A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Engine Pull!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission PRNDS all lit.....

The Transmission PRNDS all lit after the shifter was moved while the sensor by the drivers axle was unplugged.
So the shifter is in neutral and doesn't really go into park. Could that be from not trying to put it back in park with the car running?

It displays park on the dash while the shifter is in neutral.
Can This be resolved just by moving the shifter back to park while the car is running and then just cycle the car? Nothing feels broke.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone know how to get these back in sync?

Aside from the transmission position sensor and the ppersistent PITA oil leak on drivers side turbo. The rest of ththe car us ready to go.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deviantirish

Anyone know how to get these back in sync?

Aside from the transmission position sensor and the ppersistent PITA oil leak on drivers side turbo. The rest of ththe car us ready to go.
This pdf might help, Good Luck!
Attached Files
Old 11-23-2014, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcman
This pdf might help, Good Luck!
Thank you for the PDF file.

However is there a way to force the car in to neutral for towing? Besides unbolting the axles and drive shaft?
The car still is in park even if I move the shifter. Took out the shift bezel and inspected to see of anything there was broke. But it looks all ok in there.

The shift lever moves freely with no tension except for when putting it in park. I took the mot out while it was in park and put it back in while in park.
The multi switch was unplugged when it was put into gear. I think that some how got them out of sync. Now it is permanently in park.

The axles and rear drive all moved freely while i was bolting the axles in and the drive shaft. Didn't lock up until i set it on the ground.

Last edited by deviantirish; 11-23-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Would this happen to be a tow switch?
Old 11-23-2014, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Would this happen to be a tow switch?
No. It's the headlight leveling control rheostat and linkage to a lower control arm.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the PDF file.

However is there a way to force the car in to neutral for towing? Besides unbolting the axles and drive shaft?
The car still is in park even if I move the shifter. Took out the shift bezel and inspected to see of anything there was broke. But it looks all ok in there.

The shift lever moves freely with no tension except for when putting it in park. I took the mot out while it was in park and put it back in while in park.
The multi switch was unplugged when it was put into gear. I think that some how got them out of sync. Now it is permanently in park.

The axles and rear drive all moved freely while i was bolting the axles in and the drive shaft. Didn't lock up until i set it on the ground.
Take a look at this pdf, it might help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AUDI-C-C5-AT01.pdf (85.4 KB, 93 views)
Old 11-24-2014, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

To that point. So tired of working on this car. Get to dump another couple hundred in fluids and yank the damn thing out again to fix the oil and coolant leak. Unbolted the axles and diff to trailer it to the mechanic's shop where I get to work on it again. Since there is no way to get it in neutral with the multi-switch being out of sync. So there's some more money to throw at it after the $2300 I have already put in to it.
Wonder if anyone would buy a $9k 2.7t?
Old 11-24-2014, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

To that point. So tired of working on this car. Get to dump another couple hundred in fluids and yank the damn thing out again to fix the oil and coolant leak. Unbolted the axles and diff to trailer it to the mechanic's shop where I get to work on it again. Since there is no way to get it in neutral with the multi-switch being out of sync. So there's some more money to throw at it after the $2300 I have already put in to it.
Wonder if anyone would buy a $9k 2.7t?
So save the ATF and the engine oil. If it's new just filter it through cheesecloth and use a clean container. Reuse it.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Going at it again.

So going to tackle the car again this weekend to get the oil and coolant leak fixed. And get the transmission back in sync.

About the transmission. The cable that runs from the shifter to the transmission only tells the Multi-switch what gear the shifter is in and then the switch tells the TCM. Correct?

I know there is a cable adjustment on the cable by the switch. So I am figuring that since The engine pull it just needs adjusted to get them back in sync with each other.

Quick Reply: Engine Pull!