A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Hood Latch Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ReaperAudi2.7t
Yep, its the hood latch sensor. Getting the whole assembly.

Can you post the part number and how much it cost?
Old 08-08-2013, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nzaudia6
Can you post the part number and how much it cost?
I havent got a part number, but its the whole latch assembly and i got a used one for about 40$
Old 08-08-2013, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ReaperAudi2.7t
Car Info: 2000 Audi A6 2.7t Quattro

This is my wifes car, so this is all second hand. She had said there was a rattling noise and that it stopped after a loud clunk. I open the hood and find that the radiator fan had sliced through one of the wires that are zip tied just above it. I also found this little guy and the other end of the wires all chewed up.

It appears to be the hood latch sensor as it looks like something was quite possibly ripped from that area.

Now further issue is that it does not show an indicator or issue with the hood being open. Assuming that the sensor is missing, should it not indicate something like that?

Also, when driving the car temp gauge says it warms up fine (from my wife here on) And then after a few miles she says the temp drops all the way to "C" (cool) at highway speeds after just a couple miles.

So my question is... IS that the hood latch sensor? If so, whats the part number or if you have a link to where i can order it that would be fantastic.

Is the cooling issue due to the sensor, (or as i think) or is it possibly another separate issue?

We did just have the Timing belt, water pump stuff done... also replaced the power steering rack (and my wallet thanks you for the sympathy).

OK..it's the microswitch for the alarm system. On my 2K4.2A6 and the 02S6, if you alarm the car while sitting inside and wait 30 seconds for the flashing light on the door locks (where the old locks used to be) to go slow and then open the hood, the alarm will go off.

If you leave the hood unlatched but not open and attempt to arm the alarm, the alarm won't set....the lights won't blink and the horn won't honk.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Edit: Apparently there is a latch sensor? news to me. Never saw any warnings about driving with the latch open.

I will check my hood this morning.

Second, there is something wrong with your temperature sensor. Time to replace it. While a stuck open thermostat can drop the temperature at highway driving a few degrees, it will never go down to cold.
You can see it from the inside of the engine compartment...there's a wire leading to it.
It's the microswitch for the alarm system.

You'd think they would have coded the switch to the LCD display on the instrument panel as well to indicate when the hood is partially unlatched when in Drive.

I guess those sly German engineers figured you could just look out the windshield and see the hood was slightly popped.
Or perhaps taxi drivers using audis pop the hood in heavy traffic to let hot air out...I've seen Nigerian taxi drivers do the same thing to Crown Vic taxis in DC....maybe they're on to something....