A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 11:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Main Radiator Fan Relay

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main Radiator Fan Relay

I am stumped.

While doing the timing belt, I discovered that at some point prior to my ownership, the main electric radiator fan had been unplugged at its connector near the power steering reservoir. Curious as to why this was un plugged, I plugged it back it. The fan immediately roared to life, and after waiting 2-3 minutes with a cold engine for it to shut off, I unplugged it again.

In my searches of the forums, it seems that the few people that have had a similar issue, have reported that the '219' relay in the weatherproof ECU box is the culprit. I have opened the ECU box, and there is nothing aside from the ECU in there.

Car is a 2000 A6 2.7T 6 speed.

Anyone have any idea where the mystery relay might live in this car?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think you may want the fuse/relay box under the hood, beneath the plastic panel at the base of the windshield, driver's side. As far as I know, that's where most of the relays live on the A-6 (maybe A-4s and A-8s, too). Good luck.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the fan relays are under the dash on the drivers side,
Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JoeM
the fan relays are under the dash on the drivers side,
Thanks!

Do you have any idea which relay number/position I am looking for?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by A62.7TBend
Thanks!

Do you have any idea which relay number/position I am looking for?

8-fold relay panel relays
(underneath left side dashboard)

2 - Engine cooling fan relay, high speed (J101)
3- Engine cooling fan relay (J26)

From left to right:

fuse 14 -relay 1 -relay 2-...
Old 06-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How do you get the plastic cover off to access these fuses and relays?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a hunch that the problem is with the fan control module, which is bolted to a driver side vertical frame member near the side of the radiator. Could be that the fan was unplugged to stop the jet engine fan roar that happens when the module fails and goes to the default highest speed setting. You can see the module from under the car, but it is difficult to replace due to limited access to the 2 10mm bolts. You might be able to get it out with a ratcheting box end wrench. But starting the bolts to mount the new module will be a beeaaccch unless you pull the bumper cover and assume the service lock position. Then it's a piece of cake.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by johnkk
assume the service lock position. Then it's a piece of cake.
Haven't we all heard that before... lol
Old 02-02-2016, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by A62.7TBend
I am stumped.

While doing the timing belt, I discovered that at some point prior to my ownership, the main electric radiator fan had been unplugged at its connector near the power steering reservoir. Curious as to why this was un plugged, I plugged it back it. The fan immediately roared to life, and after waiting 2-3 minutes with a cold engine for it to shut off, I unplugged it again.

In my searches of the forums, it seems that the few people that have had a similar issue, have reported that the '219' relay in the weatherproof ECU box is the culprit. I have opened the ECU box, and there is nothing aside from the ECU in there.

Car is a 2000 A6 2.7T 6 speed.

Anyone have any idea where the mystery relay might live in this car?

Thanks!
Hello did you ever find where relay 219 was in having the same problem but I can't find the darn relay
Old 02-02-2016, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default here is ebahn pic of relay panel.

Originally Posted by Angel_agustin
Hello did you ever find where relay 219 was in having the same problem but I can't find the darn relay
FWIW I can't find any such 219 relay on the wiring diagram. Relays are normally J prefix, I looked for J219, no joy. However, I had a similar problem with my 2K4.2A6 where the fan wouldn't shut off with the engine off. I found a relay under the plenum cover, like a main relay, big 40amp sucker or some such, that when I pulled it from its socket the fan went off. I kept the relay out except when I wanted to drive the car until I got a new relay. The new relay worked. I disassembled the old relay and the points had welded closed.

Open the big plastic box under the plenum cover. It's right in front of the driver side. Four or five bolts into the plastic box, the back two can be a beatch to get out, don't break the box cover! With the engine off and the coolant fans running, pull one relay at a time until you find the right one. It should be #2 or #3 so start with those.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Main Radiator Fan Relay