearing cap bolts. Then bring down the caps maybe one or two turns at a time using the torque sequence.
Make DAMN sure you get the caps on the same way they came off!
Thanks for the direction. The motor was at TDC when I removed the camshaft. So, hopefully, that will eliminate any interference problem.

I'll take the cap bolts down a couple turns at a time following the torque sequence. And, I numbered the caps when I took them out. Will also do the lube.

Tx,
Skyrex
Skyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 44417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrex View Post
Thanks for the direction. The motor was at TDC when I removed the camshaft. So, hopefully, that will eliminate any interference problem.

I'll take the cap bolts down a couple turns at a time following the torque sequence. And, I numbered the caps when I took them out. Will also do the lube.

Tx,
Skyrex
Probably irrelevant…IIRC the little arrows on the cams need to line up with the arrows on the bearing caps (both intake and exhaust), then make sure there's the correct number of links between the cam sprockets. BTW, this would have been a great time to replace the plastic shoes on the cam chain tensioner…they're only $22 a pair or so online. If you haven't buttoned everything up….
SloopJohnB@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement