A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Front impeller cv joint

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blink
........so, have you a reply to the issue?
Actually will anybody? without knowing what the part is.
Hey I'm just trying to help you, good luck.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ten minutes of searching

Try this link: http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/C5..._CVBootDIY.pdf

Or: AudiWorld Tech Articles

And this one:https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...2851936/page2/

The last one has a parts breakdown.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SO let me get thios strait??

I can get a rebuilt axle for $40 to $60 each (Includes new boots and at least fresh grease on both ends)

Or I can spend $10 to $20 per boot ($20 to $40 an axle) and have to clean the old grease off, and hope the tear has not let in enough road grime to case issues???
Old 09-19-2014, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by N_Jay
SO let me get thios strait??

I can get a rebuilt axle for $40 to $60 each (Includes new boots and at least fresh grease on both ends)

Or I can spend $10 to $20 per boot ($20 to $40 an axle) and have to clean the old grease off, and hope the tear has not let in enough road grime to case issues???
Depends on a fews factors as far of price, many of the members mention Raxles rebuids with a higher price than $60 and others including myself have bought them new for $100 in the box at NAPA or other AP stores, also depends on how much power you are throwing at them in short.

Re-boots are good if you caught it in a short time with no joint wear of course, yep even the chain AP stores sell them around $20.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cv on the front of the prop shaft is what I was talking about. Your thinking the cv on the half axles.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Drive shaft and axle shaft

The cv on the front of the prop shaft is what I was talking about. Your thinking the cv on the half axles.
I guess when you said "flung grease" and "cv" and calling parts others things that would lend to the suggestion of axle shaft, yes?

Then you call a part a "hood" when 99% of us know that a hood is a body panel or somewere you live, if you called a drive shaft a drive shaft instead of a propeller/impeller then your question would of been very clear to most of us.

Hell blink my other spoken languge is German with a bit of Italian swear words and I'm still perplexed by your verbage, try searching drive-shaft instead.

Last edited by jcman; 09-19-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did. The proper name is Propeller shaft. I call it that, or a drive shaft. I searched it, and found nothing on the particular issue that was of any use. I say hood instead of boot, but they are both the same. Like door cards instead of door panels, or my favorite, the boot instead of trunk. I contacted the manufacturer. The prop/drive shaft uses a retaining clip to fasten the end of the shaft to the cv. The grease came from the failure of the shop that pulled my tranny, not the gal but the gearbox, to use the supplied gasket on the end of the cv. Wholesaleimportparts is just going to warranty the whole unit. Now I have to build a jig, not the dance, the tool.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I did. The proper name is Propeller shaft. I call it that, or a drive shaft. I searched it, and found nothing on the particular issue that was of any use. I say hood instead of boot, but they are both the same. Like door cards instead of door panels, or my favorite, the boot instead of trunk. I contacted the manufacturer. The prop/drive shaft uses a retaining clip to fasten the end of the shaft to the cv. The grease came from the failure of the shop that pulled my tranny, not the gal but the gearbox, to use the supplied gasket on the end of the cv. Wholesaleimportparts is just going to warranty the whole unit. Now I have to build a jig, not the dance, the tool.
Yes but the common name is drive shaft front to back and axle shaft to the wheels driven, no biggie.
Hope this helps and good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
C5 Prop adjust.pdf (164.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 09-19-2014, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Or this one too
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
C5 prop shaft.pdf (112.0 KB, 72 views)
Old 09-19-2014, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey thanks for the pdf. Now that is some useful information.

Quick Reply: Front impeller cv joint