A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Is my car already tuned/chipped?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my car already tuned/chipped?

Hi, a couple years ago I took over a 6-speed 2.7t A6 from my brother. He was not the first owner (He may have been the 2nd, but I can't be certain, he got it from a specialty used dealer). Anyway, I got it after I totaled my E39 BMW 540i, also 6-speed. The reason I'm curious is because it feels a lot faster under lot of conditions than my former V8-engined vehicle (we're talking officially 292hp, 320tq versus 250hp/tq for the Audi with apparently similar weights). I'm thinking about potentially tuning it down the road but obviously it would be nice if I happened to "win the lottery" and get a car where that had already been done. My brother definitely did not do a tune and everything else is stock (except for a single-mass flywheel when I had the clutch redone last year).

So is there some kind of "test" I could do without resorting to a dyno? Crack open the ECU? See if I can change modes (if it got a tune that allows that)? Any suggestions, but basically just want to know what I have.

Before my BMW got wrecked, my brother and I had been planning on trading for a week or two and driving each other's cars on our normal business just to compare since they were more or less direct competitors at the time they were made.

Thanks, and if it turns out there's no real way to check without a dyno, oh well.

Flint
2001 Audi A6 2.7t (6-man)
1984 Porsche 928 S2 (slushbox)
Old 10-22-2016, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My previous ride was a 2000 2.7t with an apr tune which i could switch between stock mode and the apr 93 octane mode by pushing in the cruise control button, now, this is assuming you have a similar setup, but on mine if you hold the button in for a few seconds the check engine light will flash once, five times, if you release the button you'd be in stock mode, but if you keep pushing the button in, after the fifth blink, the check engine light would do a double blink five times, so to activate the 93 octane tune you'd release the button during that sequence. Should you have a third programned tune for another octane, keep holding the button and it'll blink three times quickly for five times....now, this was for an apr tune, not sure how a giac, revo or other tune was accessible - assuming more than one tune was programmed. So that may or may not help, not sure if you could contact apr, giac, etc and maybe they'd have your vin on record, can't recall what info i gave them originally
Old 10-24-2016, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll give it a try. FWIW, my CEL is on pretty much all the time for various stupid reasons. I'll maybe have to clear it with my code reader and test it before it comes back.