A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Moving Bose system (2001 A6)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay
How do you pull the head?
2002-2005 Audi A6/Allroad Symphony II Radio removal - YouTube
Old 04-09-2015, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pr0xZen
I've never really handled one of the Bose subwoofers IRL - how is it construction-wise? would it hold up to some reasonably rated and approriately sized aftermarket woofer elements? Whith the right thickness and more importantly, cruving and profiling - plastic can be pretty stiff and sturdy.

If so, one might be able to put some decent 4 or 2x2ohm elements in the enclosure..? I've seen images of both single and dual woofer element designs - were there different ones or is it an Avant/Sedan design difference..?
My 01 had the Bose Symphony I rated at 150watts with one sub driver, the current 04 has the Symphony II rated at 200watts (for sure) with two sub drivers, sedans and Avants are the same.

It's really not worth upgrading with the stock Bose equipment even with driver replacements, it's been done by a few with not-so-good results in this forum.

Audi would of been better offering an enhanced version of the Monsoon system like in the VW's......Audi's version of Bose is..is..well it's just so so and nothing really serious to compare to, now if I could get my 1982 Bose 501 series 5's in the car that would be a bit different because they don't suck.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcman
It's really not worth upgrading with the stock Bose equipment even with driver replacements, it's been done by a few with not-so-good results in this forum.
So the enclosure is part of the problem? What a shame. I've looking towards installing an aftermarket component system with a small'ish subwoofer, but I prefer a close-to-stock look, not a big box I have to move when I need full space. Thought maybe the Bose woofer box itself, stripped out, could make an OK enclosure.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Homemade radio tool

Or you can make your own tool, print this image on a paper and make sure it is 5cm long when printed (should already be done for you but double check). Transfer to a card and use the outline to cut out your own set of Radio tool keys.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2015, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So the enclosure is part of the problem? What a shame. I've looking towards installing an aftermarket component system with a small'ish subwoofer, but I prefer a close-to-stock look, not a big box I have to move when I need full space. Thought maybe the Bose woofer box itself, stripped out, could make an OK enclosure.
The enclosure is rated for the stock drivers that are small, I suppose if you can find the size, ohm rating, frequency range, coil diameter and excursion that is similar you might have better results but the area of the box has limits.

Now's the time to join AudioKarma, as a member too I have found quite a bit of excellent info about anything audio.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

The enclosure is rated for the stock drivers that are small, I suppose if you can find the size, ohm rating, frequency range, coil diameter and excursion that is similar you might have better results but the area of the box has limits.

Now's the time to join AudioKarma, as a member too I have found quite a bit of excellent info about anything audio.
Any difference in driver size, for the single and dual driver boxes? Small drivers utilized in a proper design, can make quite a lot better use of small space than Bose managed to do in this case. Some drivers are nigh-on flat.

Maybe one could split the enclosure, stiffen it up with a couple of layers with fiberglass... but I have no idea if the construction and material itself, or the box volume - is the bigger hinderance.

I've built custom fiberglass enclosures before, but those were to fill the void behind the wheelarch in a cupé hatchback. The A6 (avant) trunk has a flat trunk wall.
-
Sorry, really thread-jacking here. I'll leave it there.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Any difference in driver size, for the single and dual driver boxes? Small drivers utilized in a proper design, can make quite a lot better use of small space than Bose managed to do in this case. Some drivers are nigh-on flat.

Maybe one could split the enclosure, stiffen it up with a couple of layers with fiberglass... but I have no idea if the construction and material itself, or the box volume - is the bigger hinderance.

I've built custom fiberglass enclosures before, but those were to fill the void behind the wheelarch in a cupé hatchback. The A6 (avant) trunk has a flat trunk wall.
-
Sorry, really thread-jacking here. I'll leave it there.
Oh don't kid yourself, I do know that Bose will get the most sound out of a small area "hands down" and their so-called research is really more then marketing that because Bose is correct in the math and design, but Bose drivers are not stellar by any degree so we get a trade-off in that balance.

Honestly I wouldn't waste a penny on car audio if it works IMHO, home sound system hell yes!
Old 04-09-2015, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh don't kid yourself, I do know that Bose will get the most sound out of a small area "hands down" and their so-called research is really more then marketing that because Bose is correct in the math and design, but Bose drivers are not stellar by any degree so we get a trade-off in that balance.

Honestly I wouldn't waste a penny on car audio if it works IMHO, home sound system hell yes!
Thats what I was suggesting - the bose drivers aren't exactly a stellar piece of hardware, in this case. Sometimes they do amazing things like their QuietComfort headsets, but here... the enclosure hardly says anything about the optimum performance of a speaker, it alone is like a chassis without engine and drivetrain. Can't just put anything in there and expect it to be ammount to a great experience.

I do have a great home stereo - but due to circumstances I rarely get to use it. Thus the car is my "personal space".
Old 04-09-2015, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Anyone every replace the factory amp with and aftermarket unit? I would think that more power and better crossovers could help.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I guess I am not going to mess with it.
Not that into music, but I do know one thing for sure. Any part I don't grab will die on my car in the next 6 months.

Quick Reply: Moving Bose system (2001 A6)